User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: INFP vs. INFJ

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Which type would need more time to know how to respond to someone? Very often it takes me a while to piece together my opinion about someone's behavior because there are so many layers involved. I have been told my face is expressive, but very often my mind is sorting things out, so there isn't some solid conclusion i have about the actions of others.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Er... it's 4:14 AM here, and I'd rather go to sleep before my parents awaken in that temporary "I-woke-up-just-to-tell-you-to-go-to-sleep-and-I'm-irritated-so-go-to-sleep-already" state. (I enjoyed that, yeah.) I will return to the thread in the morning/noon...
    Not really.

heart on fire

Jung is the one who uses the term oppressive to describe Fi:

Classics in the History of Psychology -- Jung (1921/1923) Chapter 10

"...Although in the normal type, the tendency, above alluded to, to overpower or coerce the object once openly and visibly with the thing secretly felt, rarely plays a disturbing role, and never leads to a serious attempt in this direction, some trace of it, none the less, leaks through into the personal effect upon the object, in the form of a domineering influence often difficult to define. It is sensed as a sort of stifling or oppressive feeling which holds the immediate circle under a spell..."

Psychological Types
    C. G. Jung (1921)

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Which type would need more time to know how to respond to someone? Very often it takes me a while to piece together my opinion about someone's behavior because there are so many layers involved. I have been told my face is expressive, but very often my mind is sorting things out, so there isn't some solid conclusion i have about the actions of others.
    Okay, one last...

What you describe is my stance. I know this to be true, because my ISP friend is irritated about my unwillingness to agree with his snap-judgments and the rather swiftly formed, opinionated (but not invalid) views. I just assume that there's much that I have yet to know, whereas he's happier with making judgments based on his past experience or what he currently sees... and extrapolating from the same.
    Not really.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Which type would need more time to know how to respond to someone? Very often it takes me a while to piece together my opinion about someone's behavior because there are so many layers involved.
    INFJs seem to have things figured out a lot more than I have. I think they have more solid "big picture" about how things work. Then they just go to their big picture, compare it with any given situation and throw an opinion. It takes more time for me to consider the possible viewpoints to a topic.

heart on fire

Sometimes I cannot respond to someone or something I feel deeply about. I get like Fi locked in and cannot move the words from my brain to my lips or hands. I usually have a pretty good idea what I feel about something the moment it happens, but not so sure what I think about it and need to spend time thinking. Anger or something silly is easy to talk about ( I assume because Ne or Te can wing that), but sentiment or something serious, I can get locked up about because I am more serious about it and want to be very careful how I phrase it.

My husband always, always has to talk about something with someone else before he knows what he feels about it.

MBTI
    OMNi

Could you expand on that. I'm not certain of the distinction between the two, but it could well be fundamentally important.
    A few posts on the topic...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...93-post91.html
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...30-post46.html
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...51-post21.html
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...01-post41.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Those are interesting and consistent posts. Can you see how they are in conflict with some responses in this thread and in some other threads about INFJs and INFPs? I suppose it is worth looking up some of the original material on the subject. I think the P and J tendencies and behaviors get swapped around quite a bit. I find it confusing to say the least.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

That's interesting about the disapproval thing - once or twice I've manage to dissuade people from behaviours that I wasn't happy about them doing, without really having to say much at all.

I am usually fairly easygoing, though, so not too many things cross that line. I don't mind a lot of things which would annoy some INFP friends of mine. Which might explain why PM mentioned she'd only seen in in IFP types - it seems to take a fair bit more to get an EFP to disapprove silently like that.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    I am usually fairly easygoing, though, so not too many things cross that line. I don't mind a lot of things which would annoy some INFP friends of mine. Which might explain why PM mentioned she'd only seen in in IFP types - it seems to take a fair bit more to get an EFP to disapprove silently like that.
    I would say that the key to this is to not disapprove that often. People rarely hear me disapproving anything, so it must have more effect when I do.