• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENF. P or J?

hommefatal

P and J descriptions are very vague.

I am very serious about things that are important to me. I hate making mistakes then. I strive for such situations but at the moment they are rare. But it surfaces in my political activism, and my tendency to discuss passionately. (NFJ)

I don't care at all about things that are not important to me. I do a minimum then. I usually try to avoid such situations but in school they happen to me frequently. (NP)

What do MBTI descriptions say?
Js like order.
Ps like being spontaneous.

I think this is retarded. I hate order, and I will rather write book about why order sucks than stick to order. I think I am not actually spontaneous. I usually plan my 'spontaneous' actions in advance. I'll give a good example: I know the MBTI descriptions by heart and tick those answers that sound 'better'. At first this may sound like a perceiving activity but if you look at it closely you see it's a judging activity. I would tick the same things again every time I take the test instead of spontaneously choosing something.

How I understand judging and perceiving.
Judging means to me you take things important to you seriously.
Perceiving means to me you decide rather spontaneously which things you take seriously.

I can't relate to "I act like a robot, I do everything I am told" which some judging descriptions sound like.

What I can relate to.
I can certainly relate to both NFJ and NP behaviour. According to how much I care I act differently. If I'm very serious about it I act like an ENFJ and if I don't care I act like an INTP. My general lack of interest made me think I am an INTP 9 months ago. I was depressed then though so I wasn't able to think clearly. I am also an opponent of conventional behaviour so I may have ticked just the opposite of what is socially accepted.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
How I understand judging and perceiving.
Judging means to me you take things important to you seriously.
Perceiving means to me you decide rather spontaneously which things you take seriously.

Yeah, no. I'm very aware of what things I take seriously in advance.

hommefatal

Yeah, no. I'm very aware of what things I take seriously in advance.
Yeah, it's hard to describe. But there has to be a difference. Saying Js love order and Ps love being spontaneous makes no sense. Maybe you could Js change their opinion less easily or something like that. Ah, criticism, I go crazy.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, it's hard to describe. But there has to be a difference. Saying Js love order and Ps love being spontaneous makes no sense. Maybe you could Js change their opinion less easily or something like that. Ah, criticism, I go crazy.

You're not looking deep enough, and you're focusing on stereotypes too much. I'm not sure of the validity of your own assessments of yourself, you may need to think a bit more about it. It's impossible to type someone if they can't accurately describe themselves. I can certainly agree that you are an ENFP, just going by the way that you're going about this typing yourself thing. When you say "spontaneous", do you mean outgoing, fun, crazy and wild and likes to just suddenly take a interstate trips that you probably cant afford? ENFPs aren't necessarily like that as far as I know. You are still growing, MBTI is very inaccurate for teens, to already know three of your letters is quite an accomplishment already. ;)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Healthy
P - undecided
J - Decided

Unhealthy
P - indecisive
J - inflexible

Both can exhibit undesirable traits when stressed, but the person who is a P is more likely to not want to make a rash decision or any, and a J will likely be focused on making what seems to be like the best decision.

I also believe it is how the person gets to the decision that portends J or P

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I know what you mean. I've been wondering about P and J myself. Ultimately, I had to look at my function order to decide. Structure is nice, but too much can be annoying and then you lose freedom. I also love spontaneity. I am not a very organized person by nature. I am very disorganized and not that structured. But if function order says I'm an ISTJ, then it wouldn't make any sense to call me an ISTP. Besides, I'm less inclined to take risks than an ISTP, etc. I'm a poor excuse for an ISTJ, but it's who I am. :/

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not to go against the previous posters, but I think the key question with J/P is dominant functions. I mean if you fall into the trap of decided v undecided or spontaneous v planned, it's very difficult for people who are kind of 50/50 on the issue.

For example, I like to plan my schedule in minute detail, but I leave room to maneuver when I can.

I like to go into a lesson prepared, but I allow for tangents if they are helpful or more or less time for activities as needed.

I like to make decisions and can be impatient, but I often grow tired of the status quo and need a change.

I organize all my book shelves according to subject matter, size, and subgroup (GAH!), have everything neatly organized in binders according to book, in consecutive order and in sheet protectors for every unit with every activity in envelopes in the sheet protectors, but during the week my stuff gets chaotic and I have to organize the stuff AGAIN every Monday (the stuff I've used - the other stuff is organized).

So would you call me J or P? Hard call! So you take a test like me, and you look at the results, which are anything but conclusive! Check out the signature 54/46, 55/45, 50/50, 50/50. Greeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaat, I could be ANYTHING!!!!

Until you look at functions. NO WAY IN HELL AM I AN Fe-dom!!!! My Fe is decent, and fairly well-developed due to my teaching, but I still have to use it consciously i.e. deliberately, not by nature. And my Ni pops up now and again, but very infrequently. So how could I be an ENFJ??? Doesn't work.

Or like the T/F question. Theoretically, I'd have to be a P, because the Ne is so high and that's a perceiving function. E is also pretty clear, as is N, otherwise no through-the-roof Ne. So theoretically, if you look at MBTI, I could be ENTP. I've even tested as ENTP a couple of times. Am I? Hell no, because that would mean that Ti would have to be one of my stronger functions, and it most definitely isn't. I guess you could argue that the strong T in the MBTI results is mostly from the Te function, which would not be an ENTP trait. I'm ENFP. Or, more accurately stated enfp, as none of the individual traits show any strong predominance unless seen through the perspective of cognitive functions, in which case you would say ENfp.

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm ENFP and can be very opinionated about things that matter. If I debate an issue I have thought about, I'm not likely to give in to anything else than better arguments. I love people who can take a nice heated debate with wit and courage. My good ENFJ friends are more diplomatic and because they feel responsible for everybody in social situations, including discussions of important things. They seem more likely to tone down differences of opinion if they feel conflict issues coming up, they'll easier shrug at them and suggest to talk about other things. Both types take things seriously but in my experience I'd take the debated issue a bit more serious while they'd take the social harmony a bit more serious.

hommefatal

I like to get things out of the way and I'm really occupied with them as long they're not finished. I am so perfectionist I never finish anything.

I don't particularly like starting or finishing things. If I keep being interested in something I always finish it.

Once I've stopped doing something I can't proceed.

I enjoy both taking information and deciding.

I don't take things seriously if they're not decided. I am likely to leave a loose relationship quickly but I am not likely to leave a marriage.

Judging (1-5)
* I like to have things decided. (5)
* I appear to be task oriented. (5)
* I like to make lists of things to do. (5)
* I like to get my work done before playing. (5)
* I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline. (1)
* Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information. (5)

Perceiving (1-5)
* I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens. (3)
* I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum. (5)
* I like to approach work as play or mix work and play. (5)
* I work in bursts of energy. (5)
* I am stimulated by an approaching deadline. (5)
* Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed. (3)

Actually I never prefer one. Either I use both or none.