• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Breaking Bad

Nicodemus

[...] he is either a sociopath or a psychopath. (Psychopath being the preferable assumption.)
'Sociopath' and 'psychopath' mean very much the same thing. If we were to ascribe medical conditions to the characters, I think Todd would be eligible for a mild psychopath label. To his credit, though, he is not cruel for no reason. He does what he deems necessary; thus he can spare Skyler, whereas he needs to remove Jesse's remaining link to hope.

ISTP, of course.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
ISTP fo shizzle.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I am not mistaken psychopaths are born and sociopaths are made (due to environmental circumstances).

Nico's right insofar as anyone has a clue what they're talking about with respect to this subject.

There is no official definition of the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath, and some say that the terms are largely interchangeable. In fact, the The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) lists both psychopathy and sociopathy under the heading of Antisocial Personalities. Both psychopaths and sociopaths engage in similar actions and tend to have similar characteristics. The idea of psychopathy is older than that of sociopathy, and has a more defined means of diagnosis. Some differentiate between these conditions based on their proposed causes, but others disagree with this method, as the causes of both conditions are not definitively known. Additionally, both of these conditions are generally considered to be different from psychosis and Anti-Social Personality Disorder (ASPD), though these terms are sometimes associated with them.

Source

R

Riva

Nico's right insofar as anyone has a clue what they're talking about with respect to this subject.

I was cluelessly referring to the causes.

Some differentiate between these conditions based on their proposed causes, but others disagree with this method,

^ Quoted from your own post. The beliefs seemed split; and neither one of the beliefs are universally accepted.

Nicodemus

If I am not mistaken psychopaths are born and sociopaths are made (due to environmental circumstances).
Amounting to pretty much the same thing. Why, then, would it be preferable if he were a psychopath?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was cluelessly referring to the causes.

I don't think that he made any claims regarding cause, just that the terms are interchangeable, as oppose to the hard, fast distinction you appeared to be subscribing to. Speaking just in terms of the original discussion regarding definition, his statement was more accurate--the two diagnoses are effectively interchangeable.

You also left off this part when quoting my source, btw:

as the causes of both conditions are not definitively known

R

Riva

Amounting to pretty much the same thing. Why, then, would it be preferable if he were a psychopath?

Probable*

It doesn't amount to the same thing at all.

The symptoms are probably the same but the causes aren't.

You also left off this part when quoting my source, btw:

as the causes of both conditions are not definitively known

I didn't leave it behind to mislead. I quoted the part in which others disagree.

Nicodemus

Probable*
That makes sense (although, going by the proposed difference between the terms and what we know of Todd's family, I would disagree). I only quoted you because I thought you had your concepts mixed up, giving psychopathy some kind of moral benefit unknown to the rest of us.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Todd is absolutely amoral IMO. He's completely motivated by self-interest. Guilt/regret are not in his vocabulary. He respects Walt (as his own self-interest is only exceeded by Walt's) and knows Walt's power which is why he spared him and then didn't kill Skyler, I think. That's established in the scene a few episodes ago where he's describing the train heist to his uncle. He does not respect Jesse (who cries when describing things Todd is proud of, like killing the kid- did you see his face when Jesse talked about that in his confession video?) and so had no such reason not to kill what'sherface at the end of last episode.

I kind of see Todd as the young kid trying to impress his partners. I honestly see him as more of a follower, as he doesn't seem to have much motivation behind his actions other than to win the admiration of either Walt or his Uncle. The more I think about him, the more I just see him as coldly rational, obedient, and appears to lack a genuine sense of empathy (and that's almost entirely assumed, as he does at least appear to utilize common niceties, even though what appears to be half-heartedly, it's not like he does so for any sense of personal fulfillment). Even with killing the kid, he was technically right in that no one was supposed to know the train was being ripped off, and from a logical perspective, all his actions make sense. I think there's some amount of good to Todd's character, despite how aloof and eccentric he appears-- He's never killed anyone with a purpose behind it.

As far as labeling him a full blown sociopath, I don't really see anything that he himself is looking to directly benefit from any of this besides what appears to be fulfilling a need for praise and a sense of belonging -- About the only thing we know Todd himself wants independent of anything or anyone else is a romantic relationship with Lydia, and even then it's only implied (although glaringly obvious).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
'Sociopath' and 'psychopath' mean very much the same thing. If we were to ascribe medical conditions to the characters, I think Todd would be eligible for a mild psychopath label. To his credit, though, he is not cruel for no reason. He does what he deems necessary; thus he can spare Skyler, whereas he needs to remove Jesse's remaining link to hope.

ISTP, of course.

he was a bit creepy smiley watching jesse describe how he just shot that kid out of the blue.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Second half of season 5:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Although I am taking a forum break, I did want to put some thoughts down here before the series ender. I've been avoiding any spoilers like the plague, but I have my own predictions too and want to try to get them out and see how the series goes in relation to what I imagine could happen.

Please don't read if you don't want to follow my spoiler-ish train of thought on where I imagine the series ender could go, and I've tried to put enough blah blah blah preamble text in here so that it doesn't show any of the spoiler itself in the news feed:

R

Riva

^ this week's episode's ending was really nice. Because that is where walt finally decided to take action against what has been plaguing him for the longest period of time; his old crush and his old best friend. Also loved the music they played at the end. Don't think it has been played before in the entire series.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Although I am taking a forum break, I did want to put some thoughts down here before the series ender. I've been avoiding any spoilers like the plague, but I have my own predictions too and want to try to get them out and see how the series goes in relation to what I imagine could happen.

Please don't read if you don't want to follow my spoiler-ish train of thought on where I imagine the series ender could go, and I've tried to put enough blah blah blah preamble text in here so that it doesn't show any of the spoiler itself in the news feed:

yeah but Gus wasn't dying of cancer. this isn't a new beginning for walt, it's the end.
also, mike is intelligent, todd is just dumb. not comparable.

Nicodemus

I like and would really like to see this 'The Wire' ending happening, but I expect Walt is going to go out in a blaze of glory. His revenge, in contrast to Gus', involves only three people, of which only Jack should pose a slight problem. After that, Walt has nothing to live for anymore. I doubt money alone will do it for him. And there is the ever-present cancer. The fact that he and his face are now known by the general public also kind of stands in the way of him filling Gus' role; he would have to stay in the shadows for a long time to come.

also, mike is intelligent, todd is just dumb. not comparable.
Todd is not dumb at all. Whatever gave you that idea?

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Walter White: INTJ 5w6 (he says he's a 6 doing it all for his family, but that's just ancillary. His real motive is classic 5 self-actualization)
Skylar White: ESFJ 3w2 (I see no evidence for intuition. She's focused on keeping up appearances, and she has no abstract interests; she worked as an accountant and liked it)
Walter "Flynn" White jr: ISFP 9w1 (An N would not be so excited about a new car. A T would have known his Dad was a drug lord)
Jesse Pinkman: ESFP 7w6 (He throws parties when he's depressed. Only an ESFP, lol)
Hank Schrader: ESTP 7w8 (His fun-loving side is stronger than his dominating side when we see him in his natural state at the beginning of the series. Later events brought out the 8. He arguably changed to an 8w7 in the second half of season 5)
Marie Schrader: ESFP 6w7 (caught between a desire for spontaneity and a desire for security, like Jesse. Unlike Jesse, security wins)
Gus Fring: INTP 6w5 (a cautious man, who doesn't let on with his thinking - ti. He's also pretty laid back and unflappable. He looks anal because he's a 6, not because he's a J)
Saul Goodman: ENTP 7w6 (obvious. The 6 comes out in his new desire to live a simple life)
Mike Ehrmantraut: ISTJ 6w5 (obvious)
Lydia Rodarte-Quayle: ISFJ 6w5 (This character is funny because her personality is as far from Drug Lord as you can get)
Todd Alquist: ESFJ 2w3 (This character is funny because his personality is as far from Hitman as you can get)
Uncle Jack: ESTP 8w7 (Obvious - he's Darth Hank)
Gale Boetticher: INTP 7w6 (Obvious)

Interesting that 6 popped up so much - seems everyone on this show is looking for some security.

S

Stansmith

He's a phobic Six who got a huge 3-boner a third of a way through the series. Even the most loyal, virtuous of Sixes have underlying, repressed motives and desires. They're not totally altruistic.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hubris does not a 3 make. He's a 5 who's cancer caused him to grow in the direction of 8. Ironically, he became a psychologically healthier individual, but then he took it way too far...