User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

There's a fine difference between motivation and intelligence, that should say it all as far as I'm concerned.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Can you explain that to lowly humans who dont think binary ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't have a degree, I was born this way.

Yup, this is the third time I made this post. But it's worth repeating.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm an NF, of course but I don't view a degree as an especially major measure of intelligence. Well, maybe to a certain extent. They do generally take time and hard work. But there are so many kinds of intelligence. It would certainly be narrow to look at it in such a way that you MUST have a degree to be "intelligent". Especially because getting a degree has so many financial and other requirements.

I knew a 45 year old who didn't even finish high school, is very intelligent and self-educated in many ways. A good person to have discussions about literature and art and so on with, at least up to a point. However - it was a guy I was interested in, and I also discovered eventually that he was very insecure. I have a bachelors' degree and although I think he was at least somewhat attracted to me, I later realised that there was almost no way he would date a woman who has a lot more education than he does. He's kind of a power/control freak and likes to keep people in inferior/dependent positions. Also, in retrospect, although I liked the fact that he was self-educated in so many ways, and he had managed to become financially successful, I'm not so impressed by the fact that he never went back and at least finished school. I think he had reasons to drop out due to his family being poor and needing to work and so on, but I would view it at least as a positive thing initiative-wise to go back and finish school. With this individual I wondered if it was a sort of reverse snobbery thing where he might consider himself too good for that.

I will say that this (non-)experience made me think a little more in terms of "well, maybe I should think more about dating up or at least on the same level, in terms of education and social class, and do more screening out of guys where I'd be dating down." Frankly, I'm pretty opposed to thinking that way in terms of all people being equal, wanting to avoid snobbery, etc...but it makes me wonder.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Piece of paper. Generally, people with degrees are much better at sounding clever, because they learned the jargon. Largely, I found the academic experience quite exposing for people who don't normally think, and quite stifling for people who normally think about everything. Less of a melting pot, more of a factory for intellectuals.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

A degree does not necessarily donate intelligence. I have worked with plenty of people who were considered intellectually bright, but couldn't do the simplest of tasks, or follow instructions for that matter. The most intelligent people are the ones who know when to toe the line and when thinking out of box is necessary. These people are rare. They usually aren't the honor students either, in my experience either.
    The way I see it, a degree is a societal bench mark, and a base line. All through school and uni, I actually thought I was kinda dumb. Then came one fateful day when I went back to my home town, and I realized that maybe the brainy tag I had been labelled with, was deserved. Why? I met people I had gone to school with, and well some them seemed totally incapable of learning any more. It was like they reached a quota, and I had barely just begun. Those four years formed a divide, that was more than mere intelligence....I think people who have fought to better themselves in any way shape and form would understand this more. It's more about not accepting your lot in life. I say a degree technically means less to, And for those who's families have gone to top ranking uni's for generations, but for some one who scraped themselves through uni, despite being technically from a low socioeconomic background, it speaks absolute volumes about their level of commitment and determination.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I say a degree technically means less to, And for those who's families have gone to top ranking uni's for generations, but for some one who scraped themselves through uni, despite being technically from a low socioeconomic background, it speaks absolute volumes about their level of commitment and determination.
    I agree with this. I don't think you can just look at the degree in isolation. I am proud of my degree (not massively proud, but still proud) - but everyone in my immediate family went to university (and a great many in my extended family), my parents put money aside so that when my scholarship money ran out they paid my fees, and I lived at home rent-free. I am not a spoiled child or a trust fund kid, but I recognize that this counts as a relatively privileged background and it was a sweet deal as far as being able to concentrate on my studies and do well. I didn't have to have a regular job before finishing uni, though I did some freelance work.

So yeah, I view it as a lot more of an accomplishment for someone from a poorer background, unsupported by a family who encouraged education, who had to work and support themselves the whole time, that sort of thing.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I partially agree/disagree with a degree correlating towards intelligence. It depends on the degree for one thing. A Ph.D. degree is generally more challenging than a Bachelor's degree so I'd be likely to perceive the Ph.D. as having a higher level of intelligence. It also depends on the program and the institution. Some programs/institutions are more rigorous than others.

Sadly, it is possible in some cases to get a degree without necessarily being very intelligent. There's alot of grade inflation in college and there are people who do cheat their way through.

I know some very intelligent people who don't have a college degree. Some of these people have a love of learning and a dislike of institutions like college. Some of these people self-teach themselves things and know as much or even more in a given field than someone with a degree.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I don't have a degree, I was born this way.
    Interesting!

Would you say you ever feel insecure about that? Do you think you'd ever go get a degree eventually? And, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

What made you decide not to persue a degree? Or was it less a decision and more just what happened in your life? How would you say you are faring in the workforce without a degree?

Hope you don't mind the questions. I'm just very interested.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    I understand your viewpoint here but to me what's the point in knowing everything and being qualified in everything if you lack the sense to put it to use. I value uneducated home owners higher than educated bums. I know plenty 'real smart' people who suck at life and 'imaginary smart' mansion owners. Each to their own.

I'm sure there have been a couple of shitty heart surgeons too.

The post below me VV sums up my thoughts on the issue.
    I like self-educated bums. They are kind of my kind.
    Why you mansion owners call the police when you see one of us in your street?
    Do you own the police, too?
    Do you own the street?