• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Are you an ISFP and a type nine? Have you experienced this?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. I am a solid type nine and most of the online assessments type me as an ISFP. Nines stereotypically seem to be blank slates that just go with the flow and that definitely was my/is my problem. ISFPs stereotypically seem to be very focused on their own tastes and individuality. So, for the ISFP and the Nine, how does this play out, being typed as a type that focuses on being an individual and being typed as a nine, that might not even be aware of his/her desires and real identity? Thanks again to anyone who responds.

SwimmerGal97

I'm an ISFP and I THINK I'm a type 9. I often see type 9s described as the 'peacemakers'. We enjoy harmony and like things to go smoothly. That's not to say we don't have very strong opinions and values about certain things. In my experience, I'm very easygoing, happy to go with the flow unless something clashes with a specific desire or value. Then I will stand up for my beliefs or thing I want. I think if I'm not that bothered about something why make a fuss? I think there is a similarity in that OUTWARDLY type 9s can appear like a blank slate who go with the flow. I guess ISFPs often appear as being quite mild and pleasant and understanding which can unfortunately be mistaken for being a doormat. It's like there are only two types of people: those who get walked over and those who walk over others. But I don't think that's the case, I think 9s strike a middle balance of knowing which fight to fight and favouring harmony and peace over petty disagreements.

As an ISFP I DO place huge importance on knowing or finding who I am and my identity, but I often feel like I don't know. So that links in with what you said about nines not being sure of who they are, I think it just takes time. For me it's like I know fragments of who I am, there are some definites....I just don't know the picture

I just read something about 9s that says 'at their healthiest, Nines are awake to themselves and to life, engaged with life and others, and move forward in their right action and calling.' I can see where ISFP fits in, although I must say that I did initially think 9 was linked to Fe however I am very sensitive to outward environments. I like to maintain peace both inside and outside and disrupting either causes an imbalance so I am aware of others moods, feelings, tone of voice etc in that sense. Also I think Fi awareness of our own feelings helps us relate to others as we can imagine how something would make us feel

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm an ISFP and I THINK I'm a type 9. I often see type 9s described as the 'peacemakers'. We enjoy harmony and like things to go smoothly. That's not to say we don't have very strong opinions and values about certain things. In my experience, I'm very easygoing, happy to go with the flow unless something clashes with a specific desire or value. Then I will stand up for my beliefs or thing I want. I think if I'm not that bothered about something why make a fuss? I think there is a similarity in that OUTWARDLY type 9s can appear like a blank slate who go with the flow. I guess ISFPs often appear as being quite mild and pleasant and understanding which can unfortunately be mistaken for being a doormat. It's like there are only two types of people: those who get walked over and those who walk over others. But I don't think that's the case, I think 9s strike a middle balance of knowing which fight to fight and favouring harmony and peace over petty disagreements.

As an ISFP I DO place huge importance on knowing or finding who I am and my identity, but I often feel like I don't know. So that links in with what you said about nines not being sure of who they are, I think it just takes time. For me it's like I know fragments of who I am, there are some definites....I just don't know the picture

I just read something about 9s that says 'at their healthiest, Nines are awake to themselves and to life, engaged with life and others, and move forward in their right action and calling.' I can see where ISFP fits in, although I must say that I did initially think 9 was linked to Fe however I am very sensitive to outward environments. I like to maintain peace both inside and outside and disrupting either causes an imbalance so I am aware of others moods, feelings, tone of voice etc in that sense. Also I think Fi awareness of our own feelings helps us relate to others as we can imagine how something would make us feel

Thank you for the thoughtful response and I am sorry about my late reply. A lot of what you have said resonates with me. I do feel that we present a laid, back, easy going almost blank slate face to the world, but inside it is very different. Things are not always so calm and steady or bland. I also agree with trying to strike the balance between not getting confrontational about little things and not letting people walk all over you when it really matters. I am also striving to fully realize the details of my identity. Like you, I am only getting it in chunks, but through the experiences of my life and study, more and more of it is slowly becoming clear. This reminds me of a video that described the ISFP's inner world as a fog where they can only catch clear glimpses of that inner world, but never see the whole thing. Thank you again for the response.