12 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Default Mistrust of ambiguity, aka, needing things to be concrete

So, I just realized that, when I'm doing certain tasks, and I ask for feedback from others, I don't tolerate a lot of ambiguity from others. If there's any ambiguity, I need to ask for clarification.

For example, I'll need to do something, and I'll ask somebody with more experience if it should be done a certain way. I'll often get an answer like "do what makes sense to you." I always find myself unsatisfied with these answers, and want something more concrete.

I'm curious to see if any other NT's possess this trait, or if this is a character quirk that's more unique to me. Have any other NT's noticed this kind of thing in themselves? (Or for that matter, has anyone else noticed this in NT's they know?)
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENTP

In some cases I tolerate ambiguity, in others I don't.
    It really depends on whether or not I find it expedient to my purposes.
    but in people, I have to admit. I find it really annoying.

I can't really think of any concrete examples right now.
    But I'll post em if I do think of them.

Here's a cop out
    Last edited by Nescio; 12-25-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Ambiguity

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post

For example, I'll need to do something, and I'll ask somebody with more experience if it should be done a certain way. I'll often get an answer like "do what makes sense to you." I always find myself unsatisfied with these answers, and want something more concrete.

I hate this answer, period. Do what makes you happy. Do what feels right. Yanno, I might want to go on a killing spree because it "feels right to me". Did anyone ever think of that kind of thing when giving such sage advice?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I hate completely unedifying answers like "do what makes sense to you". It's not like I was trying to do something in the zaniest, most nonsensical way possible before someone bestowed that nugget of wisdom upon me. If someone gives me a suggestion, I'd like it to be constructive -- if I can't do something, it's generally because I lack sufficient knowledge or experience, not because I don't just "go with the flow".

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

So, I just realized that, when I'm doing certain tasks, and I ask for feedback from others, I don't tolerate a lot of ambiguity from others. If there's any ambiguity, I need to ask for clarification.

I'm curious to see if any other NT's possess this trait, or if this is a character quirk that's more unique to me. Have any other NT's noticed this kind of thing in themselves? (Or for that matter, has anyone else noticed this in NT's they know?)
    I understand your need for requesting clarification. I do that. However, when someone tells me "do what makes sense to you" I take it as there is no right or wrong way to do something so long as it gets done. If they don't like my way they should have been more informative.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

I can't tolerate ambiguity in most things I can think of, but I don't always speak up about it.
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I can think of instances where "Do what feels right to you" applies. Different things make different people happy, and because of that, people figure that they aren't in a place to tell others what would work for them. Moreover, we, as individuals, know ourselves better than anyone, so it doesn't make sense to seek out answers to personal questions from others.

But there are also, certainly, instances where it is just annoying. If it relates to a specific task I need to do, like cooking, I'd like less ambiguous information. It's really odd, but it seems to me like most people out there are more comfortable with ambiguity than me. I have to wonder if that's some sort of NT thing.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

I can think of instances where "Do what feels right to you" applies. Different things make different people happy, and because of that, people figure that they aren't in a place to tell others what would work for them. Moreover, we, as individuals, know ourselves better than anyone, so it doesn't make sense to seek out answers to personal questions from others.

But there are also, certainly, instances where it is just annoying. If it relates to a specific task I need to do, like cooking, I'd like less ambiguous information. It's really odd, but it seems to me like most people out there are more comfortable with ambiguity than me. I have to wonder if that's some sort of NT thing.
    I think it's more Ti than NT. I get that more often from people with weak Ti.
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Heinel View Post
    I think it's more Ti than NT. I get that more often from people with weak Ti.
    You're suggesting that the ambiguous, "Do what feels right", response is related to weak Ti? I know that this seems to be really bad with people I suspect to be strong Fs, so there might be something there.

Visit my Johari:

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I find it pretty annoying, like I'd rather people just shrug instead of giving me a completely useless reply like "do what you think is right".