User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 57

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    472

    Default

    I've been the same way all my life. What has helped me the most is realizing that self-consciousness is a baseless fear and it shouldn't stop me from trying things. I know that the only way to get better at doing something, is to try it, keep trying, and soon enough I'll do it like everyone else. If people think you suck at it, who cares?



    Going back to the dancing, I still think the reason I think I suck at it is that in every physical activity I do, my movements are purposeful and calculated. Thus, thinking doesn't know what movements to make to translate this feeling, so it just ends up feeling awkward and pointless.

    But when I feel like dancing, I don't want my movements to be calculated and purposeful. I want the music, the feeling it's generating inside me, to move my body with it, without any thinking involved. I want it to be pure Se. Maybe that's why ESTPs are better dancers, because they are dominant sensors not thinkers?

    So I am content doing my own form of moving to music, which mostly involves very subtle grooving movements, where the feeling of the music kind of flows from one end of my body to the other.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    I've been the same way all my life. What has helped me the most is realizing that self-consciousness is a baseless fear and it shouldn't stop me from trying things. I know that the only way to get better at doing something, is to try it, keep trying, and soon enough I'll do it like everyone else. If people think you suck at it, who cares?



    Going back to the dancing, I still think the reason I think I suck at it is that in every physical activity I do, my movements are purposeful and calculated. Thus, thinking doesn't know what movements to make to translate this feeling, so it just ends up feeling awkward and pointless.

    But when I feel like dancing, I don't want my movements to be calculated and purposeful. I want the music, the feeling it's generating inside me, to move my body with it, without any thinking involved. I want it to be pure Se. Maybe that's why ESTPs are better dancers, because they are dominant sensors not thinkers?

    So I am content doing my own form of moving to music, which mostly involves very subtle grooving movements, where the feeling of the music kind of flows from one end of my body to the other.
    Have you tried learning? My problem is being able to think of what to do and do it to the music at the same time. If you learn how then its just a matter of syncing already learned movementsto the music instead of actually trying to figure out what exactly to do and sync it to the music.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Have you tried learning? My problem is being able to think of what to do and do it to the music at the same time. If you learn how then its just a matter of syncing already learned movementsto the music instead of actually trying to figure out what exactly to do and sync it to the music.

    Precisely, which was why I was going to add that if I were to learn a type of dancing that had specific movements, I'm certain I could do it. Just like Randomnity said.

    I actually really admire the graceful strength of ballet dancers - that would be something worth learning.

  4. #44
    Senior Member aguanile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    IXXP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    ISTPS are terrible dancers. I am a terrible dancer.
    I am shocked by the responses. Not to toot my own horn, but I am a pretty great dancer and other SPs that I know are as well.

  5. #45
    PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    I don't think you're alone on that, Steph.

    As for me, I definitely don't care, and the music just flows through me and does translate well into body movements because I naturally do things without thinking. It's this devil-may-care attitude filled with a wild zest for the love of movement and music that makes me good, not any calculating forethought.

    I think I met another ESTP (best guess) a couple weeks ago at the benefit fashion show I did, and he described it exactly the same way. He was basically saying you just foil your way into dancing, a concept I was thoroughly familiar with. It's basically half BS and half love of the music.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!


    Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

  6. #46
    Senior Member mcmartinez84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seamaid View Post
    Do you even like to dance? You guys are known for your physical grace, swift timing, and prowess in the sack , so I was wondering if it carried over to more "emotional" forms of movement.
    I hate dancing, but when I'm drunk it's fun! I've been told a bunch of times that I'm good at it, but I don't believe the comments enough to dance much sober

    There's no emotion to it. I just have to 1) like the song, 2) have someone I like to dance with or 3) be drunk enough.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

  7. #47
    Junior Member jo savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5/6
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    I don't think you're alone on that, Steph.

    As for me, I definitely don't care, and the music just flows through me and does translate well into body movements because I naturally do things without thinking. It's this devil-may-care attitude filled with a wild zest for the love of movement and music that makes me good, not any calculating forethought.
    I used to dance on teams when I was younger. I was pretty good at military, or sharp, choreographed dances. Now, I go out dancing quite a bit. When I'm dancing, well, it's just not like anything else. But I can't stand ballet, screw doing that, it takes so much gd training. But I enjoy watching ballet. And I prefer to dance alone in a crowd...? I usually don't like that whole grinding with strangers bit, but I like the attention.

  8. #48
    Just a statistic rhinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    I can dance -- like the random kind of making-shit-up kind of dancing -- pretty well if I get really into it, but generally I'm too reserved to bother. I wind up doing some kind of half-assed chicken shit that is just plain awkward.

    I took about 11 years of classical dance (eg ballet, tap, jazz, various kinds of ballroom dancing), and could probably still turn a decent pirouette or two if I were to get back into it, but for all those years I never learned to feel the music, you know? I was the dancing equivalent of a wooden actor.

    I also like to dance contra, square, casual waltz, and the occasional salsa with friends, but in that kind of environment no one is really "better" than anyone else because you're just having fun. (The exception is when you go to one of those Latino-oriented salsa clubs, and the partners are there who have been doing it for many, many years... they can dance circles around me. :O )

    I still don't really understand how the club / frat party dancing thing works. Girls used to get annoyed with me because I was doing too much fancy shit. Apparently they just wanted me to sway back and forth while they danced in front of me. Boring. Although once in a blue moon you get a partner that you physically / rhythmically click with, and then it's pretty cool.

  9. #49
    Senior Member seamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I can dance -- like the random kind of making-shit-up kind of dancing -- Girls used to get annoyed with me because I was doing too much fancy shit. Apparently they just wanted me to sway back and forth while they danced in front of me.
    LMAO. Where is a picture for just that scenario when you need one?!

  10. #50
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Of course.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] ISTPs-do you balk at basic expectations from others?
    By MonkeyGrass in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 06:14 AM
  2. [ISTP] ISTPs, do you actually want to kill everyone you see or do you just look like it?
    By Elfboy in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 11:32 PM
  3. [ISTP] ISTPs, do you like motocycles?
    By guesswho in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 02:13 AM
  4. What types do you know well IRL?
    By Economica in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 09:35 PM
  5. [ISTP] ISTP: do you like mechanical things? (eg: factory)
    By niki in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 01:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO