User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you rate this book?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • * (worst)

0 0%

0 0%

2 16.67%

5 41.67%
  • ***** (best)

5 41.67%

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Gifts Differing - Understanding Personality Type

I don't know if you can beat the original. This authoritative book, by Isabel Briggs Myers and Peter B. Myers, introduced MBTI to the masses in 1980. I would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in personality type. The book starts off by introducing MBTI and the preferences. It delves briefly into how MBTI is an extension of Jung's theory. After that, it provides some interesting statistics on type preferences in the general population and how it relates to the the frequency of certain characteristics. Ever wonder what the distribution of types is among national merit finalists, science students, or liberal arts students? You'll find out here. What I most like about Gifts Differing is that it lays out the system in a clear and concise way and then delves into practical applications of the system - such as the effect of the SN or TF preferences. There are chapters on learning styles, typical occupations, good type development and even motivation for type development in children. One unique aspect of the book is that it groups the profiles by dominant cognitive function. So for example ESTJs and ENTJs (both dominant extraverted thinking) are described in the same profile but with sections that explain the differences between the two types.

I give it 5 stars.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Enneagram
    954 sp/sx

I enjoyed this book a lot. I thought her approach to figuring out type was a bit different and interesting. My only disappointment is that the sections describing each of the 16 types is very brief.
    Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't know if you can beat the original. This authoritative book, by Isabel Briggs Myers and Peter B. Myers, introduced MBTI to the masses in 1980. I would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in personality type.
    Exactly. One reason I like this book is that it provides more background information than other books do about how and why the MBTI system originated. I always recommend people interested in the topic read this book first, and have given several copies away as gifts.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes highlander, Video liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I liked it.

One thing I liked was the idea that people have similarities across types. All Is share some things, just like all Ns and all Ts and all Ps. And the more letters we share, the more we have in common, so a ENFP and a ENFJ will have a lot of similarities.

I know officially the MBTI folks don't use JCF, but she even nods to it as well.

Putting that together, IME, a ENFP and a ENFJ can often arrive at the same destination, but they actually travel very different paths to get there. So, sharing ENF does mean something.

Anyway, I like her stacking SFs together and STs together, rather than SJs and SPs. Both are equally valid, but.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I just received it from America 2 weeks ago. I'm discovering it step by step... May I say I prefer the types description of Pierre Cauvin and Genevieve Cailloux :

"Understand the MBTI and practice it" (esf editors).
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

In german Gift means poison. It's a strange world...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm reading it now, and a bit I'm disappointed. The descriptions of the cognitive functions are unclear, for example:

Introverted Thinking

Is fed from subjective and unconscious roots—archetypes.
    What does that even mean?

The meaning of E/I seems insufficiently differentiated from the meaning of S/N at some points:
    For example, some readers, who would like to get to the practical applications of this theory, are looking at it from the extravert standpoint. Other readers, who feel more interest in the insight that the theory may provide for understanding themselves and human nature in general, are seeing it from the introvert point of view.
    Overall the book is not as precise as I hoped it would be.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I appreciate this book a lot and I have found it's a good resource - especially in academic writing. I voted 4 stars only because something has to really wow be to be a 5 star book. I'd recommend this to a beginner or an enthusiast and I find that it's pretty accessible, well organized, and provides enough information about the standard system that it is valuable no matter what level of interest one has.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

This is pretty interesting. I always thought elementary school teachers were ISFJ and ESFJ. NTs are rare for teaching little children.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher