12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default INTJs and Procrastination

I'm wondering if it unusual, but I often have a terrible time with procrastination. I've always had it. Somehow, I pretty much always end up getting things done and have been pretty successful, but this problem has plagued me all my life.

One side of me says that everybody procrastinates, just on different things. Another side of me says that it may be an N or a P thing (but I'm a J). Do you think this is unusual for an INTJ?

Sniffles

It could be a Ni thing, since I often suffer from the same thing.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's not unusual. The thing is...you still get it done. If we didn't get it done while procrastinating, we wouldn't procrastinate. I think we're just too good at knowing our own capabilities so we let ourselves slide and scrape by.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm a chronic procrastinator. I always end up rushing to do assignments at the last minute and studying the day before exams. I seem to do the opposite of the SJ "work then play".

When I do start I work quite intensely non-stop.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Forest View Post
    I'm a chronic procrastinator. I always end up rushing to do assignments at the last minute and studying the day before exams. I seem to do the opposite of the SJ "work then play".

When I do start I work quite intensely non-stop.
    Yes exactly. That's it.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Most people procrastinate, (except maybe not some SJs), it's not really a type thing. Like who WANTS to do work?

Although if you think about it, procrastinating is more efficient since the work would otherwise expand to fill the amount of time available to it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Although if you think about it, procrastinating is more efficient since the work would otherwise expand to fill the amount of time available to it.
    That's generally what happens with me. I also work well under pressure, so procrastination serves it's purpose.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Most people procrastinate, (except maybe not some SJs), it's not really a type thing. Like who WANTS to do work?

Haha. I like that answer.

Idea:
    • Ps procrastinate because they're easily distracted, and don't want to "shut themselves off" from whatever might happen when they're working. "I'm too busy taking in information, I can't just concentrate on one thing! What about all of this other glorious stuff happening around me?!"
    • Js procrastinate because they don't see the significance or importance of what they're supposed to be doing, and don't want to ignore doing what HAS to be done. "I'm filled to the gills with all of these other responsibilities, I can't take on something so trivial! I can't do everything, you know!"

For Ps to concentrate, they have to convince themselves that whatever they're doing will be interesting to them. For Js to concentrate, they have to convince themselves that whatever they're doing is important or significant to the world.

??
    Hello

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I'm wondering if it unusual, but I often have a terrible time with procrastination. I've always had it. Somehow, I pretty much always end up getting things done and have been pretty successful, but this problem has plagued me all my life.

One side of me says that everybody procrastinates, just on different things. Another side of me says that it may be an N or a P thing (but I'm a J). Do you think this is unusual for an INTJ?
    No. There have been threads (or at least one other thread) on this.