User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 23

  1. #1
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default SP vulnerability

    What would you say, SPs?

    If an SP is vulnerable with you - ie. tells you they’re feeling low, and why, tells you when something really moved them emotionally, and this sort of thing – does it indicate that they feel a really high level of comfort with you, and really trust and like you (as I would assume it would with many other types?)

    Or is it more likely that they pick up on the fact that you appreciate people discussing emotions and deep feelings with them (I would appreciate this, as I’m an INFJ!), and they try to relate to/get along with all types of people, and they realize this is a good way (or even the best way) to do it with you? (ie. with a different type of person, the way to get along well with them might to go partying with them…or to be gentlemanly with them…etc, and they would use those approaches with those types of people)

    I suppose these two options are not mutually exclusive. And I’m sorry if I sound a little suspicious (I have a bit of a mutual fascination/suspicion thing with SPs, at least some.) I don’t think I’ve had a lot of SP friends, but I have been surprised when a few have seemed to open up to me and I am not sure what it means.

    I guess you could say I sometimes feel a bit uncertain about trusting SPs.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  2. #2
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    I would say they feel comfortable with you if they are discussing those kinds of issues. Depends upon the SP.

    However, I have been known to start talking to people I don't really know that well - maybe because they don't know me that well? - about a personal issue if I am currently confused or can't make sense of a problem - and I sense that they wouldn't use the information against me or my gut tells me they could give me some needed insight. Basically, I'm grasping at straws when I do that. Emotional vomiting is what I call it. I usually needed to get something off my chest and after I do I go back to thinking, "why did I even bother saying anything about ----- it doesn't even matter now."
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  3. #3

    Default

    A bit of both I guess. A person wouldn't normally open up to someone unless they trusted them and also thought they were open to that kind of relationship.

  4. #4
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    If an SP is vulnerable with you - ie. tells you they’re feeling low, and why, tells you when something really moved them emotionally, and this sort of thing – does it indicate that they feel a really high level of comfort with you, and really trust and like you (as I would assume it would with many other types?)
    From what I can tell WE are comfortable with all people of all types. I am more of an open book than most, but that's because I am completely comfortable with myself. I'd say an SP opening up/disclosing anything is more of a function of their high level of comfort with themselves, and much less than their comfort/attachment to their audience.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Or is it more likely that they pick up on the fact that you appreciate people discussing emotions and deep feelings with them (I would appreciate this, as I’m an INFJ!),...
    Only an INFJ would say this!!! HAHAAAA!!!! I am allowed to laugh as my beautiful wife is an INFJ and I have learned over the course of 15 years of her need to "talk about things at a deep emotional level" while in the meantime I'm bouncing off the walls and ceilings trying to remember how my Grandmother used to make fresh squeezed lemonade.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    ...and they try to relate to/get along with all types of people, and they realize this is a good way (or even the best way) to do it with you? (ie. with a different type of person, the way to get along well with them might to go partying with them…or to be gentlemanly with them…etc, and they would use those approaches with those types of people)
    We do love people, so maybe it is fair to say that we will operatively determine what vector of communication our present company is most comfortable utilizing in their relations with us. But if we do that, it is not pre-meditated, and we're doing it for you, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I suppose these two options are not mutually exclusive. And I’m sorry if I sound a little suspicious (I have a bit of a mutual fascination/suspicion thing with SPs, at least some.) I don’t think I’ve had a lot of SP friends, but I have been surprised when a few have seemed to open up to me and I am not sure what it means.

    I guess you could say I sometimes feel a bit uncertain about trusting SPs.
    Ahhhhh the NF idyllic strikes again. Maybe things can be better than they are now, but please don't ever take for granted the good things which are immediately present. Being suspicious might be a bit too harsh of a term I think. Suspicious of what? That they are going to find out that you have the secret formula for Kentucky Fried Chicken?

    I mean really, unless a person (SP or otherwise) gives you reason to be suspicious you are probably better off giving them the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn't you wnat to be given the benefit of the doubt by a new person that you meet in the future? How would you feel if you knew that lots of SPs out there were suspicious of INFJs?

    Please don't think I'm being harsh with you. I have learned ALOT about myself and about INFJs in my marriage. There is a huge difference in the processing of our respective realities, but please don't think that we are any less human than you because of being superficially conversant. That's such a simple thing to extroverts in general, and shouldn't be held against their character. A few introverts I know have beliefs as such, it has always puzzled me.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I would say they feel comfortable with you if they are discussing those kinds of issues. Depends upon the SP.
    Yes, you said this nicely.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Emotional vomiting is what I call it. I usually needed to get something off my chest and after I do I go back to thinking, "why did I even bother saying anything about ----- it doesn't even matter now."
    I love that term! May I use it? Haaaa!!!!!

  5. #5
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    From what I can tell WE are comfortable with all people of all types. I am more of an open book than most, but that's because I am completely comfortable with myself. I'd say an SP opening up/disclosing anything is more of a function of their high level of comfort with themselves, and much less than their comfort/attachment to their audience.
    With the exception of my "emotional vomiting" kind of disclosure - the bolded print is def how most disclosure works. At least with me. Well said Halla.


    Only an INFJ would say this!!! HAHAAAA!!!! I am allowed to laugh as my beautiful wife is an INFJ and I have learned over the course of 15 years of her need to "talk about things at a deep emotional level" while in the meantime I'm bouncing off the walls and ceilings trying to remember how my Grandmother used to make fresh squeezed lemonade.
    Funny. I sort of chuckled at that sentence too. Not in a bad way. Just that it's such an INFJ thing to say. But no. I wouldn't say "appreciating and expressing deeper feelings" is even on the front burner of most SP's thoughts. Not that it isn't important. It's just not thought about.

    We do love people, so maybe it is fair to say that we will operatively determine what vector of communication our present company is most comfortable utilizing in their relations with us. But if we do that, it is not pre-meditated, and we're doing it for you, if that makes any sense whatsoever.
    I seriously think I'm a closet ESTP because your posts always make sense and you say things much better than I can.



    I love that term! May I use it? Haaaa!!!!!
    It's yours!! lol.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  6. #6
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    With the exception of my "emotional vomiting" kind of disclosure - the bolded print is def how most disclosure works. At least with me. Well said Halla.
    Exception noted, of course! Pardon my blunder in plain daylight. If I'm going to fall flat on my face I am going to do it in a crowded room filled with everyone I know. Ha!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Funny. I sort of chuckled at that sentence too. Not in a bad way. Just that it's such an INFJ thing to say. But no. I wouldn't say "appreciating and expressing deeper feelings" is even on the front burner of most SP's thoughts. Not that it isn't important. It's just not thought about.
    YES. Bolded parts above are loud and clear, nicely put.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I seriously think I'm a closet ESTP because your posts always make sense and you say things much better than I can.
    Wow, thanks! Your commentary is always clear to me too. You're able to state my thoughts in much fewer words, which is indicative of my ESTP verbal diarrhea.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    It's yours!! lol.
    Yes! Now I know what to tell people in the future when I emotionally vomit on them:

    "Hey, I need to barf some emotional energy onto you so that I can sort a few things out in my head. Is that cool?" :yim_rolling_on_the_

  7. #7
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    From what I can tell WE are comfortable with all people of all types. I am more of an open book than most, but that's because I am completely comfortable with myself. I'd say an SP opening up/disclosing anything is more of a function of their high level of comfort with themselves, and much less than their comfort/attachment to their audience.
    Very well said, sir.

    I would prefer to be open with EVERYBODY. The only reason I am not is that I have learned from life experience that many people have hangups that make being open with them more of a hassle than it's worth.

    There are soooo many people who seem to go through life looking for things to be offended by. I think this is the exact opposite of the SP philosophy which is more to look for things to be pleased by.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  8. #8
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Thanks guys, interesting comments. You can vomit on me emotionally any time. Unless you’re doing it in a creepy personal-space-invading way, us INFJs LOVE to be vomited on emotionally!

    Ok, let’s elaborate on this a bit more with a hypothetical. I get what you mean about this sort of emotional disclosure maybe indicating that the SP is comfortable with themselves, more than necessarily with you (though that is probably at least an element too.)

    But what if the SP generally seems to want to project a very with-it, non-emotional demeanour to most people, and then they turn around and vent to you about their hopes and fears? I think that is where with a few people I’ve really gone “Hmm, does this mean we have some sort of ‘special relationship’ [us INFJs love that sort of thing too… ] or am I reading way too much into this?”

    For example, and I’ve had pretty much this sort of thing happen to me with a few definitely SP individuals: You’re at a party and your good SP friend is there. It’s a fairly chilled party and you chat with various people…for a good length of time with your SP friend, sometimes just the two of you, other times joined by others. Everyone including (and maybe especially) the SP is pretty upbeat. Then you leave the party with the SP and chat some more on your way home or maybe go for a drink, just the two of you. It’s at this point that the SP starts telling you about their anxiety over some future plans, the fact that their boss is driving them nuts, or even (shock horror) that they don’t feel like they fit in particularly well with a lot of people in your mutual circle of friends/acquaintances. (The latter has really astonished me with a few people. These are the SP charmers who seem capable of making everyone love them…and then they tell you they only really have a few friends or feel like they’re not accepted…That’s INFJ talk, people! )

    Of course, in these cases I have very little idea if the SP has similar conversations one-on-one with other friends or I’m privileged (I really mean that!) with the emotional vomit I mean, it’s not like INFJs ever read too much into anything…
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #9
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    There is a huge difference in the processing of our respective realities, but please don't think that we are any less human than you because of being superficially conversant. That's such a simple thing to extroverts in general, and shouldn't be held against their character. A few introverts I know have beliefs as such, it has always puzzled me.
    I'm working on not thinking this way about extroverts and/or SPs, because I realise that sometimes I do. But sometimes extroverts think an introvert can't be a people person, just because we don't have nearly as much of that facility for superficial friendliness...and certainly an INFJ is totally a people person, just much more one-on-one and with certain individuals they've spent time building a relationship with...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  10. #10
    Senior Member Trepidation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    SLI
    Posts
    108

    Default

    I cannot speak for all SPs, but you'd have to be very, very close to me for me to feel comfortable with sharing anything... personal. If you don't think anything bad will come of it, you could always ask the individuals in question why they decide to vent to you.

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] to the sp types
    By chado in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2017, 10:29 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Fictional SPs/SJs
    By The Ü™ in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 03:24 PM
  3. [SP] How do SPs experience crushes?
    By Usehername in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 02:36 AM
  4. Does SJ vs SP account for gender bias?
    By Tayshaun in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO