Quote Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
I'm always seeing the funny side at the wrong moment.

I had dinner last night with my ex-wife and her parents (we are very good friends, just disastrous as a couple). Her mum is having a hip operation. I think I must have misheard or misunderstood because I thought they were talking about her having an epidural for the op. Quick as a flash I heard myself asking her if she was having another baby. (She's nearly 80.) Then I heard myself suggesting she could have a water operation. (My son was a water birth, no pain control.) No-one else thought it was funny ... eeek ...

Once I was at an important business meeting in Auckland in a flash café with some very serious men in shiny suits. Suddenly the thought crossed my mind -- what if I start acting like Mr Bean! I had to pretend to sneeze to cover my laugh. I had to bite my tongue hard the whole way through to stop myself dissolving onto the floor in response to the thoughts going through my head ....
Yeh, some of my favourite moments tend to be seeing the insanity no one else sees. I've got amused by irony and silly connections in the strangest situations. And I have a strange drive to add insanity and a little risk to formal tasks. For example, my university entrance selections read something like Engineering (scholars program), Engineering (university X), Engineering (university Y), Horse Studies, Fishing Operations. For some reason I kept thinking about being a shrimp boat captain .