User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Substance abuse

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram

Thank you. Today I told him that he has to get help and get his life together or I will petition for guardianship and he will lose decision making powers over his life. That will be the final thing I can do and of course I don't want to but its the last resort. He does not want that and I think it was a wake up call. We'll see.

I was diagnosed bipolar a couple of months ago and was sent to rehab for cocaine / marijuana / amphetamine abuse. I've been in rehab for about 4 months now and my life is much clearer now than it used to be.

first I was just spending all my money on drugs, then hit drug induced psychosis on ecstasy and morphine, ran around naked screaming about God and rushed to the hospital and was put in a crazy house for a few days. sent to a half mental institute / half rehab in way south georgia and now I'm in a much better rehab in a suburb of atlanta.

get your son to a meeting. if there's a cocaine anonymous around you definitely try to get him to that, it's my favorite. if not, try getting him to alcoholics anonymous or narcotics anonymous. make him keep going.

I still want to do drugs sometimes but I'm much more in tune with reality than I used to be. I was prescribed to Prozac and Wellbutrin and my moods are much more stable but that doesn't work for every bipolar.

there are a couple INFPs at the rehab I'm at and they seem to be doing fine. hope everything works out for the best.

MBTI
    INFJ

Let him make his own mistakes. Kick him out. He will figure it out.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Are you sure he's really an INFP or are you just typing him that way because he has bipolar disorder and substance abuse issues? Sometimes INFP becomes some weird catch-all for mentally ill people.

I recommend you have him institutionalized somewhere. It's the only thing that helped my sister get off drugs. It sounds as though he's both a danger to himself and others.

MBTI
    INFJ

What drugs exactly is he taking?
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Julie1962 View Post
    My 19 yo son is an InFP. He has bi polar and self medicates so now he has substance abuse issues.

Sometimes he is very reality based and other times he has his head in the clouds; not dealing with reality and seeing what he wants to see.

Just wondering .. is that typical of InFPs, seeing what they want to? Or is that typical of any substance abuser no matter what type they are.

Any suggestions on how to make someone see reality? Anyone in the mental health field and use knowledge of MBTI to treat patients?

Wondering how I can reach him.
    This doesn't make sense - there is WAY TOO little information you are providing. SUBSTANCE ABUSE could be drinking 16 cups of coffee everyday, hence, caffeine abuse. It could mean sniffing seven long lines of crack everyday. Substance abuse could mean killing a few shots of vodka ........................

What is your son abusing? Crack? Coffee? Meth? Alcohol? Adderall? Steroids?

I HATE it when people say "my son is using drugs" - drugs could mean Tylenol, Aspirin, Alcohol, or Cocaine! Who knows?

What does matter - is what kind of drug .. and how that drug alleviates the "problem". If its alcohol, its probably an epically devastating point in his life. If its methamphetamine, it could signal depression. If its marijuana, it could spell out that he is under a lot of stress.

Just connect the dots, its not hard.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post
    This doesn't make sense - there is WAY TOO little information you are providing. SUBSTANCE ABUSE could be drinking 16 cups of coffee everyday, hence, caffeine abuse. It could mean sniffing seven long lines of crack everyday. Substance abuse could mean killing a few shots of vodka ........................

I HATE it when people say "my son is using drugs" - drugs could mean Tylenol, Aspirin, Alcohol, or Cocaine! Who knows?

What does matter - is what kind of drug .. and how that drug alleviates the "problem". If its alcohol, its probably an epically devastating point in his life. If its methamphetamine, it could signal depression. If its marijuana, it could spell out that he is under a lot of stress.

Are you saying that the type of drug one is addicted to, indicates the root psychological problem? Really?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post

She already said he abuses pot, xanax, and drinks to black out. He's got such a problem that he's homeless. Also, his belief that he can "play the system" indicates to me that he might also have a personality disorder on top of bipolar disorder.

pot and xanax? i didnt read that. talk about overkill. xanax is what you take when you're too lazy to smoke weed.

umm, that and it's for anxiety disorders

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    pot and xanax? i didnt read that. talk about overkill. xanax is what you take when you're too lazy to smoke weed.

umm, that and it's for anxiety disorders
    Well, xanax is also a highly addictive substance and if he's combining them with pot and alcohol he could easily kill himself.

Also, I've actually seen someone behave outright psychotic on xanax...while it puts some people to sleep, for other people it lowers their inhibitions and they can become destructive at large doses.

Pills are nothing to laugh at. My sister started on pills, then became a cocaine addict. She was so messed up by the time we had to intervene that she looked like a cancer patient, was throwing cell phones in the river, leaving complete care of her children to my mother, stealing their welfare benefits for her own use, and the first time we attempted to have her committed she walked out of the emergency room. Good times. It tore up by entire family.

All of that can start with pills...I've also witnessed people on pills alone whose behavior is monstrously destructive by itself.