User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 162

  1. #101
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    ...yes, this is a Te stance. What exactly are we disagreeing about?
    We're talking about Tinkerbell's attempt to transfer Ti ideas into Te practice without adequate evidence.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  2. #102
    Senior Member ubiquitous1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And the inconvenient truth is that MBTI is based on self deception and illusion rather than evidence and reason.
    Did you know that for a long time the existence of germs was scoffed at? That many doctors who advocated washing their hands, as a way to prevent disease, were laughed at ?

    I wonder if you were a doctor during the 1840s, would you have washed your hands? Or would you have been with the majority and laughed at the "unenlightened" doctors? Those stupid alchemists who wash their hands because there are "invisible" creatures on our hands which make us sick.

  3. #103
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ^ I think Victor's ardent opposition to typology (despite explanations that it's unscientific and unfalsifiable) comes down largely to Fi's indignation at being "boxed in." He thinks it's dehumanizing, hence all the nonsensical garbage about how people who use MBTI are incapable of intimacy and blah blah blah.

    It's just Fi whining that personality is too personal to be described in such seemingly clinical terms. He has no interest in whether or not it actually works; he'd rather just whine that his feelings have been hurt and use tertiary Ni to invent a bunch of ridiculous conspiracy theories about it.

    Of course, I have to wonder what a self-described histrionic extreme introvert with no connection to anything outside himself would know about intimacy with others anyway.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #104
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I think Victor's ardent opposition to typology
    I'm not opposed to typology which is the study of types - from mathematical types to types of literature, and even psychological types. I am though an ardent critic of MBTI.

    Fortunately this is no longer MBTI Central, rather it is Typology Central.

  5. #105
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I'm not opposed to typology which is the study of types. I am though an ardent critic of MBTI.

    Fortunately this is no longer MBTI Central, rather it is Typology Central.
    Then how is it that you still haven't figured out that almost no one on the board actually puts stock in MBTI? We use its categorical labels but it's almost universally understood that the test is unreliable...and yet, you keep burning the same straw man, as if in effigy of your own imaginary demons.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #106
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Then how is it that you still haven't figured out that almost no one on the board actually puts stock in MBTI? We use its categorical labels but it's almost universally understood that the test is unreliable...and yet, you keep burning the same straw man, as if in effigy of your own imaginary demons.
    When I arrived here 4,000 posts ago, no one criticized MBTI. But now it is commonplace.

    And you, dear Sim, are the perfect example of an MBTI critic.

    Welcome aboard.

  7. #107
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    When I arrived here 4,000 posts ago, no one criticized MBTI. But now it is commonplace.

    And you, dear Sim, are the perfect example of an MBTI critic.

    Welcome aboard.
    Thanks. Maybe you should find a new dead horse to beat into a bloody pulp.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  8. #108
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Thanks. Maybe you should find a new dead horse to beat into a bloody pulp.
    Nothing succeeds like excess.

  9. #109
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Nothing succeeds like excess.
    [insert vague solipsistic moralizing here]
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #110
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    I can predict what result people will get, ask them to take the test, and usually I'm right...how could I do this with a theory with no validity?

    That's the point though it's a theory...which in science is on a higher plane than empirical evidence, i.e., it uses the latter to support it but can't be simply reduced to it, it requires someone to generalize from evidence and use reasoning to explain it.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2017, 08:06 AM
  2. Where is the communication style test thread about MBTI types?
    By Jayce in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2016, 10:15 AM
  3. Which MBTI type is the most confusing one?
    By iHeartCats in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2014, 11:53 AM
  4. Where is the burden of proof in a misunderstanding?
    By Anew Leaf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
  5. Where is the "watcher"?
    By sculpting in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO