User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I'll take that as a no
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

A window to the soul

You've got to wonder what's wrong with the person that thinks a grade school education and a HS diploma is enough to compete in the real world. For most of you, it's not and you'll be competing for the minumum wage jobs. How much intelligence does that require? Would an intelligent person settle for that? Probably not.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    You've got to wonder what's wrong with the person that thinks a grade school education and a HS diploma is enough to compete in the real world. For most of you, it's not and you'll be competing for the minumum wage jobs. How much intelligence does that require? Would an intelligent person settle for that? Probably not.
    It's exactly like that.

I have the theory that the nerds who get the good jobs easily because they have some qualification, later on tell everyone: it's easy to get a good job you just have to work on your intelligence.
    but those people never experienced how it is for 98% of the population who just is not intelligent

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Just curious about how everyone here in the NT section views the importance of a university education.

So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them? Would there be a moment where you might consider them to be less intelligent regardless of whether this was the truth or not?

What does a university education mean to you when it comes to your own worth or the worth of another individual?
    IDK. I have only know one person without a university degree by the age of 40. I don't think he is less intelligent than others. But he does seem to have a chip on his shoulder regarding people who have degrees, especially PhDs.

A degree generally certifies that you have gone through a certain program and met its requirements. In the U.S. that is a mix a some general knowledge and some specialization in some field for a B.Sc.
    From someone who has a B.Sc. in a particular field, I would expect a certain amount of general knowledge, and specific knowledge in the field they got their B.Sc. in.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    IDK. I have only know one person without a university degree by the age of 40. I don't think he is less intelligent than others. But he does seem to have a chip on his shoulder regarding people who have degrees, especially PhDs.

A degree generally certifies that you have gone through a certain program and met its requirements. In the U.S. that is a mix a some general knowledge and some specialization in some field for a B.Sc.
    From someone who has a B.Sc. in a particular field, I would expect a certain amount of general knowledge, and specific knowledge in the field they got their B.Sc. in.
    You know only one person by the age of 40 who has no university degree ? Wow you must be living in smartville, where I come from I know only one person who is about to hand in his master thesis next monday

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Not without some serious technical training or perhaps a very high level of self taught skill in a trade or craft. The outlook for the person with just a HS diploma in the US is not very good. Even with a basic BA in a general subject it can be pretty tough to get your foot in the door of that rewarding career.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

In my home town, in my year, only 10-15 of us out of a class of three hundred went on to university/higher education. I'm sure maybe a handful more have completed some thing since, so all up maybe 25 if I'm feeling generous, but that's not even one percent. Only one guy that I heard of has done his pHD.
    I am of course discounting those, who went on to become carpenters and plumbers etc. Which to be honest would have covered maybe 30%. So just under 70% of my year didn't do more than high school qualifications. All be it this is a good 15 years ago. Looking back it makes me feel greedy that I'm going to do a second degree and hopefully if all goes well my masters and evetually my phD.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Looking back it makes me feel greedy that I'm going to do a second degree and hopefully if all goes well my masters and evetually my phD.
    Greedy for punishment anyways . Never reproach yourself for wanting more eduction. Not only is there practical justifications for it, expanding your mind and range of subjects of which one is informed is hardly ever a bad thing.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Nope, degrees are just a human invention which is now almost completely disconnected from reality (barring a few disciplines, like applied physics), so they do not prove how well someone can manipulate the environment (I mean positively manipulate - invent something, etc.), which I consider as the ultimate proof of intelligence.

You know only one person by the age of 40 who has no university degree ? Wow you must be living in smartville, where I come from I know only one person who is about to hand in his master thesis next monday
    Lol. Yeah, if I consider my hometown, only two of my old time friends and classmates have gotten a master's (me and another one).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Interesting!

Would you say you ever feel insecure about that? Do you think you'd ever go get a degree eventually? And, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

What made you decide not to persue a degree? Or was it less a decision and more just what happened in your life? How would you say you are faring in the workforce without a degree?

Hope you don't mind the questions. I'm just very interested.
    Generally no, I'm fine with not having a degree, but it is true that the reason that I decided to work instead of getting a degree has at times been a bit of a proverbial pain in my neck. The family business was in a bad shape when I was 18, after one of the companies went bankrupt, there was a lot of debt to pay up, bank obviously did not want to grant any leniency so both me and my brother started working fulltime in the business to get it back on their feet. We expanded the company in several directions and worked away the void created by the bankrupcy. After that I pretty much stuck with the company, the job is long hours, but it is diverse and always changing and ultimately I think the environement suits me. Even though I used to have different aspirations.

It was a descision to help out my family. Considering I'm in charge of a lot of things here I think I'm doing quite well without a degree.

Do I feel insecure about not having a degree? No, on the contrary. You don't need a degree to be capable. Degrees are not much more than insurances for employers, but what makes a good employee has little to do with degrees. If the person is willpowered to do their job to the best of their ability and has the ability to expand their known boundaries, they can fare well in most any situation without a degree. I am an employer myself, so I don't need to worry about other employers hiring me.

My earlier aspirations were to get into programming. I'm sort of happy I didn't go there. Although it's still a hobby of mine, I couldn't imagine myself doing it fulltime.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf