User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 42

  1. #1
    Member Sachetan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    43

    Default Help! ENTP with an ESTJ boss

    Fellow ENTPs, any experience of this?

    I'm a female ENTP in her thirties who's gotten pretty far with her ambitions. I've been working in a field of media for some years now. It's a managerial position with lots of freedom and power to control the creative production. Kind of a dream job, though I've been looking for something new for a while now.

    I got a new boss, an ESTJ, and suddenly my work has turned into a nightmare. The guy's great with manipulating superiors but I can see right through him. I guess that's why he seems to be scared of me. He hasn't got what it takes to do his job: no creativeness or any idea of quality. All he cares for is cutting expenses and following anal rules. If that wasn't enough he's terrible socially: Macho, conservative, sexist. Now he's after my job 'cause I'm the only female there with any power and he dislikes me clearly. Well, a strong and opinionated ENTP woman must be the worst kind of a femme for a guy like him...

    I guess this must be the worst combination ever. Any recommendations? Should I fight him or just run to freedom?

  2. #2

    Default

    I swear that all ESTJs are scared of NTs. You can just feel the paranoia seeping through their pores, because they know that you're a million times brighter, wittier, and more interesting than them.

    The only thing I have to say to an NT dealing with an ESTJ is that you will never get him/her to agree with any improvements you envision or propose. If you really need this job, my only advice would be to beat him at his own game. Ignore the sexist crap as best you can and do all of the banal tasks he assigns you perfectly. You'll probably be miserable, but honestly, trying to get him to see the light is never going to work and not worth it.

  3. #3
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    What are the chances that he will screw up completly in something?

  4. #4
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    In life I've learned to deal with ESTJs in non personal relations like this: Nod your head and don't say a word. Do everything he says. If he screws up it's his fault, you were just doing as you were told.

    I'd like to add that male ESTJs are some of the worst people I've ever had to deal with, almost all of them I've encountered are unhealthy. So you aren't alone in this, I'm sure we all feel your pain. I swear there is a male INFJ for every healthy ESTJ out there.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  5. #5
    Member Sachetan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    What are the chances that he will screw up completly in something?
    I wish. But with him being so anal that doesn't seem likely.

    He's already done a lot of financial damage to the company in a short amount of time but found others to blame for his mistakes. I don't know how he does it but he knows how to handle the board members and the VIPs. He's sneaky and slippery. Type I've never met before in the creative industry.

  6. #6
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    If he's done damage then you should probably tell someone with authority. Give them raw facts. What can he do, fire you for doing something for the company?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  7. #7
    Member Sachetan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    If he's done damage then you should probably tell someone with authority. Give them raw facts. What can he do, fire you for doing something for the company?
    He's got himself covered pretty well but there is something I might be able to proof. If it goes wrong then it's my head on a chopping block. Our superior is very fond of him for whatever reason.

    But I guess it's worth a try. I couldn't work for someone like that for much longer anyway.

  8. #8
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sachetan View Post
    He's got himself covered pretty well but there is something I might be able to proof. If it goes wrong then it's my head on a chopping block. Our superior is very fond of him for whatever reason.

    But I guess it's worth a try. I couldn't work for someone like that for much longer anyway.
    Why don't you send the data/idea anonymously?


    I presume there is a reason.

  9. #9
    Member Sachetan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why don't you send the data/idea anonymously?


    I presume there is a reason.
    My evidence relies mostly on what my subordinates have seen and heard. They won't have the guts to go public on their own. Then there's the question about loyalties. I don't want to jeopardize anyone's career for my sake. I can get another one but some of my subs cannot.

    It's sure is tricky. I really have to think this through long and hard...

  10. #10
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sachetan View Post
    My evidence relies mostly on what my subordinates have seen and heard. They won't have the guts to go public on their own. Then there's the question about loyalties. I don't want to jeopardize anyone's career for my sake. I can get another one but some of my subs cannot.

    It's sure is tricky. I really have to think this through long and hard...
    If you work in a environment that has so many levels and such a complexity then I doubt that people here can help you much. Since we lack large amount data and this has to be planned and carryed through perfectly.
    If you want this to work of course.

Similar Threads

  1. [ESTJ] Can you help me with my ESTJ fiance?
    By FullofMoxie in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2016, 09:46 PM
  2. [ESTJ] living with an ESTJ
    By corey_vann in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO