User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Optimism

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    ATTENTION FELLOW SPs.

"Artisans are the supreme optimists. The past is water under the bridge, so forget it. The distant future is a long way off, so don't waste time planning for it. But the next moment? Here the SPs shine with a natural confidence that things are going to turn their way. SPs feel lucky: the next roll of the dice, the next move, shot or ploy will be a lucky one, never mind that the last few have failed. What comes next is bound to be a break, a windfall, some smile from Lady Luck. And once on a roll or a hot streak, SPs believe their luck will hold, and they will push it to the limit."

Do you feel this is true for you? If so, can you elaborate on your approach to life and how this plays out in what you do. Be as specific as you can.

If you don't think it's accurate about you, then tell me what your basic approach to upcoming events is, and same deal, give me some specifics about how your approach has affected your actions in life.
    I proclaim myself as an optimist. Why? Even though I got a low score in a quiz because of my being a procrastinator(to beautifully put:living in the moment), I always tell myself that there's still going to be another quiz that I can possibly get a high score on and that will pull my grades up.
    I'm a Phlegmatic-Melancholy.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    Awesome topic Jeff.
    Thanks.

NEED MORE REPLIES
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

I'm optimistic I'll post tomorrow.

"Artisans are the supreme optimists. The past is water under the bridge, so forget it. The distant future is a long way off, so don't waste time planning for it. But the next moment? Here the SPs shine with a natural confidence that things are going to turn their way. SPs feel lucky: the next roll of the dice, the next move, shot or ploy will be a lucky one, never mind that the last few have failed. What comes next is bound to be a break, a windfall, some smile from Lady Luck. And once on a roll or a hot streak, SPs believe their luck will hold, and they will push it to the limit."

Do you feel this is true for you? If so, can you elaborate on your approach to life and how this plays out in what you do. Be as specific as you can.

If you don't think it's accurate about you, then tell me what your basic approach to upcoming events is, and same deal, give me some specifics about how your approach has affected your actions in life.
    Screw it. I'll do it now.

I don't think I'm optimistic like that. It sounds naive to me. It's that wording, I'm not a gambling man by nature. I will push it to the limit in an area where I have skill but I don't have much faith in chance.

My basic approach to upcoming events?
    It depends on the context. Generally, learn all I can about the context and take a real tactical approach.

Here is an example. I just got a new job working in a gym here in Japan. Part of the job is working on the phone and on the front counter.
    My Japanese is good but I have no experience in that part of the gym so this is how I approached it...

I studied my ass off, I took copious notes and worked through different scenarios in my head. I practised different ways people could ring, emergency stuff and so forth. Then I got to a point where I left all my notes and study behind. That's how I've approached all my jobs.
    That's how I approach all new stuff.

I kind of went off on a tangent, sorry about that. I suppose what I'm trying to say I believe we make our own luck.

I'm tired, ask if this doesn't make sense.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'd say that I'm a pessimist, not an optimist. Although, I may just be in an "unhealthy situation" for an ISFP at the moment.
    Keirsey does not say that SPs are pessimist, but does say that they are cynical about the past. He also says that where SJs and NTs focus on structure, SPs and NFs focus on motives. The difference is SP types initially question others motives and NF types believe the other person is sincere. So being pessimistic may be relative here, if you know what is causing it. My NF mom always called me pessimistic when I was younger and before I knew type existed. I always considered myself realistic.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

ATTENTION FELLOW SPs.

Yo.

....oh, I'm on? Okay, *ahem*..read this quote from Dr. David W. Keirsey:

Thanks in advance.
    If that's how we're defining optimism, I am definitely not an optimist. (And who thinks NFs are optimists? Ha!) It's interesting how many people claim to be "realists" (but I think that speaks more about their attitude about the present rather than the future). I used to claim to be a realist too. :P

I'm more of perky cynic. I don't believe in luck. I do believe that attitude can be a factor in what we make of how things turn out (if not directly). Hence despite my personal feelings how how something might probably turn out, I would much rather create a positive environment around myself (which admitted, is not usually optimism).

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I'm more of perky cynic. I don't believe in luck. I do believe that attitude can be a factor in what we make of how things turn out (if not directly). Hence despite my personal feelings how how something might probably turn out, I would much rather create a positive environment around myself (which admitted, is not usually optimism).
    So, what about roulette wheels? You think they are all fixed? I mean, what do you mean you "don't believe in luck"?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

So, what about roulette wheels? You think they are all fixed? I mean, what do you mean you "don't believe in luck"?
    I don't believe in luck either. Probability, I do believe in. There is a probability something will happen but it sits outside of yourself.
    Keeping optimistic is good because it keeps you alert for opportunities.

But the way the paragraph is worded, it makes it seem that SP trust in random chance. They believe that they are lucky. I believe we align ourselves with luck using skill and knowledge.

I think Lucky Man by Michael J Fox is a good case example for SP optimism.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Basically what wolfy said. I don't believe in luck: the magical quality that creates a greater likelihood that will go my way. Probability exists on the roulette wheel, but I don't think there is a quantity called "luck" that I can posess or lose, or that can "bless" me.