User Tag List

First 3456 Last

I've been the same way all my life. What has helped me the most is realizing that self-consciousness is a baseless fear and it shouldn't stop me from trying things. I know that the only way to get better at doing something, is to try it, keep trying, and soon enough I'll do it like everyone else. If people think you suck at it, who cares?

Going back to the dancing, I still think the reason I think I suck at it is that in every physical activity I do, my movements are purposeful and calculated. Thus, thinking doesn't know what movements to make to translate this feeling, so it just ends up feeling awkward and pointless.

But when I feel like dancing, I don't want my movements to be calculated and purposeful. I want the music, the feeling it's generating inside me, to move my body with it, without any thinking involved. I want it to be pure Se. Maybe that's why ESTPs are better dancers, because they are dominant sensors not thinkers?

So I am content doing my own form of moving to music, which mostly involves very subtle grooving movements, where the feeling of the music kind of flows from one end of my body to the other.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    I've been the same way all my life. What has helped me the most is realizing that self-consciousness is a baseless fear and it shouldn't stop me from trying things. I know that the only way to get better at doing something, is to try it, keep trying, and soon enough I'll do it like everyone else. If people think you suck at it, who cares?

Going back to the dancing, I still think the reason I think I suck at it is that in every physical activity I do, my movements are purposeful and calculated. Thus, thinking doesn't know what movements to make to translate this feeling, so it just ends up feeling awkward and pointless.

But when I feel like dancing, I don't want my movements to be calculated and purposeful. I want the music, the feeling it's generating inside me, to move my body with it, without any thinking involved. I want it to be pure Se. Maybe that's why ESTPs are better dancers, because they are dominant sensors not thinkers?

So I am content doing my own form of moving to music, which mostly involves very subtle grooving movements, where the feeling of the music kind of flows from one end of my body to the other.
    Have you tried learning? My problem is being able to think of what to do and do it to the music at the same time. If you learn how then its just a matter of syncing already learned movementsto the music instead of actually trying to figure out what exactly to do and sync it to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Have you tried learning? My problem is being able to think of what to do and do it to the music at the same time. If you learn how then its just a matter of syncing already learned movementsto the music instead of actually trying to figure out what exactly to do and sync it to the music.

Precisely, which was why I was going to add that if I were to learn a type of dancing that had specific movements, I'm certain I could do it. Just like Randomnity said.

I actually really admire the graceful strength of ballet dancers - that would be something worth learning.

MBTI
    IXXP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    ISTPS are terrible dancers. I am a terrible dancer.
    I am shocked by the responses. Not to toot my own horn, but I am a pretty great dancer and other SPs that I know are as well.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

I don't think you're alone on that, Steph.

As for me, I definitely don't care, and the music just flows through me and does translate well into body movements because I naturally do things without thinking. It's this devil-may-care attitude filled with a wild zest for the love of movement and music that makes me good, not any calculating forethought.

I think I met another ESTP (best guess) a couple weeks ago at the benefit fashion show I did, and he described it exactly the same way. He was basically saying you just foil your way into dancing, a concept I was thoroughly familiar with. It's basically half BS and half love of the music.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by seamaid View Post
    Do you even like to dance? You guys are known for your physical grace, swift timing, and prowess in the sack , so I was wondering if it carried over to more "emotional" forms of movement.
    I hate dancing, but when I'm drunk it's fun! I've been told a bunch of times that I'm good at it, but I don't believe the comments enough to dance much sober

There's no emotion to it. I just have to 1) like the song, 2) have someone I like to dance with or 3) be drunk enough.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5/6

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    I don't think you're alone on that, Steph.

As for me, I definitely don't care, and the music just flows through me and does translate well into body movements because I naturally do things without thinking. It's this devil-may-care attitude filled with a wild zest for the love of movement and music that makes me good, not any calculating forethought.
    I used to dance on teams when I was younger. I was pretty good at military, or sharp, choreographed dances. Now, I go out dancing quite a bit. When I'm dancing, well, it's just not like anything else. But I can't stand ballet, screw doing that, it takes so much gd training. But I enjoy watching ballet. And I prefer to dance alone in a crowd...? I usually don't like that whole grinding with strangers bit, but I like the attention.

MBTI
    INTP

I can dance -- like the random kind of making-shit-up kind of dancing -- pretty well if I get really into it, but generally I'm too reserved to bother. I wind up doing some kind of half-assed chicken shit that is just plain awkward.

I took about 11 years of classical dance (eg ballet, tap, jazz, various kinds of ballroom dancing), and could probably still turn a decent pirouette or two if I were to get back into it, but for all those years I never learned to feel the music, you know? I was the dancing equivalent of a wooden actor.

I also like to dance contra, square, casual waltz, and the occasional salsa with friends, but in that kind of environment no one is really "better" than anyone else because you're just having fun. (The exception is when you go to one of those Latino-oriented salsa clubs, and the partners are there who have been doing it for many, many years... they can dance circles around me. :O )

I still don't really understand how the club / frat party dancing thing works. Girls used to get annoyed with me because I was doing too much fancy shit. Apparently they just wanted me to sway back and forth while they danced in front of me. Boring. Although once in a blue moon you get a partner that you physically / rhythmically click with, and then it's pretty cool.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I can dance -- like the random kind of making-shit-up kind of dancing -- Girls used to get annoyed with me because I was doing too much fancy shit. Apparently they just wanted me to sway back and forth while they danced in front of me.
    LMAO. Where is a picture for just that scenario when you need one?!

WALMART

Of course.