MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Wow, SW.

You're really aversed to Fi, aren't you?

I'm sorry.
    What are you talking about?

This post has nothing to do with my opinions of any given functions. I'm pointing out that the motivation is more important than the surface behavior, regardless of which function(s) we're talking about.

People come to the erroneous conclusion that they use all the functions because they read descriptions that say, "Te users will commonly do x, y and z" and think to themselves, "But I do x, y and z sometimes, so I must be using Te when I do that!"

But you're not, because the same actions can carry completely different motivations when performed by different people. The broader point here is that functional attitudes are motivational value systems, not descriptions of observable surface behavior.

I'm a total loss as to how you interpreted this as anti-Fi, but then, I guess taking offense where none is intended is what INFPs do best.

For another example unrelated to Fi--

Te people will commonly take leadership roles in order to get situations under control and move toward the desired external world goal. But taking control of a situation is not automatically Te--any function might lead to a decision to take control of a situation; the function used is determined by why you did this, not what you did.

So Fe might motivate someone to take control of a situation because the Fe user thinks it's his social obligation to do so.

Or Ti might motivate someone to take control of a situation because the Ti user thinks it would be inconsistent for him not to.

Or Se might motivate someone to take control of a situation because the Se user thinks that's the best way to make an immediate impact and that he has a gut feeling that it's what he should do.

etc. etc...."I took control of the situation to get a goal completed" =/= "I used Te"; when discussing functions we're referring to motivation, not behavior.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wow, SW.
    You're really aversed to Fi, aren't you?
    I'm sorry.
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with SW on this one, I have no idea why you jumped to that conclusion.
    What he said made a lot of sense... at core, which ever function is driving the others functions is... well... in charge.
    It doesn't matter which one it is, nor does it mean anyone is being adverse to anything. It's just a general rational principle.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    What are you talking about?

This post has nothing to do with my opinions of any given functions. I'm pointing out that the motivation is more important than the surface behavior, regardless of which function(s) we're talking about.

People come to the erroneous conclusion that they use all the functions because they read descriptions that say, "Te users will commonly do x, y and z" and think to themselves, "But I do x, y and z sometimes, so I must be using Te when I do that!"

But you're not, because the same actions can carry completely different motivations when performed by different people. The broader point here is that functional attitudes are motivational value systems, not descriptions of observable surface behavior.

I'm a total loss as to how you interpreted this as anti-Fi, but then, I guess taking offense where none is intended is what INFPs do best.
    I think what she wanted to know is: why are you sound so angry in your posts? They almost all have a strong sense of hostility and condescension. Do you think no one will take you seriously if you just say what you think without veiled insults? Do you really think that a bunch of INFP's (whom you seem to really dislike) don't see that?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Also agree with OA. (typical)

I also think that extreme Fe can feel oddly impersonal sometimes (despite being warm). One starts to wonder "does this person value me for me, or am just filling the 'friend' slot for this person?" and "is this person having lunch with me because they WANT to, or is it a dreary obligation to them on some level?"

Since I grew up in the South (which is more extraverted and Fe-based, socially) moving to the Northeast was kind of a shock. On the one hand, people here are less friendly and outgoing, but conversely when they seem friendly and interested it's usually because they actually are.

(Didn't see SW's post as hostile, just impersonally blunt in direct T fashion. I'd say PeaceBaby was using Fe, but it was just being used to back Fi. PeaceBaby wasn't acting like an Fe-dom motivationally, though, I agree.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

I'm a total loss as to how you interpreted this as anti-Fi...
    It's not just that post. You have a history, sir.

But, oh well.

I'll stop provoking you before it becomes too much and you have to blacklist me or something. Or worse: viciously attack other INFPs without warrant.

...but then, I guess taking offense where none is intended is what INFPs do best.
    Somehow, I knew you were going to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with SW on this one, I have no idea why you jumped to that conclusion.
    It's all in the TONE!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I think what she wanted to know is: why are you sound so angry in your posts? They almost all have a strong sense of hostility and condescension. Do you think no one will take you seriously if you just say what you think without veiled insults? Do you really think that a bunch of INFP's (whom you seem to really dislike) don't see that?
    Oh gee...
    Well, this is interesting.

The thread topic is "Fe blindness; Fi shortsightedness" ... not "Why does SW sound grumpy all the time and thus probably dislike Fi?"

Regardless of how someone thinks SW or other posters sound, if we could keep on topic instead of making things unnecessarily personal...? This sort of question could be handled more appropriately in PM.

(And yeah, I'm wearing my Fe hat here.)

It's all in the TONE!
    What, like a G-sharp vs an A-flat?

Actually, rereading SW's first post, it was absolutely T-style neutral.
    Tone seems determined by listener as well as by speaker.
    That's why I prefer we go back to topic, thanks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Don't feed him.

These conversations on Fe and Fi go so well until some ENTP shows up.

This is exactly what they want. Responses are usually along the lines of: "I'm not angry! Don't tell me how I feel! NFPs always ___ [whine about NFPs]. I know everything about everything, but you're just too emotional for this conversation to be productive!".

Now back to the discussion, which was interesting.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I think what she wanted to know is: why are you sound so angry in your posts?
    I'm genuinely surprised that anyone found my posts in this thread to be angry or hostile.

They almost all have a strong sense of hostility and condescension. Do you think no one will take you seriously if you just say what you think without veiled insults? Do you really think that a bunch of INFP's (whom you seem to really dislike) don't see that?
    On the contrary; I think INFPs are the only people who see that, because it's really not there.

I'm really not kidding about that. You people really do attach emotional motivation to everything when none exists, and often it seems like you go out of your way to take offense even when none was intended whatsoever.

I posted in this thread to share information, not attack anyone.

Note that the only non-INFP in the thread didn't see anything offensive or hostile about my post either...!

P.S.,

My roommate and best friend is an INFP. I don't hate you; in fact, the type I dislike most is your complete opposite (ESTJ.) I do get pretty annoyed with your constant insistence on reading hostility into everything, though.

It's all in the TONE!
    Don't assume that the way you would be feeling if you used my tone is the way I am feeling when I use it. There have been a million threads about this and it's pretty commonly accepted by numerous people across lots of different types that INFPs routinely project their own emotional motivations onto everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Don't feed him.

This is exactly what they want. Responses are usually along the lines of: "I'm not angry! Don't tell me how I feel! NFPs always ___ [whine about NFPs]. I know everything about everything, but you're just too emotional for this conversation to be productive!".

This is directly relevant in a thread about Fi short-sightedness. Also, ENTPs are not by any means the only people who are irritated by routine INFP insistence that they know everything about our feelings. We're just the ones who most commonly make a point of arguing it with you.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Don't feed him.

Sorry OA. I just get tired of the constant yapping. It gets really old.
    but you? You're wise.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm genuinely surprised that anyone found my posts in this thread to be angry or hostile.

On the contrary; I think INFPs are the only people who see that, because it's really not there.

I'm really not kidding about that. You people really do attach emotional motivation to everything when none exists, and often it seems like you go out of your way to take offense even when none was intended whatsoever.

I posted in this thread to share information, not attack anyone.

Note that the only non-INFP in the thread didn't see anything offensive or hostile about my post either...!
    I know. I was referring to many of your posts in the past, as much as this one. I guess I just see you as a bit of an asshole. I bet that makes a fucked up person like you smile, huh?
    But I'll defer to Jennifer, and drop it. Peace, conflicted bro.