Thread: "Nerdy" ISTPs

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    My little sister is an ISFP and might look like a nerd on the outside to strangers because she has a PhD in molecular biotechnology and works in the lab all day infecting cells of the trachea of chicken and turkey with different strands of influenza. She always was among the top of her class in math and helped her class mates with calculus. Her being among science geeks all day wears off and she could tell you a few jokes of the type " a chemist, a physicist and a mathematitian walk into a bar..." Her hobbies are a bit eccentric as well.

But ...and this is a big but... the reason she loves her lab work is because it is hands on research, she loves slicing and dicing cells, using the centrifuge and juggling petri dishes. The theory is just a way to get there. In fact, it worries her that she has become overqualified for practical lab work and might be forced to do more theoretical/paper work in the future And those eccentric hobbies might be eccentric, but they are physical and concrete in nature.

A talent for and/or interest in geeky stuff does not make a nerd in my opinion. Now, my ENTJ brother (marine biologist, major fantasy, role play, dungeons freak, martial arts lover and not a girlfriend in sight at age 25) that´s a geek. But even he is too practical and physical to be a nerd in my book.

Sorry, but the admission criteria of the club should be a bit stricter than that. :P
    Well said. I suggest we start quantifying this title.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Well said. I suggest we start quantifying this title.
    How about a test?

Geek Test

32.47232% Total Geek

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

well thats a geek test not a nerd test

haha..

Either way, I think I may have high numbers for an SP.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I have low numbers for/if I'm an NP.

9.5941% - Geekish Tendencies

I've always had my foot in both places.

I remember when I was 8 or 9, my basketball team decided we should vote for a name. I jotted in the "Colecos". Coleco Vision was the shit. Had nothing to do with basketball, but whatever.

They decided on the Rockets though. Cool enough. Olajuwon was a beast. That would have been my second choice.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I've always had my foot in both places.

I remember when I was 8 or 9, my basketball team decided we should vote for a name. I jotted in the "Colecos". Coleco Vision was the shit. Had nothing to do with basketball, but whatever.

They decided on the Rockets though. Cool enough. Olajuwon was a beast. That would have been my second choice.
    Whereabouts in Texas? I just moved from San Antone less than a year ago.

On Topic:

I'm on the fence, Typewise (I usually am), but ISTP is the standing best guess. I'm pretty nerdy as a rule... But the casual observer would never know it. My visible activities are more traditionally Artisan; Sports/Martial Arts, Music/Guitar, Drawing, Fishing, that kind of thing.

Meanwhile, if you take a look at my bookcase, you're probably thinking, "Oh, a gigantic nerd."

Looking pretty good on the Geek Test, too: 29.8893% - Total Geek

I'm about the same way with hobbies and conflicting bookcase

In San Antonio actually.. northside, so on the outskirts. A little time in San Marcos and Austin as well.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'm about the same way with hobbies and conflicting bookcase

In San Antonio actually.. northside, so on the outskirts. A little time in San Marcos and Austin as well.
    I lived in San Antonio for about three years (Medical area for half of it, Castle Hills the rest), worked at Methodist Children's. My wife was born 'n raised on the outskirts -- Lastly out around China Grove.

But yeah, there's a pretty stark disconnect between Observable and Private interests. Though, it's a pretty consistent lifelong pattern that I'm happy to have finally developed into a functional balance. When I was younger, I was the near-cliche' full scholarship Pre-Med student who flunked out in order to pursue his Rock Star career. *laugh*

I know where China Grove is. Since I'm Asian, maybe I should live there. "And though it's a part of the Lone Star State, people don't seem to care. They just keep on lookin' to the East."

I've always had the rockstar dreams, but never in practice. I'm just sort of fine finding people to jam with, playing rhythm or bass. I think if I sang more, I might have strolled into open mic spots and performed solo. For the most part though, I'm dependent on others to make a career out of it. Oh, this goes without mentioning that I have some sappy songwriter tendencies. I can be borderline F/T and S/N really.