• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

William Shakespeare

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I want a thread that will produce unanimous agreement. If that's ever gonna happen, it's with this post.

INFP

There! Go ahead! Dissent all you will!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Do people see INFP as like, the default, or something...?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want a thread that will produce unanimous agreement. If that's ever gonna happen, it's with this post.

INFP

There! Go ahead! Dissent all you will!

I'm guessing you only want a unanimous agreement if it concurs with your own?

I've seen him listed as an example of and INFP and an INTP. I would tend to claim him as one of my clan, naturally. But I have it on good authority than he never took the test. :)

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm guessing you only want a unanimous agreement if it concurs with your own?

I've seen him listed as an example of and INFP and an INTP. I would tend to claim him as one of my clan, naturally. But I have it on good authority than he never took the test. :)

I've never seen him listed as an INTP. Evidence this!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never seen him listed as an INTP. Evidence this!

Au contraire, my dear. You seen it at least once - see above.
I can't remember where I read this now, possibly Kiersey? Google it.

Why should I provide evidence when you have supplied none?

We don't know much about his personal life (other than that he abandoned his wife and was probably gay). We have to rely on his work.
I think he is too cynical to be an NF. He doesn't believe in happy ever afters.
I could go but, in the end, does it really matter?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Au contraire, my dear. You seen it at least once - see above.
I can't remember where I read this now, possibly Kiersey? Google it.

Why should I provide evidence when you have supplied none?

We don't know much about his personal life (other than that he abandoned his wife and was probably gay). We have to rely on his work.
I think he is too cynical to be an NF. He doesn't believe in happy ever afters.
I could go but, in the end, does it really matter?

I shouldn't have to give a link for my opinion; you claim that he was externally typed as INTP; therefore you should evidence this.

WS did not "abandon" his wife. Like a great deal of husbands, he worked away from home for some of the time. You say he was "probably gay". Yet you also say that we hardly know anything about him! How have you decided that he is gay?

Here's some links suggesting that WS is an INFP:
INFP Profile
INFP (Dreamer) Personality Type - Jungian

Two of the most prominent celeb typing sites. Now the onus is on you to substantiate your claim.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I shouldn't have to give a link for my opinion; you claim that he was externally typed as INTP; therefore you should evidence this.

WS did not "abandon" his wife. Like a great deal of husbands, he worked away from home for some of the time. You say he was "probably gay". Yet you also say that we hardly know anything about him! How have you decided that he is gay?

Here's some links suggesting that WS is an INFP:
INFP Profile
INFP (Dreamer) Personality Type - Jungian

Two of the most prominent celeb typing sites. Now the onus is on you to substantiate your claim.
crikey - are you for real?
I haven't decided anything. Nor do I need to substantiate anything. The gay thing is pretty well documented though. Largely based on some of the sonnets. Everybody wants Will in their camp! :)

Please Understand Me II - Ch 6, p166
"..harmonic thought and speech requires selecting and arranging words for the way they sound, a skill not usually acquired by Rationals, though some (like Shakespeare) can become masters of it when they take it as their province".
I was surprised too....
You can't force a consensus, this is all just idle speculation.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
crikey - are you for real?
I haven't decided anything. Nor do I need to substantiate anything. The gay thing is pretty well documented though. Largely based on some of the sonnets. Everybody wants Will in their camp! :)

Please Understand Me II - Ch 6, p166
"..harmonic thought and speech requires selecting and arranging words for the way they sound, a skill not usually acquired by Rationals, though some (like Shakespeare) can become masters of it when they take it as their province".
I was surprised too....
You can't force a consensus, this is all just idle speculation.

The gay thing is a theory, just as there is a Catholic theory, and the theory that someone else wrote his works, created partially as we know so little about him. With the sonnets, it is not clear whether WS was adopting a different voice when he refers to the boy...sonnets do not have to be autobiographical, and surely as one of the world's greatest writers would WS not be more than capable of doing this?

I think that most people would agree that WS was an INFP, just from reading his works.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well I've never seen him typed as that before, so perhaps you'd like to qualify your assertion?

Okie dokie.

I will give you that his work sounds INFP-ish by modern standards, but then again, one can look at the way things were generally written back then... that was just the style, especially if he was writing particularly for an audience. Also, consider how writing plays -- and consequently, making movies -- is done. He was quite prolific, which is generally not considered an INP thing, and a lot of the genius is rather in the meter than in the actual story, which seems Ti-ish to me. If we go on to consider, not that he didn't not make his plays, but it's quite likely that he took other plays and reworked them to suit him and the players and the audience, then he was not working with a closed-system at all, and more working as a showman.

The problem with saying "I think that most people would agree that WS was an INFP, just from reading his works" is that the point is not his works, (or even his supposed works) but how he came about them...

I suppose INTP works too, but I think Ne over Ti works better. Also, in that case, Fe would be higher up the ladder, which I think if he was going to pull off writing entertainment, would be damned useful.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Do people see INFP as like, the default, or something...?

The default type of any celebrity typing on the forum is INxx, xNxx, or at least Ixxx. It could be because INs are more likely to gravitate to other legit INs or see shared qualities in other types and mistype as their type. Or other stuff.

It's why I gave up the celebrity typing, too biased.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP, according to Keirsey, and I agree with him.

His works were more cynical than romantic.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
INFP. Judging by his works, I don't think that anyone but an NF could've had that tragic understanding of humanity ;) (seriously, though, I'm not kidding in the least)

I heard someone say that WS was too cynical in his lack of faith in everlasting love to be an NF. Why can't NF's be like that? I'm definitely going through a phase in my life where I'm having a hard time believing that true love exists outside the fairy tales. If someone fails to find love in their life, they'll prone to believing it doesn't exist, NF or not. NF's aren't immune to the grasp of cynicism. In fact, WS may've just been bitter about his own problems that he picked up a cynical attitude as a coping mechanism. I don't have any friends in my life, and I know that when I'm reminiscing on being a loner, it feels good to mope, feel sorry for myself, and say things like "love and friendship is BS, it doesn't exist," though I really know in my heart that I don't actually believe those things when I say them.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Only an NF could write Hamlet. It deals with so many complex emotions. If WS was such an ENTP 'showman' then why was he not actually up there on the stage showing off? I still think INFP.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I bet some T's are going to think I'm some racist typing asshole for what I said about NF's. Anything's possible, I just think it's highly highly unlikely for anyone but an NF to have come up with the brilliant tragedies WS did.

I think it's pretty narrow-minded to assume that NF's have romanticize. We're much more capable than anyone else at pulling those heart-wrenching tales.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If WS was such an ENTP 'showman' then why was he not actually up there on the stage showing off?

This is why I kept the N. He was primarily an entertainer, but he was content not doing it directly. ENPs can be pretty introverted.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The gay thing is a theory, just as there is a Catholic theory, and the theory that someone else wrote his works, created partially as we know so little about him. With the sonnets, it is not clear whether WS was adopting a different voice when he refers to the boy...sonnets do not have to be autobiographical, and surely as one of the world's greatest writers would WS not be more than capable of doing this?

I think that most people would agree that WS was an INFP, just from reading his works.

You are embarrassing yourself now.
I can't believe you care this much. MBTI is also, just a theory after all....

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Why does it have to mean that someone 'cares too much' if they're just defending their opinion? :huh: