• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] looking for easy career

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Greeters are being reduced.

Wal-Mart cuts back on greeters
The retail behemoth has been phasing out greeters on the late-night shift at its 3,000-plus US supercenters.
By Karen Datko Jan 25, 2012

When you go to Wally World late at night, don't expect to hear "Welcome to Wal-Mart" when you walk through the door.

The nation's largest private employer has been eliminating greeters on the 10 p.m.-to-7 a.m. shift at its 3,000-plus supercenters over the last six months, "chipping away at a 30-year tradition of making sure all shoppers are welcomed to the store," Bloomberg reports. Most supercenters are open 24 hours a day.

Cost cutting has much to do with this. "Same-store sales at Wal-Mart's namesake U.S. locations declined for nine straight quarters before snapping the streak with a 1.3% gain for the quarter ended in October," Bloomberg says.

The greeters have been moved to other jobs, like stocking shelves.

Greeters have been a fixture and the face of Wal-Mart for many years, but I'm betting that some of those greeters welcome the change. A greeter has what's probably one of the toughest jobs in the store -- being on your feet all day, blasted by outside heat and cold through the open doors, and saying the same thing over and over again.

Full story: http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post.aspx?post=f9fa2c85-5d69-41e0-9ea9-870054e6a2f5

G

garbage

Maybe in the arts? (and good luck fighting off the competition there). Not in science, unless you really luck out with a lazy government job or something (not many of those around these days). Industry and academia will both require you to work your ass off for decades. The image of the tenured prof sitting in his office doing nothing is pretty far from reality in my experience.
Yeah, I'm carefully caveating my statement (e.g. "finding the right university") because I definitely know that my experiences don't reflect all of research. Many universities have extremely strict "publish or perish" rules, many others demand that you bring in grant money that amounts to multiple times your own salary, and so on.

Some universities also differentiate the roles of research and academia/faculty/teaching more than others, too. My experience is with scientific research, touching upon the arts, in a university that separates research and faculty positions to a large degree. Some university research centers operate as if individual researchers are individual entrepreneurs, which means that they're responsible for themselves (and business development can be a bitch) but that they have a good amount of flexibility. In those positions, once they have a name for themselves in some valuable area of their expertise, they can basically ride that to sustain themselves (business development is much less of a bitch) if they so choose--or they can choose to branch out, to expand their enterprise, so to speak. However, even getting to the point where they have a name for themselves does take a tremendous amount of work upfront.

There are tremendous disadvantages, too; chief among them are that the positions aren't easy to come by and the jobs aren't portable.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If you were in Brazil, I think you could try to work for the government. You would need to pass a test, which is very competitive, but once you're there, you're there for your whole life! They can't fire you! They can't ever fire you! Unless you really screw things up, or do something ilegal. Basically, you have that job until you get retired. But there's nothing against being slow, for example. On the forums (idk if this is the right english word) and banks, people sometimes are very slow and, at least in the forums, disorganized and not necessarily nice.

I'm not sure of how it works there, but from what people have told me: it usually doesn't have very complicated stuff to do; there are people who (I don't know how) manage to don't go to work for several days, or months; you have free health care for you and your kids; you have many benefits, and etc. If you are a good employee, you may be promoted, but you can keep your position if you want (or if you're not a good employee). You don't make loads of money, but you can have a nice life. My uncle and aunt are public employees.

Maybe your country has something like that.

Yeah, many people here are taking the thread as a joke, but I took it seriously. xD

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=12288]Elfa[/MENTION]... I do believe that the american equivalent is suggesting that he check into a job with his state's Bureau of Motor Vehicles :cheese:

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=12288]Elfa[/MENTION]... I do believe that the american equivalent is suggesting that he check into a job with his state's Bureau of Motor Vehicles :cheese:

And so we found a career for the OP. :cheers:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And so we found a career for the OP. :cheers:

indeed... a career that pays decently, you aren't EXPECTED to be fast or nice or even fully competent and you get to take terrible pictures of people that everyone gets to laugh at for the next 4 years and people HAVE to be nice to you because if you aren't you could do something horrible with their paperwork :shock:

also, a good deal of the work is now being done through the internet, so there's less dealing with people :yes:

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=8141]think2much[/MENTION]... Hum... Taking now the thread a little more seriously, we may have found a nice possibility of job for you, but, as [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION] said, maybe you should take care of yourself first? I feel sad that you call yourself lazy and stupid, and I'm really sorry for that. :(

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
how about aiming lower? like forget the job, and try to get on something like welfare?.

This is the ultimate in easy. i think mmhmm still has the best suggestion/solution.

You're thinking about life completely wrong.

I'll give you my back up career.

Mental illness.

You sit around all day doing nothing...but you can do anything as long as you're not physically hurting yourself or others. The people around you are interesting, (some quite brilliant in their own way). Food, clothes, and shelter are provided for you...your job is to simply fake a mental disorder, which is easy enough...everyone is crazy.

And mental institutions can be very swanky places.

that's a pretty good suggestion, actually.

There's a This American Life episode where a guy fakes that he's crazy to enter an asylum. Not because he's lazy, though. But it turns out he's a psychopath, and they won't let him out.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/385/pro-se

You guys have obv. never even been NEAR a mental institution to even think that's a good idea.

talk about hard work and NON swanky.

S

Society

I don't even know how I can keep a job since I can't even take care of my basic needs. If I'm gonna live I'm gonna need some money.

sign up to be a secret shopper: you'll get paid for service reviews, plus free meals.
http://www.mystery-shoppers.com/

grow your hair:
http://www.everywaytomakemoney.com/selling-hair.html

masturbate - into a lot of cups:
http://www.infobarrel.com/How_Much_Money_Can_You_Make_Selling_Sperm_-_Make_Over_1000

take random photo's:
http://www.shutterstock.com/?cnn=yes

take online surveys:
http://www.101waystomakemoney.com/make-money-with-online-surveys-and-market-research-questionnaires/

and since your health sucks anyway...
http://www.unusualwaystomakemoney.com/z-guinea-pigs.html

etc....

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I didn't read all 7 pages, but here are my quick thoughts.

Nothing worth it in this life comes easy. Nothing. If you want to be a rich person, then learn how to maximize the money you make and minimize the money you spend. It's much easier said than done.

The most hilarious part is that he thinks he can make a lot of money without either acquiring a skill or trade, or being fairly ambitious, or at least doing something that requires directly hustling selling things to people.

This. Sooooo much.

You misunderstood me. Never said I didn't wanted to learn a skill. I would prefer to learn a skill actully just never consistent. For example if I suffer couple yrs to learn a computer language it wouldn't matter in 10yrs. Nobody would be using the same language, I don't wanna consistently learn new things.

Here is the thing, because it's very relevant to my career. In high school (over 10 years ago), I was learning C++. C++ is still very relevant today. I learned Java early in my college career and Java is incredibly relevant today. There are other more esoteric languages such as Fortran and Cobol, where the knowledge of such earns a very nice paycheck in some niche situations. So your assumption is flawed.

If you want to be successful in life, get used to change and adaptation. Yes, it's hard, but it's well worth it.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I think it is impossible to get an easy job that is highly paid because everyone would be competing for it. Take small steps. Start with an easy, low paid job and work your way up.

A job you would immediately qualify for is night watchman. You basically sit alone in a big building and walk through it several times a night.

MBTI Type
INTJ
AALLRIGHT!!

I got some really cool jobs lined up for you!! :)

http://www.cracked.com/article_18486_the-5-miserable-vfx-jobs-that-make-movies-possible.html -- compliments of this article!

Roto artist -- It's basically tracing. For a long time. No physical effort, its a computer job, and I doubt there's more than necessary people interaction. Not the highest paying job in the world, but it fits all of the other requirements. Bonus: you made a movie come to life!

Production assistant -- Probably more people-intensive, but they'll be abusing you so no need to like them! You play fetch for them, and do things like be a lamp stand, or get coffee, or whatever they need to make their day nicer. You get the satisfaction of doing tasks you already know how to do all day, no learning involved, and simply interact with the few people you need to during filming. You'd probably get paid a biiit more for this. Not much.

Matchmove artists -- Drawing dots on a computer. for hours on end. Even if you have to learn a new computer skill, it won't be much different from the current one, just different system for doing the same thing. No people again!

Render Wrangler -- Stare. That's it! No, really. That's like all you do.

Bonus: Even if you DO get laid off, there's plenty of other studios you can apply to. The job itself won't be out of fashion, since movies WILL still be made. So there's your job security right there! Or at least as much as anyone can get.

Cons> you may have to move to get these jobs. But any data entry job is the same format with slightly different systems. There are companies whos entire jobs are simply to convert a doctor's offices' medical records into digital data so they don't have folders anymore. And going digital is never going out of style so far as I can tell. not in this lifetime. Computers are where it's at for low stress, low people impact, mindless repetitive work, and all those other perks.

VFX work is pretty much the exact opposite of what the OP wants. These people work ridiculous hours without breaks, constantly have to learn new software and techniques, and have perpetual lack of job security. And while they might make a decent wage, it's pretty unimpressive when you compare it to the hours they work. One VFX P.A. died a few years ago because he fell asleep at the wheel and crashed after working 20 hours in a row. It didn't change anyone's policy.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
VFX work is pretty much the exact opposite of what the OP wants. These people work ridiculous hours without breaks, constantly have to learn new software and techniques, and have perpetual lack of job security. And while they might make a decent wage, it's pretty unimpressive when you compare it to the hours they work. One VFX P.A. died a few years ago because he fell asleep at the wheel and crashed after working 20 hours in a row. It didn't change anyone's policy.

Well don't scare the poor OP out of trying now ;) :laugh: The point is, there's pros and cons to every job. Nothing will have all of the qualities they're seeking.. so you try to get as close as you can. I'll bet money that the OP is self-conscious on their ability (or their perception of a lack thereof) and has a low-esteem issue on their ability to adapt to a working environment. All jobs are "easy" once you learn them.

Maybe the OP isn't very ambitious in life.. but I don't think that's the case. They more sounded like they wanted to know if there was anything out there they felt they could do--and the answer is YES, there are jobs out there you can do without wanting to gouge your eyes out. Even for disabled people there are things that can be done that are low-stress and career-worthy.

I still think OP's best options would be office work for a corporation of some sort, and/or something with the computer.. Or maybe even winning over some scholarships and being a career student. :shrug: Takes research, and patience, and some detail-oriented precision.. but a career student would give them a degree in something they could use to cherry-pick jobs with.

Emerald Rain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Lighthouse keeper.

I would do that if I was looking for something easy, and if I didn't have family, or ambitions beyond living in solitude.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can be the one who helps the horses during the parades---pooper scooper guy. :smile: