User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I'm pretty sure Coltrane was INFJ; Not sure how he could be typed as an ISFP.

Also, I've read Victor Bockris' Transformer and Lou Reed came across as either an INTJ or ENTJ. He was too calculated, self assured and controlling for me to think INTP.

Fom the interviews I've seen (and read), the man has not even a basic grasp of extraverted feeling, i.e. He's a total dick, and proud of it.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

all your adjectives for lou reed seem to fit intp more than intj. i could maybe see entj, but it seems more of a struggle. he's a 5w4 too, i'm guessing? he still wrote songs like i'll be your mirror, which seems out-of-touch with entj.

i read the book "uptight" and it was a velvet underground book. do you agree that john cale is probably an infj?

coltrane as infj, his personality does seem like he could easily be infj, 4w5, but his music seems unfathomable for me as infj music. but i definitely need to give this some serious thought.

brainheart

I'm not getting this jazz musicians as XNXXs bit. ISTP is supposed to be jazz central, it would seem. According to Lenore Thomson, ISTP musicians have a need to "recognize the underlying structure of music, the way it takes shape in an unfolding pattern. This kind of perceptual learning ultimately trains the ability to improvise. Once ISTP musicians grasp the internal structure of a song, they're free to experiment with its possibilities..."

Jazz is improvisation. But I'm also exceedingly tired of this whole typing of most musicians as Ns, as you may know. What so many see as intuiting is often in actuality a good ear, which has to do with keen observation, not the connection of potential possibilities. Not only that, creativity is often expressed by the tertiary function, which in ISXPs is Ni. So I can see how Intuiting-types would pick up on the intuitive aspect of ISXP creations and declare them as N-types.

I'm not saying that there aren't any XNXX musicians. I'm saying that I don't believe they are the vast majority as you all seem to think.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

what you say is very possible. do you have any typings that you feel pretty confident about?

also, for starters, we do have miles listed as a probable isfp. right now the extent of our guesses, it seems to me, have been miles isfp, coltrane infj, bird infp, and louis armstrong as esfp. that's not exactly an extensive list. the other jazz typings i have seen are jaco pastorious as entp and i'd guess john mclaughlin is an infj.

also, the largest songwriting/musician section in my overall list IS isfp. i just don't happen to like what they produce very much, as a whole. it's not surprising that N folks like N musicians and S folk like a lot of S musicians. there's obviously crossover, but we do look for different things in terms of how we perceive musical information and creativity.

brainheart

Well, I don't know, because many of those who you type as N musicians are my favorite musicians, Bob Dylan and a few others aside. (I count around 45 N-primarily INFP, INTP, and INTJ- that I like to 15 SP-primarily ISFP and the one ISTP- according to your categorizations.)

I don't want to get into typing people I don't know. I'm just making observations on an overall tendency I see in the typing others do and I have a hard time believing a lot of it. (For example, J Mascis as an INFP? Are you freaking kidding me? Talk about someone who gets technical with his guitar!)

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by lost verses View Post
    Ryan Adams...don't think he's a sensor. If you listen to "The Shadowlands"...I don't know, there's just so much depth in some of his music..."Friends" even, conveys a wealth of feeling that wouldn't be so prevalent in an SF type personality. *shrug* I think he's an NF of some sort.
    I know this is old but...

where on earth does this idea come from that an SF can't have depth or a 'wealth of feeling'?

A lot of us express our emotions via our art forms, irrespective of type; often it's the only way we know how to let it out, especially if we are introverts.

MBTI
    AHH!

^I'm not saying SF's lack feeling and emotion, of course not. But I absolutely think they do not have as much depth as the NF. That's unquestionable, imo.

brainheart

hmm. well, then I guess according to your definition I must be an NF. Unless an NF is a black hole while I am merely a bottomless well.

EDIT: thought I was an ISFP at the time.
    Last edited by brainheart; 09-25-2009 at 05:57 PM.

MBTI
    AHH!

Don't shoot the messenger, lol.

brainheart

Did you seriously just write that? Seriously?

You don't know me at all, and you have the presumption to write that based on what theorists peg to be my personality type?

Unbelievable. Where's your INFP desire for harmony, eh?