User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    I?FP

Default INFPs, can you relate to the martyr stereotype?

Sorry I am posting so much.

Since discovering I am an INFP, I have learned a lot about myself and the way I make decisions and look at life.

I read somewhere that INFPs are frequently typed as "martyrs"

I just graduated from college and have been trying to figure out what direction to go with my life. I am a faithful Catholic and have been urged in my life to consider religious life. I continuously say I will do anything. I will follow the scripture teaching that in order to gain true life, we must die unto ourselves.

Basically, I have a "feeling" or "sense" (I don't know the difference these days) that I am going to become a nun eventually. Religious life is starting to look more appealing as I realize it would be nice to live in a community that would value who I am and that I can help people and live for something I am 100% faithful in. Also, the more I think about a relationship with someone, the more I feel like a freak who lives better on my own. I honestly don't know if I will be emotionally able to be happy in a marriage. Am I always idealizing that feeling of happiness? Maybe. All of this paired with my tendency to obsess over things and my desire to know what I'm doing with my life. Bad combo.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Not sure what to call it?

Any thoughts appreciated

MBTI
    yupp

when i was 9 but not sense than.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I'm not even Catholic, but a part of me has wanted to do something like that at points in my life. The whole conversion thing, plus the no sex () were kind of the sticking points, but I agree it could be a great way to express devotion and service and faith.

But I think the tendency to obsess over things can cause problems no matter what your situation.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by lapalm View Post
    I just graduated from college and have been trying to figure out what direction to go with my life. I am a faithful Catholic and have been urged in my life to consider religious life. I continuously say I will do anything. I will follow the scripture teaching that in order to gain true life, we must die unto ourselves.
    I don't think that there are hierarchies of faith. Everyone in the body of Christ has different roles, but are essentially equal in that they all have Christ. Just as the three persons of the trinity have different roles requiring them to submit to one another, but each is still God.

Just because one is devoted to their faith doesn't mean they should enter into ministry. I believe the alternate view buys into the myth of a world that is divided into the secular and religious or spiritual and material. A believer should be able to be devoted to God and have their faith influence all of their life whether they are a janitor, doctor, teacher, or a nun. I completely believe somebody can die unto themselves and be an accountant.

I considered going into ministry, but I decided I needed to spend time working a regular job and enduring the same type of struggles most people endure so that I might be able to better relate with more people and offer encouragement that comes from experience.

Whatever you do make sure that your decision is based on what will bring you joy and not on avoiding what you are afraid of.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I sometimes had thoughts when I was younger that I could become a monk in my fantasy, but I never really planned on doing so. Not dealing with the usual materialistic constraints of our world, but instead living a life of spirituality seemed attractive at some point, and didn't loose all of its attractiveness now either, although I care less about religion now than earlier (not that I was very religious before, but maybe was more willing to believe back then than now where I feel more agnostic). However it feels like a trade-off to me nowadays, since the advantages of a "normal" life, when it comes to the social aspects, seem to get traded away with it. While it seems like I will have to stay single forever anyway lol, I know already what it means to fall in love to someone, and I wouldn't want to give away the possibility to once found a family. I don't know if I will ever get into a relationship, I don't know if I will be able to lead a successfull relationship, but I know I want to try at least.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

please dont make yourself a living sacrifice, it makes no sense. i mean (lets assume that the god in your religion exists) god gave you a gift of life, so wouldnt the greatest appreciation to him about this gift of life that he gave you, be that you use and enjoy it as much as you can and do some good with it? as a nun you might feel that you do good things to other by serving their religious needs, but if you live like that, you live for other peoples lives, but waste your gift of life. if you want to put your life in a good use, better way to do that would be something like doing volunteer work for starving kids in africa or saving the rain forests, i may be bit pessimistic, but prayers dont seem to do much good about real sufferings of people. also by doing volunteer work, you wouldnt have to be a living sacrifice, but you could be a person who uses her gift of life as god intended and help earthly needs of others to help them to live happier life also.

i suggest looking at jungs view on religions, it might give you quite different view on your religion and help you find god even using your own religious believes, but you must not judge other views about god either. jung said this thing about god late in his life; "i used to believe, now i know". find out what he meant with it, and you will know too.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I agree we have the gift of life, and part of that is to experience joy and to help others. However, nuns typically do a lot of service work, actually. They aren't just sitting around feeling holy all day. They put their faith to work.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lapalm View Post
    Sorry I am posting so much.
    *looks at thread title*

lol

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    However, nuns typically do a lot of service work, actually. They aren't just sitting around feeling holy all day.
    yep, but the service is mostly religious or aimed mostly to people who go to your church or need to be converted. i dont really think that this is as necessary as getting food to starving children in africa or saving the rain forests. imo its pretty stupid to help people who already are in a position where they can survive and helping someone to make them agree you with something is pure evil. helping people with their religious problems is just helping someone who already got everything he needs to live even more comfortable, so it is pretty unnecessary compared to helping people from suffering or dying.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP

Could be a priest...if I wasen't an atheist :P