User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Oh no I'm a Sensor Racist D:

Have been spending time in my lonely room feeling sorry for myself and how lonely I am, trying to type all my friends who aren't around - as is the custom.

And in particular there is this person in whom I have lately taken an interest. For some reason I seem to have decided he is the most fantastic kindest person in existence, and I should make an effort to get to know him better. At first I had him down as an INFP, but after some consideration I realised that he seems to be more S than N.

And my heart broke :P (no, really...) Basically, I still think he is one of the nicest people I know and he has been incredibly kind to me. But I seem to think 'how much more of him is there actually to know if he is a Sensor? I already know him superficially - is that it?' I feel like such a horrible person for thinking this. Surely just because you're more concrete than abstract that doesn't mean you have no depth?

I have already tried some fishing with him, and he hasn't responded very much but I don't know to what extent that is just him being reluctant or if he just doesn't have much to say in response to my long-winded vague existential arguments... I'm worried that I have just bored him.

I have another friend who is also an ISFP (this one I'm pretty sure about) and his inability to understand me is actually one of the things I like the most because I feel safe from being judged - he sort of smiles and nods and is all loveliness. But this other guy I somehow really want to understand me and I just really wish he would open up and respond with something interesting. (To be honest I just want anyone at all to do this and am desperately looking for candidates...)

I'm also a bit concerned that I'm perhaps relying too much on MBTI: surely it shouldn't make me change my understanding of someone so completely? But then again it is pretty much the only tool (as far as I'm concerned) to actually get under the skin of people of different temperaments and not have unrealistic expectations...

Oh I don't know...

What do people think? Have you had 'deeper' relationships with Sensors?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I think it's good that you can see in yourself some potential negative effects the "boxing" methods of MBTI can have on us.

I guess we should just interact with people we love in more flowish ways true to the heart.

And just because the kid can't respond to your explorative ideas doesn't necessarily equate with a lack of interest on his part; it just may mean that he isn't quite so adept as you are at processing and constructing those kinds designs.

MBTI
    yupp

i believe that no one's completely n or completely s

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I think what Raptor Wizard said was pretty right on.

I ISFP's. At least the 2 I know. And I know them pretty well. They are pretty simple people in some ways, but that doesn't mean they lack depth or there isn't much to know about them. They do have Ni and Fi. Their emotions are complex, and they learn a lot from their experiences. They can have interesting thoughts. It does seem to be a pattern that they aren't that interested in complex thinking. They're more into learning a lot of facts and then finding patterns in them, or thinking in abstract impressions. Try talking to them about esoteric things or conspiracy theories. All 3 of the ISXP's I know are into them. They probably are also into art, music, film, and physical activities.

I too have found them to be really caring and considerate people, just sweet. And wonderfully affectionate.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Do you think a difference between INFP and ISFP is that INFP's are more interested in understanding people and being understood? It seems that ISFP's process things more unconsciously in this regard, but they also just do it naturally. Like Ni just knows things and brings them to the surface as needed. INFP's want to conceptualize things more.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I can't speak on behalf of all ISFP's... but I think a big issue is inability to bring to words the thoughts and emotions we experience. It's less a lack of depth, and more a lack in ability to verbalize the internal world. Facts and tangibles are easier to explain, and sometimes you have to jump from concrete example to concrete example with us to piece together the picture we have inside. Because xNFP's are better at verbalizing, we can sometimes feel incompetent and inferior in comparison, and become uncomfortable. So an ISFP changing conversation or coming off as stone cold doesn't necessarily mean disinterest or inability to comprehend. (Though, sometimes that may be the case.) It may just be an unease in coming up with a response.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post

I can't speak on behalf of all ISFP's... but I think a big issue is inability to bring to words the thoughts and emotions we experience. It's less a lack of depth, and more a lack in ability to verbalize the internal world. Facts and tangibles are easier to explain, and sometimes you have to jump from concrete example to concrete example with us to piece together the picture we have inside. Because xNFP's are better at verbalizing, we can sometimes feel incompetent and inferior in comparison, and become uncomfortable. So an ISFP changing conversation or coming off as stone cold doesn't necessarily mean disinterest or inability to comprehend. (Though, sometimes that may be the case.) It may just be an unease in coming up with a response.
    That was awfully well-put for an ISFP...

IMPOSTER!

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    That was awfully well-put for an ISFP...

IMPOSTER!

I'm an ISFP who became frustrated with the inability to articulate my thoughts. I worked really hard at developing that side of myself, as it didn't seem to come naturally for me. I had described myself to an INFJ friend as feeling as though I were experiencing a disconnect between my brain and my mouth. Inside I felt chaos that I couldn't explain in words. Journaling + wonderful and inspiring philosophy and english teachers = a pretty dern articulate and loquacious ISFP.

I think the ISFP 6's tend to be the most verbally expressive and 9's the least, with 4's somewhere in the middle.

I feel like the world of Fi and Ni just isn't naturally in the realm of language. And it's sort of what pushes a lot of ISFP's towards the arts or other physical and sensual expression.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

My lil sister was an isfp I think. She had a lot of depth... Just as much as any infp. The only main n/s difference was that she often took things at face value rather than look for deeper meaning. She was very literal and lots of communication issues arose when she assumed any of the intuitive members of my family were. Haha

Out of 5 of us there are just two sensors and they often seemed bored when we were theorizing about stuff or interpreting situations when they saw no need for it.

But neither lacked in interesting ideas or opinions.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

xSFPs are the best people in the world