• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Can You Spot It? Recognizing The 8 Cognitive Processes

How do you rate this book?

• * (worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
510Wx%2BJmKNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Well this isn't a book at all. It was a computer based training course lasting about 8 hours, including video and audio. There is a module for each of the cognitive functions. That isn't in of itself unique. What is unique is that the creator of the course (Vicky Jo Varner) trains you on what to look for to recognize when people are using each of those function attitudes. What exactly does Ne look like? What does Si look like? She will tell you. In addition to quoting Jung, she extensively quotes some of the more well known experts in the area - Berens, Beebee, Nardi, etc. She describes each of the 8 functions it in a fair amount of clarity, using words and visuals. Then on top of that, she provides links to numerous videos that demonstrates each of the 8 functions in action and there are also homework assignments which allow you to practice what you have learned. I loved this course. I learned more about functions in this course than any other place. It wasn't cheap, but I thought it was well worth it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
This is the first time I have ever even heard of that book.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait a minute. Is it a book or an actual course? I'm confused ������������

It's an online course. I thought it was excellent.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What kind of advice does she give on how to spot functions? For example, I have a hard time identifying Si ... mostly because I'm still not sure I understand what it is ... and then, if I think too hard, I realize I feel that way about nearly all the functions.

Not asking you to give away all $129 worth of trade secrets here, just asking for a general overview of her methods and suggestions with perhaps a couple of abbreviated examples.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What kind of advice does she give on how to spot functions? For example, I have a hard time identifying Si ... mostly because I'm still not sure I understand what it is ... and then, if I think too hard, I realize I feel that way about nearly all the functions.

Not asking you to give away all $129 worth of trade secrets here, just asking for a general overview of her methods and suggestions with perhaps a couple of abbreviated examples.

What she does is to thoroughly explain each of the cognitive functions in detail and then there are a bunch of videos that you watch which illustrate the functions. You are evaluating the words that someone is speaking and looking for the evidence of someone using the function. These are some things you'd look for in someone who is using Fe for example:

- People who are concerned about feelings of others
- People who do things for others
- Others focused behavior in general
- They think particular things are right and wrong because that is how people should behave
- Considering others and the group
- Organizing to meet others needs and honor their values and feelings
- Maintaining societal, organizational or group values
- Adjusting and accommodating others
- Deciding if something appropriate or acceptable to others
- Showing consideration for others
- Checking appropriateness of actions
- Affirming others

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

SI is when someone looks like they are a slow on the outside but inside are thinking deep thoughts...It's mistakable for NI but goes deeper in the sense that it involves memories and their attributes.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Could you get us a cracked version?

Or video it with a camera?

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Agreed.

Obviously this is her livelihood but some of us with limited funds might like to be enlightened as well.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I am going to do it, take the course.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Can you post what you think here?

I will be happy to. It'll be after I finish this mural project that I'm working on but I definitely intend to take the course.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
No. That is unethical and wrong.

I don't think so.

Although I know about cost and prices.....everything is worth something and some things are worth everything (if you listen to particular individuals that is) I just can't perceive this as being worth it. It just seems like getting money for shit-all while influencing people into the world of pseudo-psychology and to me that's unethical....although a lot of people make money for little effort all the time, which isn't bad in itself from my perspective, but this is like faith-healing to me as opposed to, say, a trite app which doesn't add anything of use but also doesn't harm....unless you count those addicting micro-transaction ones...what was my point again?

In any case, she's got a finger in your arse-wallet, get her finger out your arse. But it might just be my irrational dislike of her, I'm not going to rule that out, in fact you can read all about it on my new website, but there is an entry fee.

Ok I'll go at this in a different angle, what does she provide that other tests don't? In what way can the worth of that price be translated into the worth of the course? How is what she presents different from say....buying one of innumerable books on the same topic, explaining the same things with examples that don't cost a fraction of that price? You don't have be too 'unethical' with what you reveal just give a gist like others have requested.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yes, it is. It's stealing. Further, he runs this site. Out of anyone he would be the last person to do such a thing.

I don't think she would miss the money, think of it as charity towards the typology community.

I guess my moral compass is more flexible, morality can be dropped or picked up where necessary.

violett

A good example of Si would be when an individual can recall fact based detail with incredible accuracy which appears to be photographic memory. I worked with an attorney once who could recall an entire file he worked on to the extent that he could tell you exactly which book and page specific relevant information was located. And I am talking about the kind of information which most people would have had to take multiple notes to keep track of, it was almost as if his mind was organized like a filing cabinet and you requested a random piece of information from one of a hundred files in the cabinet and his mind flipped through the cabinets found the file flipped halfway through it and found the exact reference in a matter of seconds. It was really quite amazing (at least to me).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok I'll go at this in a different angle, what does she provide that other tests don't? In what way can the worth of that price be translated into the worth of the course? How is what she presents different from say....buying one of innumerable books on the same topic, explaining the same things with examples that don't cost a fraction of that price? You don't have be too 'unethical' with what you reveal just give a gist like others have requested.

I haven't seen a book that does a good job of helping you to evaluate someone's type by how they interact with you - with multiple video examples of each cognitive function.

It doesn't seem that expensive to me for what you get. It's an 8 hour course. It is obvious that she put a lot of effort into making it and I think the content is excellent.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I haven't seen a book that does a good job of helping you to evaluate someone's type by how they interact with you - with multiple video examples of each cognitive function.

It doesn't seem that expensive to me for what you get. It's an 8 hour course. It is obvious that she put a lot of effort into making it and I think the content is excellent.

Is this going to appear on the praise section of her website? But OK I get it, you've done it and respected the quality, I can't really ask more than that.

Well actually I can, but pretending I can't sounds better.