User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Its the whole this is beneath me thing.

All throughout life I had a way of turning the things I hated the most into a fun challenge. Untill I found out that I was an ENTP and it was holy shit I don't have to like doing this and its ok. But things still need to get done I just lost my gusto. So here is me saying screw boredom, you're smart, find a way to make it interesting.
    ENT's might not do this as much, but I'll completely and automatically zone out/day dream/get into deep thought when I have to do mundane tasks.

The only way to make doing the dishes interesting for me is to totally detach from the situation.

ThatGirl

That's perfect sometimes mundane chores are my only thereputic alone time. I'm not doing nothing I am cutting two thousand foils for hightlights, oh this is boring, don't worry ill finish it because I'm cool like that you can go it won't bother me.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Do you find certain things to be so simple and boring that you you put off doing them for a long time?
    Who doesn't? I don't think it's a type dependent thing. Although being a J has its perks in getting things done (eventually...)

Do you believe you are capable of doing much more than what you're current responsibilities are but do lack luster on the current "simple" responsibilities?
    For some tasks yes. I'm an idea person... much better at planning than implementing small details. Sometimes I get irritated by what I consider as ineffective group decisions.

If you have them, do you believe you can overcome these tendencies? If so, how?
    I wouldn't call it being "full of myself" because I know perfectly well where my strengths and weaknesses lies. But I do try to go along with group decisions even if I think things could be done better. For the little things anyhow, if it's going to cause problems later on I'll definitely point them out.

Its the whole this is beneath me thing.

All throughout life I had a way of turning the things I hated the most into a fun challenge. Untill I found out that I was an ENTP and it was holy shit I don't have to like doing this and its ok. But things still need to get done I just lost my gusto. So here is me saying screw boredom, you're smart, find a way to make it interesting.

Its a stupid realization to say this bores me because it doesn't matter and its not a good strategy
    So what are some ways you make things interesting?

The usual suggestion of turning it into a game isn't particularly effective because the only reason I like games is for the "puzzle" aspect of them, I get very little motivation from "winning." I also hate time-pressure, so trying to see how fast I can do it is actually counter-productive. Figuring out how to automate it, however, is fun, but not always practical.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    ENT's might not do this as much, but I'll completely and automatically zone out/day dream/get into deep thought when I have to do mundane tasks.

The only way to make doing the dishes interesting for me is to totally detach from the situation.
    That's perfect sometimes mundane chores are my only thereputic alone time. I'm not doing nothing I am cutting two thousand foils for hightlights, oh this is boring, don't worry ill finish it because I'm cool like that you can go it won't bother me.

There are somethings that are mundane but requires enough mental attention to do them--so I can't zone out. Dishes don't tend to be a problem, except when I am in a mode of not wanting to do anything at all.

Things like reading through your mail for bills and financial info. to see if you missed anything (I toss out all the garbage, but still there is a lot of things that look like tax-info or bills) do require some focus.

Tasks at work, that essentially involve reading a schematics and taking note of signals that need to be connected to corresponding places in another design, going through and adding up all the decoupling capacitance in a design, and other such things--not too bad in small doses, but sometimes, that is the only type of thing to do for months on end.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Definitely yes. I often exploit the ease of my job to slack off at work because I know no one cares and/or sometimes encourages it.

Hmm, well, no. It's not so much that I lack luster on my current responsibilities but when I do focus on them, they can get overwhelming very fast which is slowing me down from taking on more responsibilities.

No.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

WELL I'm certainly not full of other people...!

ThatGirl

So what are some ways you make things interesting?

The usual suggestion of turning it into a game isn't particularly effective because the only reason I like games is for the "puzzle" aspect of them, I get very little motivation from "winning." I also hate time-pressure, so trying to see how fast I can do it is actually counter-productive. Figuring out how to automate it, however, is fun, but not always practical.

There are somethings that are mundane but requires enough mental attention to do them--so I can't zone out. Dishes don't tend to be a problem, except when I am in a mode of not wanting to do anything at all.

Things like reading through your mail for bills and financial info. to see if you missed anything (I toss out all the garbage, but still there is a lot of things that look like tax-info or bills) do require some focus.

Tasks at work, that essentially involve reading a schematics and taking note of signals that need to be connected to corresponding places in another design, going through and adding up all the decoupling capacitance in a design, and other such things--not too bad in small doses, but sometimes, that is the only type of thing to do for months on end.
    Well, thats a toughy,

In regards to mail I usually keep my own list of things that need to be attended to and rely little on actual statments for that. So even if things get trashed it doesn't matter because Ive already got that covered. It takes me less than an hour to organize evrything and that time seems like an accomplishment to me.

I don't give a shit about winning either, but at the same time (and maybe I am self depreciating who knows) I understand that I could not possibly be the best at my job. There is always someone or something better. So I just focus on what other people have that I dont and keep trying to learn.

At the rare chance that I have somehow maxed out my field then I would simply shift my focus to the next level above. But, to me everything is a ladder effect.

If I love what I do but have a hard time with details within it, the I just keep my mind focused on the bigger picture.

But i am one of those who challenges myself with little accomplishments to justify my reaching for greater. If I focus too far ahead I become overwhelmed. I find some sort of security in knowing no one could accomplish what I can and I am somehow indispensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Firelie View Post
    WELL I'm certainly not full of other people...!
    That's a pretty common retort it seems. But the use of a popular statement like that indicates you may indeed be full of other people. Some say we are just meme machines.

Well, thats a toughy,

In regards to mail I usually keep my own list of things that need to be attended to and rely little on actual statments for that. So even if things get trashed it doesn't matter because Ive already got that covered. It takes me less than an hour to organize evrything and that time seems like an accomplishment to me.

I don't give a shit about winning either, but at the same time (and maybe I am self depreciating who knows) I understand that I could not possibly be the best at my job. There is always someone or something better. So I just focus on what other people have that I dont and keep trying to learn.

At the rare chance that I have somehow maxed out my field then I would simply shift my focus to the next level above. But, to me everything is a ladder effect.

If I love what I do but have a hard time with details within it, the I just keep my mind focused on the bigger picture.

But i am one of those who challenges myself with little accomplishments to justify my reaching for greater. If I focus too far ahead I become overwhelmed. I find some sort of security in knowing no one could accomplish what I can and I am somehow indispensible.
    I am talking about circumstances when you have to do something to keep you job (or something along those lines) but you cannot seem to engage on the tasks at hand.

What if you have to take care of the details to keep your job? or if you have to stay focused on what you are doing currently (without some form of career change)?

Mail may be a bad example, since that isn't really a major problem, just a nuisance.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

When I have to do mundane things around the house like sort laundry, sweep floors, iron clothes, I usually get on the phone so I can have a stimulating conversation while I'm doing that mindless stuff. If I'm scrubbing the bathroom, it's harder to talk on the phone, so I turn up the stereo full blast.

MBTI
    xxxx

NT's are perhaps the temperament most known for their arrogance.

Do you find certain things to be so simple and boring that you you put off doing them for a long time?

Do you believe you are capable of doing much more than what you're current responsibilities are but do lack luster on the current "simple" responsibilities?

If you have them, do you believe you can overcome these tendencies? If so, how?
    I think your questions are about procrastination not arrogance. And NT's are fantastic procrastinators. Or at least I am. If it's not interesting I can ignore it indefinitely.

It doesn't mean that the task is beneath me, just that it doesn't capture my attention. Getting motivated requires interest or a deadline. So I overcome the tendency by creating deadlines for myself. I often miss them though, it's a work in progress.