First 12345 Last

Thread: ENTP Therapist?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I've been to six therapists when I was having bad anxiety for a few years. Only one who worked for me was a T, I think. He had logical solutions to my problems that I still use every day. And my anxiety is under control, now. I couldn't stand just sitting in those offices with fuzzy-wuzzy F's talking about my problems. I talk about my problems all day to my friends. I need soulutions damnit not more reflection!!!

So yea, I think it could work.
    Logical solutions?

Hmmm, I am an upper division psych. major and we never overtly study, or learn to become "logical practitioners" in the field.

Though I must say, I have benefited GREATLY from cognitive-behavioral therapy, but this has been through my reading and rereading of some pretty awesome books, who may or may not have been written by some Ts.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Nah, I just tune out, imagine myself strangling them, and wait for them to wind down so there can be a rational discussion.

In the interest of equality, with out of control Te I do much the same thing, but I imagine slapping them instead of strangling.
    I just had this discussion with Javo, spooky
    LOL, well whatever works for you I guess. Runaway T just gives me a head ache, but if I recognize it fast enough and they do not require me to answer them, I enjoy watching them take of on a rant
    Actually, sometimes I make my Ne go all nuts on purpose as some people find it very funny to watch
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i agree. "different strokes for different folks" means there is no reason why a T can't succeed in this field.

In the end, what makes a good therapist is interest. They care about the lives of their patients and they try their best to help. The rest is simply a matter of experience. And interest provides the drive to obtain the experience... to look beyond the surface.

The question shouldn't be about whether Ts will make a good therapist. The question should have been on how interested you are in becoming one. Why do you want to be one and how much effort are you willing to put in to succeed.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Logical solutions?

Hmmm, I am an upper division psych. major and we never overtly study, or learn to become "logical practitioners" in the field.

Though I must say, I have benefited GREATLY from cognitive-behavioral therapy, but this has been through my reading and rereading of some pretty awesome books, who may or may not have been written by some Ts.
    yes!! I was having massive panic attacks by the time I got to him. He tought me some simple solutions to abort an attack, about the physiology of the attack. corrected my thinking patterns a bit, and told me to exercise. And my anxiety has been under control ever since. (he wasn't totally cold, though, he may have well been a very logical feeler, or a feeler who realized my need for solid solutions, who knows?)
    All the other ones wanted me to try free-writing, wanted me to call my friends when I was feeling down, asked me a whole bunch of questions about my problem, kept asking questions, kept asking questions, kept asking questions, kept letting me talk. It just wasn't working.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

When I google for "ENTP +theraphist" I find 4 results and the first 2 are posts by me. Guess theraphist is written without the extra h
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    When I do my periodic life course correction I think about different careers. Lately, I have been looking at being a therapist (or an attorney). The thing I like about being a therapist is helping people overcome and optimize as people, to get what they want and need out of life. I am aloof enough not to get too involved personally, analytical enough with enough emotional intelligence to wade into chthonic emotional waters, and I am very interested in people.

Do you think ENTP's could make successful therapists? Do you know of any?
    I'm an attorney right now and am applying to psych grad school for next year. Probably a phd in clinical psych. Also, I'm probably ENTPish.

I think it would make a great career for someone who is ENTP, for the reasons digest stated: solving problems, mapping circumstances, mapping psychic "forces" or patterns, helping others, being objective, and being creative in problem solving (probably my favorite part). The major differences, imo, between law and psychology are:

* law have fewer opportunities to experience beauty
    * litigation in inherently adversarial, which is fun, but imo doesn't promote well being; so, while you are helping YOUR CLIENT, you are doing it at someone else's expense
    * transactional work (drawing up agreements) can be boring
    * law can be very tedious; procedure plays a major major rule, more than justice
    * law will pay better, but your quality of life will suffer
    * with psychology, you have more opportunity to study yourself and the nature of people; with law, you are studying situations and frameworks
    * there is less opportunity for connection in law

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

For what it is worth, I do think that Synarch and Edahn could easily make great therapists.

And I don't say that to kiss ass, I say that because I mean it.
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post

In the end, what makes a good therapist is interest. They care about the lives of their patients and they try their best to help. The rest is simply a matter of experience. And interest provides the drive to obtain the experience... to look beyond the surface.

The question shouldn't be about whether Ts will make a good therapist. The question should have been on how interested you are in becoming one. Why do you want to be one and how much effort are you willing to put in to succeed.
    exactly! all Ts wouldn't make great therapists anymore than all Fs would.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENTP

yeah, I'm an awesome therapist It's one of my irons in the fire so to speak, for possible career advancement, to upgrade my counsellor qualification and experience in religious chaplaincy and secular community work, into a full psychiatry degree and go down that road.

It has been a tricky learning curve though, because you have to big up your Fe but not so much to the extent that it paralyses you from saying anything unpleasant that has to be said, so you're using it to find a way to say what Ne/Ti know needs communicating, in a way that saves face yet gently challenges the client.

It has left me somewhat vulnerable in my personal life though, with heightened Fe, to being more easily upset by people around me... I have to remember to engage Ti again to take that step back.

edit - artificial augmentation of my Te to coequal with Ti has had interesting effects too, which I've also been learning to harness in my work...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do think that the field of therapy is dominated by Fs and for good reason.

Although, in the same breath I would say that there are plenty of Ts who would also make both lovely and effective therapists.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles