Default intuition and listening skills

do you think they're related?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Yes. The more iNtuitive you are, the more likely you are to be daydreaming when a person tries to talk to you. :P
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes, but I don't think intuition causes you to be a good listener. I think being a good listener causes you to be intuitive.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Yes, but I don't think intuition causes you to be a good listener. I think being a good listener causes you to be intuitive.
    I think this is totally true

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by whimsical View Post
    I think this is totally true
    OMG me too!

Fi makes you a good listener to those who share you values. You can actually give an echo that is related to how someone feels agent towards his situation. You may catalyze motivations like euphoria, courage, rage. They would call you empathic, even if you don't understand a thing. You have touched them, they love you.

Fe makes you a good listener to those who feel like they usually can not be themselves, can not confront their doubts, because they have to pretend to be strong. You cant produce the illusion that you feel with them, but you can make them recall who they are. You could make room for their Fi, by creating a friendly Fe space, albeit the space you create is meant for a different purpose: You want to make room so the vision of character becomes more clearly, especially if Ni is your neighbor function, you may rather dim down strong emotions, if they cause/express projections. What would be the most authentic move?

Encouraging people to be authentic is often like leaving them alone, especially if they have no chance of getting close to an authentic vision about them selves. Therefore you are not so likely to get the title of an empath (Someone who makes people feel good). But a lot of people will be thankful that they can be themselves around you.

Both sensing and extroverted intuition could try to put an emphasis on the current moment. Be more practical, focus only on the very next steps, you can do it. (whatever you feel like)

Intuition means, that you may understand what they are talking about. So yeah, if a person is in doubt about their character and way, then Intuition (but most of all experience and depth) is needed. If someone is just desperate about how he is being mobbed in school, a sensing type (of average depth/experience) might do a good job.

if you are introverted and have a wrong idea about your functions, as is common in mbti, this will not make sense to you.
    if you are enfj you may relate to what i said about Fe, but you are likely able to add some superficial pretentious but functional motivational skills as well.
    but enfp are the best natural motivators/catalysts, unless your Fi is so unconscious, that they start to judge you for not being motivated enough in the first place

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Yes. The more iNtuitive you are, the more likely you are to be daydreaming when a person tries to talk to you. :P
    haha yes, that's how I would see it too lol. I try to be a good listener, but sometimes I am far away in my own head.

Then again my creative writing teacher, when teaching us about dialogue said that it is a very rare conversation indeed in which both parties are paying equal attention to the dialogue in question.

Most people are either relating the conversation to situations in their past, or are already leaping ahead ignoring the rest of the issue with a plan ready to present at the end of the so called good listening question.

She said, and I agree, that people can appear to be good listeners, but in reality you can't see what is going on in their head or whether the person needing to be listened to, actually holds 100% of the other persons attention.

People think I am a good listener, but I spazz out often, they just don't know about it.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

in my head i am not where i am supposed to be, not necessarily because i am away, but because i try to take people apart. (NiFe)
    that's often not what they are doing (to themselves), when sharing.

Senior Member Valhallahereicome's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w7
    Socionics
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    People think I am a good listener, but I spazz out often, they just don't know about it.
    Ahhhh yes, I definitely do this too and then feel majorly guilty.

I think intuition definitely helps me to be a good listener, although the idea that it's the other way around is interesting. Of course it's best when feeling is involved as well, but I've definitely had conversations where I wasn't feeling with the other person and yet I could understand their mindset and what they wanted me to say next, and I could understand how best to phrase what I actually planned to say in order to achieve the desired effect.

Not sure if that's intuition exactly, but I think it is?

ETA: Hmm, never mind, that sounds like something a sensor would be able to do as well. Can anyone clarify the difference between how sensing and intuition help your listening skills?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

While people are talking, my N is taking the kernel of what they are saying and expanding it into a thousand possibilities, some of which may be related to what they are saying and some of which not. I take a ton of notes when people are talking, but I'm not writing down what they are saying, but instead writing down what my N is throwing out based on what they are saying.

I think that is generally why there is confusion when I open my mouth after someone else is done talking.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM