Thread: Why do some ISTPs like INFPs?

MBTI
    INXX
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    xxxx Ne

Default Why do some ISTPs like INFPs?

I found that odd when I read a thread about an ISTP dedicating a love song to an INFP and how that person can't stop loving the INFP.

I just don't get it.

I think that INFPs and ISTPs have opposite cognitive functions and that they tend to have a hard time understanding each other and getting along with each other. So I have a hard time figuring out why an ISTP might find an INFP attractive.

My brother is an ISTP and we couldn't get along.
    I usually couldn't get along with the majority of the ISTPs I met.

My preference would be an INTJ but I have seen an ISTP being attracted to me, my ex, I just don't get why.

So I guess my question would be .. why do some ISTPs find some INFPs attractive? That really beats me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default calvin and hobbes

Calvin has been typed as INFP and Hobbes, ISTP. These assessments seem more or less correct. In the comic strip, the boy and his tiger seem very compilimentary, they're different but alike. In a romantic relationship, the same dynamic could apply. my girlfriend is an INFP, and she's wonderful, though Im not an ISTP. Different functions at work could either be complimentary, or just cause lots of arguments.
    That which does not kill me, improves my looks. - Michael Jackson
    Likes gromit, Dmarie liked this post

MBTI
    INFP

yeah, some of the best chemistry i've ever experienced have been with ISTPs..

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

INFP's are like weird little contraptions demanding finesse and nuance to perceive, unrivaled in complexity and sharp barby things

MBTI
    estp
    Enneagram
    7w? so

Yeah a weird combo i feel. Like to know about any real life examples.

Maybe they do work.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I imagine some of some types might like some other types too. It's uh... that thing we call alternate preferences. Inclinations happen on a type by type basis but it's never conclusive. This is not psychological magic.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

I find that the INFPs I know
    are extremely similar to myself,
    in terms of how we interpret the world.
    I find that INFPs have a very similar set of beliefs and view of reality,
    I like to talk to INFPs because we have a similar way of thinking, but though we seem to have tread the same path -they have taken an divergent avenue that is intriguing and incomprehensible.

MBTI
    xSTP

I have always enjoyed INFPs. They do have a different set of functions, but I am not a person who can only see my point of view and my own way of operating. I enjoy the differences, I enjoy that they are good at things I am not. I enjoy the quirkiness, the emotional aspect, the company. I am a person who pushes people to be themselves, not to be or think like me. Its like 2 people walking and helping each other towards a common goal. We usually have different goals,so we kinda take turns with each others goals.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Non

I'm an infp with an istp husband for 10 years, 4 dating before then. The chemistry has always been great with us. Learning about each other takes time and work. I suppose it would be easier with complimenting personality types to mine or my husbands but it's been an interesting, frustrating at times, totally worth it ride. The man is my best friend and were both very loyal and level headed, although I do fluctuate emotionally (total understatement right there) but he knows that and he makes me laugh at my own craziness. I would be bored with another type I think. I've always been attracted to the istp type guys, they have the quiet, naughty, witty, intelligent, bad ass attitude that keeps me interested.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, theforsaken liked this post

In Line to the Throne Array Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram

Quality ISTP friend says he finds my actions and thinking strange = more intriguing than most other people he encounters. I get the “You are the only person I’ve ever known who _______” feedback a lot from this type. Chemistry can be TASTY!!

Lots of potential for miscommunication too. Frequently arriving at similar destinations … but by VERY different routes I have learnt the best thing is, to be clear & ask lots of questions. The ISTP’s are generally already proficient in this regard.
    Likes soremfinger, MDP2525, Poki liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast