User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Rant on VVT-I

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default Rant on VVT-I

Since the NF use to talk about their personal feelings all the time, I wanted to do so too.

So I was driving today with canny 80 mph on the Autobahn after I polished my black car for 3 hours, when a Toyota Yaris drove by me with around 100 mph. I of course accepted the challenge.

The Toyota got around 90 cu in (1.5 L) and I got around 100 cu in (1.6L). His max torque is reached at 4000 rpm with 132 Nm and max performance comes at 6000 rpm. My max torque is reached at around 3500 rpm with 161 Nm and max performance comes at around 5400 rpm.

So a clear advantage for my clean and shiny and !! without gimmicks !! VW combustion engine.

I chased him then and at around 105 mph, we were blocked by several slower cars until suddenly the path was clear. We both accelerated and you know what he was faster than me !!!

That damned japanese car got gimmicks built-in, namely the VVT-I "Variable-Valve-Timing Intelligent". That was so painful, I nearly cried in my seat. The VVT got two sets of pilot valves, a long and a short one and can switch between them during operation by energizing a magnetic lock, which holds the longer one in place. That allows for a higher filling factor and a short burst of more power at high speeds.

When then at around 115 mph his engine couldnt take it no longer and I overtook from the right with around 138 mph. Thanks to my local "legal" car dealer who had the equipment that helped me to remove the electronic barrier, which tries to limit my output to 118 mph.

That was so...ahh. I am still angry.

At least I beat him in style everytime:

Beautiful (not my one tho, that's from a tuner):

Ugly:

I am thinking about buying myself a Rotrex compressor, which will power the whole thing from 105 HP up to 120 HP. But it costs $6350 and I think my gf is gonna kill me, if I take a credit on the children
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Fear the japanese, biznatch!

<3 japanese vehicles
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am gonna outsmart them all one day and activate my gas turbine on the highway if they want to try on me again

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Why do you want to stick a supercharger in there? That thing has turbos already, right? Maybe a higher-efficiency intercooler would work as well.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

*pets his Subaru Forester*
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Since the NF use to talk about their personal feelings all the time, I wanted to do so too.

So I was driving today with canny 80 mph on the Autobahn after I polished my black car for 3 hours, when a Toyota Yaris drove by me with around 100 mph. I of course accepted the challenge.

The Toyota got around 90 cu in (1.5 L) and I got around 100 cu in (1.6L). His max torque is reached at 4000 rpm with 132 Nm and max performance comes at 6000 rpm. My max torque is reached at around 3500 rpm with 161 Nm and max performance comes at around 5400 rpm.

So a clear advantage for my clean and shiny and !! without gimmicks !! VW combustion engine.

I chased him then and at around 105 mph, we were blocked by several slower cars until suddenly the path was clear. We both accelerated and you know what he was faster than me !!!

That damned japanese car got gimmicks built-in, namely the VVT-I "Variable-Valve-Timing Intelligent". That was so painful, I nearly cried in my seat. The VVT got two sets of pilot valves, a long and a short one and can switch between them during operation by energizing a magnetic lock, which holds the longer one in place. That allows for a higher filling factor and a short burst of more power at high speeds.

When then at around 115 mph his engine couldnt take it no longer and I overtokk from the right with around 138 mph. Thanks to my local "legal" car dealer who had the equipment that helped me to remove the electronic barrier, which tries to limit my output to 118 mph.

That was so...ahh. I am still angry.

At least I beat him in style everytime:

Beautiful (not my one tho, that's from a tuner):

Ugly:

I am thinking about buying myself a Rotrex compressor, which will power the whole thing from 105 HP up to 120 HP. But it costs $6350 and I think my gf is gonna kill me, if I take a credit on the children

Nice I wish I can try the autobahn, but straight line racing isn't my thing, I'm more into drifting and rally racing, it's more about the driver's skillz in these situations. I've already done 150+mph though.

So variable valve timing and ignition was enough to beat your slightly larger displacement engine huh? Perhaps you should factor in Power to Weight Ratio though. They say there is no replacement for displacement, but those are the muscle car bucket heads in here america. V-TEC, turbo, superchargers, are all suitable replacements for displacement for me. It maximizes performance AND efficiency. I used to own a 1995 2.4 Liter Nissan 240SX with around 160 ft lbs torque, and 160 HP. Now I own a 2.0 Liter Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution with about 280 HP 280 ft lbs torque... BUT it get's the exact same gas mileage (kilometers per liter) as my old 240sx, except with LARGE gains in POWER.

Don't waste money fixing up your car, buy one that was engineered to and performs well in the first place, I learned this the hard way.

BTW, for a huge torque boost, I recommend having a short gear gearbox, my old friend modified his Acura Integra to use a Honda Del Sol transmission, and that thing TOOK OFF FAST. In the 1/4 mile he ran 14.5 or so with a tiny piece of crap engine, probably around 120 HP.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Nice

Ya the spelling "no replacement for displacement" refers to turbochargers I think. but you are right, my car has a weight of around 1.6 tons and 5 stars in crash tests. the Yaris got 3 stars and got more plastic components.

But when I parked my car after the race, I figured my climate was still on, without that I would have eaten him

P.S.: So ft lbs is your unit for torque ? I was trieing to find that out but the english wikipedia always talked about SI Units.

Skimming this thread has made my workday more bearable.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Nice

Ya the spelling "no replacement for displacement" refers to turbochargers I think. but you are right, my car has a weight of around 1.6 tons and 5 stars in crash tests. the Yaris got 3 stars and got more plastic components.

But when I parked my car after the race, I figured my climate was still on, without that I would have eaten him

P.S.: So ft lbs is your unit for torque ? I was trieing to find that out but the english wikipedia always talked about SI Units.
    lol yea you definitely want to turn off air conditioning in a race.

Yea "standard" system over here we use ft lbs for torque, to tell the truth I don't like it, there are too many fractional numbers and sometimes irrational numbers. Metric system is so much simpler.

The 'climate control situation' has been eating away at me. I am experiencing a temporarily reduced opinion of you and your VVT-I rant.