User Tag List

Thread: Book referrals : Brushing up on the Basics

8w9 sp/sx

Default Book referrals : Brushing up on the Basics

I want to re-learn about chemistry and matters concerning electricity and magnetism, etc. Any books that are effective in said areas?
    I N V I C T U S

Don't know which books. I can give you a start on the basics though.

Kirchoff's Laws
    - Sum of voltage around any closed path adds to zero. (or sum of the voltages between any two points adds to the difference between them)
    - Current into a node(intersection/point)=Current out of it (otherwise charge would build up at that point)

Electricity is driven by an electric field or a difference in potential between two points. Voltage is defined as the potential difference. Current is the rate at which charge flows.

There are also good methods for solving simple circuits like nodal analysis and mesh analysis. These just involve calculating the current into each node or the voltage across each section, then solving simultaneous equations for the relevant Kirchoff Law.

Other things to know: V=IR, I=C dV/dt, V=L dI/dt (Laplace transforms are useful to learn)

Magnetism and Electric Fields

Maxwell's Equations
    Gauss's Law: Sum of Electric Flux through a closed surface=sum of the charge enclosed by it/permittivity (Flux is a measure of Field x Area)
    Gauss's Magnetism Law: Sum of Magnetic flux through a closed surface = 0 (this is not completely true, but unless you are dealing with magnetic monopoles which were only just found experimentally, it's good enough)
    Faraday's law of induction:
    AmpŔre's circuital law:

tiredness... will continue later when brain returns (if I remember).
    Freude, sch├Âner G├Âtterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Br├╝der, Wo dein sanfter Fl├╝gel weilt.

Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar

Chemistry is not one of my strong points.

When my limited exposure it was preferential to a really old chemistry book with a preference to practical applications and experiments over theory.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    I'm impressed that you gave a decent summary (of electrostatics at least) with minimal use of calculus...and no use of multi-variable calculus.

Care to give an Electricity an Magnetism tutorial in Physics Enthusiast group?

I can augment with math tutorials of vector/scalar fields, gradient, divergence, curl, etc., unless you are Faraday-like enough to avoid most of the math.

Which reminds me...

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Any books that are effective in said areas?
    Faraday's Chemical History of a Candle is highly recommended by many. I bought it recently, and when I have the time, I plan to read it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield