User Tag List

12 Last

Default I have a questions. no?

How long a drop would be needed to break the neck of a 155lb male? It can't be too long because he doesn't want his head to pop off, it just needs to be long enough to cause the neck to break and cause paralysis. A standard noose of nylon rope would be used. I don't just want an answer, though, I want to know how you figure it out. Thanks!
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

WTF kind of question is that?

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post

WTF kind of question is that?
    My thoughts exactly.

As to the OP. Why the rope? People break their necks all the time jumping head first to a shallow pool. This has nothing to do with the length of the fall, it's all about the misfortunate contact between the ground and the head.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Sounds like a question for some Emo, "I want to kill myself" forum. Not here.

I don't think I need to mention the stupidity of anyone answering the original question, with actual equations, on a public forum.

:rolli:

I was just curious if there was some kind of formula used to determine how long one must fall before the rope actually can break the neck. I was watching a documentary once about lynchings and it seems the redneck kkkers just beat the crap out of the victims, tied a rope around the neck and let the guy suffocate. But the goal of legal hangings seemed to be the paralysis or instant death of the victim(criminal). Anyway, I know that if you just put a noose around your neck and fall two feet that it won't break your neck, so I was wondering how they figured out how to hang someone without making them suffer(suffocate) and how much of a drop would be necessary to decapitate. No one else thinks of this stuff? If there was another way to ask the question I would, but I can't think of it.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Sounds like a question for some Emo, "I want to kill myself" forum. Not here.

I don't think I need to mention the stupidity of anyone answering the original question, with actual equations, on a public forum.

:rolli:

I don't think it would be stupid to answer the question with actual equations. If it were an unanswerable question I wouldn't have posted it.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I was just curious if there was some kind of formula used to determine how long one must fall before the rope actually can break the neck. I was watching a documentary once about lynchings and it seems the redneck kkkers just beat the crap out of the victims, tied a rope around the neck and let the guy suffocate. But the goal of legal hangings seemed to be the paralysis or instant death of the victim(criminal). Anyway, I know that if you just put a noose around your neck and fall two feet that it won't break your neck, so I was wondering how they figured out how to hang someone without making them suffer(suffocate) and how much of a drop would be necessary to decapitate. No one else thinks of this stuff? If there was another way to ask the question I would, but I can't think of it.
    Well yeah, that's how you should have started the OP. Because the one you have now seems like you're asking the forum the know-how to help yourself or your "friend" become paralyzed.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I don't think it would be stupid to answer the question with actual equations. If it were an unanswerable question I wouldn't have posted it.
    If you had made the OP in the form of just figuring out the equation, maybe that would be fine.

But you make it sound like you want a formula for suicide, or to be paralyzed.

I doubt anyone here would want to be involved in something like that.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../0116table.jpg

Thanks JeffJones, almost exactly what I was looking for.