• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Evolutionary Psychology vs. Feminism/Modern Psychology

sockratees

MBTI Type
INTP
I have looked into both in my private time, and I have come my own conclusion that evolutionary psychology will, in time, do away with both feminist ideals and modern psychology, or at least an almost complete re-working of the latter.

In short, the issue with the approach of modern psychology is that it attempts to solve the riddles of the mind by forgetting to emphasize one crucial aspect, and that is that human beings are mammals of the primate order, of the family Hominidae, and a subspecies of H. sapiens. We are not divorced from our nature, we are our nature, and it is only by recognizing this truth can hope to acquire the tools to help us to truly understand ourselves as people, as partners, as spouses, parents, as a community, etc...

There is a tremendous misconception regarding the distinction of what encompasses the world of the conscious and the subconscious, specifically how much of these decisions are premeditated and what percentage is purely instinctual. This reasoning error has been found in much of modern feminism, which demonizes male behavior without taking into account both, and I stress BOTH, of our past survival histories as one species. The way males are portrayed and singled out as the sole perpetrators of some kind of unforgivable, innately harbored evil is simply inaccurate and biologically unfounded.

While it is true that much of who we are as people is cultural, it is absolutely inaccurate that human beings are simply blank slates to be programmed, as we in fact are pre-programmed to a certain degree through natural selection. Psychology and social studies appear somewhat blinded to this scientific fact of prefabrication (genes and evolution).

It appears as if the educated community has no qualms about labeling and categorizing animal behavior and believing their origin to be naturally derived, naturally inherited over a long periods of time through natural means, but when it comes to analyzing human behavior the same community shies away from following its own paradigm, almost treating this branch of science as if it were non-existent. Similar to the ideological battle Darwin faced during his own lifetime, today we are faced with battling prejudice and fighting against ideas perpetuated by people who wish to block the sun with their finger and call it night, people who use their academic influence to inject their own bias into scientific research in order to validate a fictitious reality, an act which ultimately benefits no one and, if anything, is a disservice to the community as a whole.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have looked into both in my private time, and I have come my own conclusion that evolutionary psychology will, in time, do away with both feminist ideals and modern psychology, or at least an almost complete re-working of the latter.

Really I can honestly say that seems highly unlikely. If I was to speculate about the future of cognitive research, my money would be on the development of neuroscience combined with advances in brain scanning; in particular miniaturisation. The transformation from soft to hard science.

In short, the issue with the approach of modern psychology is that it attempts to solve the riddles of the mind by forgetting to emphasize one crucial aspect, and that is that human beings are mammals of the primate order, of the family Hominidae, and a subspecies of H. sapiens. We are not divorced from our nature, we are our nature, and it is only by recognizing this truth can hope to acquire the tools to help us to truly understand ourselves as people, as partners, as spouses, parents, as a community, etc...

This is a completely wrong. In order for modern psychology to ignore our psychological evolutionary history we would have to know something about it. Unfortunately none of our ancestors are alive to compare against. Our closest living relatives are the chimpanzees; at 7 to 13 million years. The fact of the matter is that we are still piecing together our evolutionary history, and regrettably time really does wash away all.

While it is true that much of who we are as people is cultural, it is absolutely inaccurate that human beings are simply blank slates to be programmed, as we in fact are pre-programmed to a certain degree through natural selection. Psychology and social studies appear somewhat blinded to this scientific fact of prefabrication (genes and evolution).

Again as I stated above we lack the insight into our evolutionary past (beyond the speculative) in order for it to be particularly useful. As for genetics, while I do believe that it will have a profound impact on our understanding of the human brain, it is still in its infancy. It will take time before its full worth is known. Though I have read a few psychological/genetic papers.

It appears as if the educated community has no qualms about labeling and categorizing animal behavior and believing their origin to be naturally derived, naturally inherited over a long periods of time through natural means, but when it comes to analyzing human behavior the same community shies away from following its own paradigm, almost treating this branch of science as if it were non-existent.

I find this confusing. One because scientists regularly test, and change the behaviour of animals. Two because their behaviour is often tied into the environment (Change the environment, change the behaviour). And lastly the tests undertaken on various animals really isn't that different then those administered to humans, the biggest change being complexity. Though that has more to do with controlling variables.

There is a tremendous misconception regarding the distinction of what encompasses the world of the conscious and the subconscious, specifically how much of these decisions are premeditated and what percentage is purely instinctual. This reasoning error has been found in much of modern feminism, which demonizes male behavior without taking into account both, and I stress BOTH, of our past survival histories as one species. The way males are portrayed and singled out as the sole perpetrators of some kind of unforgivable, innately harbored evil is simply inaccurate and biologically unfounded.

Similar to the ideological battle Darwin faced during his own lifetime, today we are faced with battling prejudice and fighting against ideas perpetuated by people who wish to block the sun with their finger and call it night, people who use their academic influence to inject their own bias into scientific research in order to validate a fictitious reality, an act which ultimately benefits no one and, if anything, is a disservice to the community as a whole.

It is important extremely important when trying to convince people online of something to never, ever under any circumstance whatsoever play the esoteric victim card. It will immediately make people eye roll at whatever point you where making.