User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INFP or INTP?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default INFP or INTP?

I am fairly confused about which type I actually am.
    I am comfortable with using logic and uncomfortable with expressing emotion but I am definitely capable of understanding feelings and feel that in my social relationships, I emphasize harmony over efficency. I am interested in NT things, but I know that one of my main focuses is relationships, which is part of why I became interested in MBTI.

How I would describe my reasoning process is that I always have a 'gut feeling' about what feels right or what feels wrong. However, I often use logic to analyze these gut feelings and decide from there what seems more likely.

INFP or INTP? Who knows?

A part of it is that I most often test as INTP, but when looking at the profiles
    Here's how I think this should work out.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you think will help me understand the differences between Thinking and Feeling and from there, I can decide what type I am most likely am.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The best advice I can give (given the information above) is that you're searching for the wrong things.

Don't look for differences in T and F, look for differences in INTP and INFP.

Look at as much as you can of either type. Find the things they have in common, and then find the things that contrast.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

hmmm... we need to start compiling these INFP/INTP threads and see what actual definitive rules could be drawn...

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I am comfortable with using logic and uncomfortable with expressing emotion but I am definitely capable of understanding feelings and feel that in my social relationships, I emphasize harmony over efficiency. I am interested in NT things, but I know that one of my main focuses is relationships, which is part of why I became interested in MBTI.
    Well, none of those definitive in regards to type. You can be an INFP who can feel your way through conventional logic, and you can be an INTP who can think your way through relationships.

How I would describe my reasoning process is that I always have a 'gut feeling' about what feels right or what feels wrong. However, I often use logic to analyze these gut feelings and decide from there what seems more likely.
    Gut feelings smack of Perception functions, not judgment ones. (Conventionally this is attributed to iNtuitive functions... but Sensation functions can also be used to see all the details at once in something and thus result in a gut instinct. Sensates normally act on the instinct without really needing to articulate it, iNtuitives tend to articulate the instinct to themselves first or while acting.)

Feel free to ask me any questions that you think will help me understand the differences between Thinking and Feeling and from there, I can decide what type I am most likely am.
    Well, an INFP friend of mine and I are going through some difficult emotional times. When he is stressed, he often gets stuck in emotion lock in a way that I do not. While we both have "defective emotional responses" to things that we both can recognize as defective, he can't overcome his and needs people literally with him or talking to him to keep him from being swept away or he just loses himself. While I value people offering strength to me and giving me advice to stay on track, if I don't get it, I still agonize and meanwhile just stick with my thoughts even when my feelings are bad.

(So I think through my feelings, he "feels" through his thoughts. If that makes any sense at all to you.)

I do not mean to say Feeling=feelings, it's actually about values, but wherever "personal values" arise from do seem to be coming from a similar internal place as feelings do, and sometimes people even get confused as to what values they actually hold vs what feelings they are experiencing. (That is sort of another topic though.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I often find that I strongly desire reassurance from other people to get out of an 'emotional lock'. I have learned how to get around this though and am capable of 'using my thoughts' to get past emotion, but I subtly search for reassurance first always. Being a male, it is very different how I work stuff like this out. Most females I know who are stuck between T & F are almost always T types.. it is just part of the whole 'gender stereotype' thing.

I read both the INTP and INFP descriptions. Both types sound pretty cool. However, I think that INFP fits me better at this point. In high school, I thought I was a certain T but that was because I was practically molded into an "NT" stereotype. The only people who would think that I am an F type back home are my parents, but that is more so because I'm not "Thinking" enough (both TJ types). Since college, I realized how much more I let my feelings get to me than many other people (all T types).

Also, I tend to get along better with SF types than ST types. However, this may be simply because SF's are friendlier people overall and are more tolerant of my ideas than the ST's. Interesting how many people have the same problem though.

If I am an INFP, I have a weak F function and vice versa.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

If I am an INFP, I have a weak F function and vice versa.
    Why do you put this so negatively? I'd say you would be an INFP with a strong T-side or vice versa...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    INTJ

I am comfortable with using logic and uncomfortable with expressing emotion but I am definitely capable of understanding feelings and feel that in my social relationships, I emphasize harmony over efficency. I am interested in NT things, but I know that one of my main focuses is relationships, which is part of why I became interested in MBTI.

INFP or INTP? Who knows?

A part of it is that I most often test as INTP, but when looking at the profiles
    Here's how I think this should work out.

The fact that you have an avatar with someone aiming a gun says NOT INFP to me.

MBTI
    INFP

If you finish this sentence, I think we might be able to offer more help.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    The fact that you have an avatar with someone aiming a gun says NOT INFP to me.
    I don't know about that...the only INFP I know IRL is obsessed with 24, and though she's against guns and war, she is able to separate reality from fiction. Her favorite character on the show is a woman who definitely knows her way around a gun. :-P

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't know about that...the only INFP I know IRL is obsessed with 24, and though she's against guns and war, she is able to separate reality from fiction. Her favorite character on the show is a woman who definitely knows her way around a gun. :-P
    The INFP I know won't let us even say the word Pokemon in her house!
    (because they're too violent)

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    If you finish this sentence, I think we might be able to offer more help.
    That's a good point lol.
    Haha!

What I was going to say was that I usually test as INTP but I think the INFP profile fits me more as a whole. When it comes to human relationships, I often play the role as the guy who listens to people's problems and gives advice. I was talking to someone who is also interested in MBTI and he believed that this was more F than T, because the INTP would be bothered by listening to the 'same problems' over and over again and consider the whole ordeal to be useless, since the INTP desires for 'efficiency' while the INFP desires for 'harmony', I know that at times, people are just looking for reassurance and not necessarily any solution to their lives. I always test as T though, since some of the questions include: Do you like logic? Do you value justice over mercy? etc. These are things I believe in, but I don't know if that necessarily makes me a T.

Also, I love "24"!! The suspense of that show is incredible. I haven't met too many people who have watched "24" and said that they disliked it. Jack Bauer is the man! 24 is for ALL personality types, I say!