User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Mowing the lawn if uber boring for me LOL I think I liked it when I was 12.
    Yeah, I was thinking of when I was twelve. I haven't had lawns to mow in years.

To answer @Giggly, I guess I am kind of DIY, but I'm not skilled at a bunch of things where I actually am doing everything myself. For example, I know more about computers than cars. I think I could learn more about cars to get to that point, but I only know basic things, just because it's a ripoff if you don't. Same thing with guitars (or other instruments). It costs an arm and a leg to just to get basic work done. I only paid for an amp repair once, and I think it was over a hundred bucks or something. So I bought guitar/amp maintenance manuals (it sounds like i'm just being practical, but it also became kind of fun too).

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Question for the ISTPs who take things apart - assuming money was not an issue, would you ever hire someone else to fix something for you that you knew how to fix yourself?
    It depends. If I could take my time getting to the job, then no. I'd probably fix it myself. If I needed it right away and I didn't feel like doing it and I'm rich? Yeah. Let someone else do it.

I really never liked taking something apart for the sake of taking something apart. If I had an idea/clue of why it wasn't working and I thought I could fix it? Yeah. I'd go in for a look to see if I was right or wrong.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    It depends. If I could take my time getting to the job, then no. I'd probably fix it myself. If I needed it right away and I didn't feel like doing it and I'm rich? Yeah. Let someone else do it.

I really never liked taking something apart for the sake of taking something apart. If I had an idea/clue of why it wasn't working and I thought I could fix it? Yeah. I'd go in for a look to see if I was right or wrong.
    For me as well in that I enjoy getting some kind of end result if I take something apart. I would rather put something together than take something apart for the sake of it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    For me as well in that I enjoy getting some kind of end result if I take something apart. I would rather put something together than take something apart for the sake of it.
    Yeah. I like the gratification behind diagnosing the problem then getting in there and realizing I was right or getting in there and realizing it was something else. The 'something else' teaches me more. I guess I learn more that way than just wildly dissecting things because I see an effect and learn a different cause than the one I thought. Sticks in my brain.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Permabanned

Yeah. I like the gratification behind diagnosing the problem then getting in there and realizing I was right or getting in there and realizing it was something else. The 'something else' teaches me more. I guess I learn more that way than just wildly dissecting things because I see an effect and learn a different cause than the one I thought. Sticks in my brain.
    On the fly problem solving.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

@Giggly
    Yeah the same. I agree with MDP I wouldn't take it apart just for the hell of it, but if it was broken and I had an idea how to fix it then I would definitely go for it. If I didn't have time or didn't feel like i had sufficient knowledge then I would just pay someone to do it.
    The bed broke fairly massively the other day. (Strangely enough we weren't actually doing anything, just lying there when it happened!) It wasn't my bed but because we actually needed to sleep in the bed, it had to be fixed so I just got to it, pulled the mattress up and started pulling the slats up and then replacing them and got a hammer and some nails and soon had it in working order. I have made beds before so it all seemed very easy to me how to fix it.
    The INTJ i was with took one look at it and declared we had to sleep on the floor and then later said she was fascinated with how i just knew how to fix it and got it done. So yeah i guess maybe fixing things comes naturally but it helps if it is something I have some knowledge about!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I fixed a toilet before! Boy, was I proud of myself afterwards. The bulb inside of the tank (or whatever you call those things) broke and I took it apart and replaced it. It took me about 5 hours and 3 trips to the hardware store (lol!), whereas it probably would have taken someone more mechanically inclined less than 1 hour.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I fixed a toilet before! Boy, was I proud of myself afterwards. The bulb inside of the tank (or whatever you call those things) broke and I took it apart and replaced it. It took me about 5 hours and 3 trips to the hardware store (lol!), whereas it probably would have taken someone more mechanically inclined less than 1 hour.
    Good for you. It would probably take me awhile too, because I've never fixed a toilet before (luckily, never needed to - knock on wood).
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Very impressive Ms Giggly