• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is existential crisis a problem at higher levels of consciousness?

Jarrod

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is one of those scenarios where thoughts in my head make sense, but articulating them into words is a challenge. So bear with me.

An existential crisis is defined as "a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value."

Assuming humans exist at a higher level of consciousness than less evolved species, it would seem that existential crisis is a problem unique to the level of consciousness that (some) humans are at, but which is not an issue at lower levels. If this is true, then are we sort of at an intermediate state on the way to a higher level of consciousness where this would no longer be an issue, or will it continue to be more of an issue the more we evolve/ascend?

Stated another way:

It is believed that life first evolved on the planet 3.85 billion years ago. Just as we exist at a higher level of consciousness than the first life had, so too will our descendants 3.85 billion years from now have a much higher level of consciousness than us. Will those descendants of ours have made any significant progress in the pursuit of meaning? Does this plague ever cease?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is believed that life first evolved on the planet 3.85 billion years ago. Just as we exist at a higher level of consciousness than the first life had, so too will our descendants 3.85 billion years from now have a much higher level of consciousness than us. Will those descendants of ours have made any significant progress in the pursuit of meaning? Does this plague ever cease?

That's not a question any of us could answer, is it? All people can provide are speculations, but how even that much -- 3.85 billion years in the future? It's completely unimaginable.

And will we even HAVE descendants? Our lineage might be extinct in another 100, 1000, 10000, one million years. After all, whatever life our descendants will have (if we live that long) won't be on this planet; life here probably won't be sustainable as we know it within a billion years.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is one of those scenarios where thoughts in my head make sense, but articulating them into words is a challenge. So bear with me.

An existential crisis is defined as "a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value."

Assuming humans exist at a higher level of consciousness than less evolved species, it would seem that existential crisis is a problem unique to the level of consciousness that (some) humans are at, but which is not an issue at lower levels. If this is true, then are we sort of at an intermediate state on the way to a higher level of consciousness where this would no longer be an issue, or will it continue to be more of an issue the more we evolve/ascend?

Stated another way:

Absolutely.

I'm already there, come join me.

____

Little bit more serious though. I think existential crisis is not an intrinsic part of physical evolution at all. But rather a by-product of culture, in particular difference in culture.

It is a really fascinating subject that you are poking at right now.

Because let us assume an upbringing in a shielded singular culture. Taught in a singular way. Then there would be no reason to question the teachings (unless they're really bad and irrational) and no existential crisis crops up in the subject. In that sense, globalisation would seem to be the natural eventuality leading to an era without existential crisis. A process that is already in full swing. It might take hundreds of years still(I'm optimistic). But yes, there's probably most likely going to be a time in which existential crisis is mere fiction in history books.

And here is where it gets super interesting. Would you value a globalised society without existential crisis above a multi-cultural society rampant with it?

Let's think about meaning here.

In a multi-cultural society we get to actively think about the subject. Who is best, who is worst, what is right, what is wrong. It's an ever ongoing process that teaches the participant of society the true value of meaning, as a concept forever just out of reach.

In a globalised culture, such thought would no longer be neccesary. There will be an idea of meaning that is shared by the masses. No one will question it, whatever it is, and no one will become the wiser.

Don't we live in exciting times. How lucky we are.

Lark

Its not a plague, that sounds misanthropic to say so.

Anyway, I think you could be interested in books like the Bicameral Mind or some of the responses to it, or Erich Fromm's idea that the Genesis story is an allegory for the development of thinking/understanding/self-awareness, the realisation of being set apart from nature and others, the loss of primary bonds, which he also thought was part of the individual maturational process, was a kind of "paradise lost" but it should not be the end but the beginning, however, he did think this was something of a dilemma unique to humankind, its why he said that humans were the only species for which their own existence was a problem.

I dont think it can be concluded, I dont think some evolutionary leap in consciousness or awareness will end existential crisis and humankind would be the worse of for it if it did, I do however think that individual and social progress, if its to continue, will require some kind of end to the alienation and estrangement caused by class struggles.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
and humankind would be the worse of for it if it did,

Absolutely this. I guess I sort of voiced that in my post but rather vaguely. I can't fathom the idea of existential crisis being something that is negative.

Lark

Absolutely this. I guess I sort of voiced that in my post but rather vaguely. I can't fathom the idea of existential crisis being something that is negative.

I agree, although its a world which doesnt see suffering as having value, wants a trouble free, effortless existence, which I'm not sure is either realistic or a good idea.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to think of it as the alternate cherry on top of Maslow's Hierarchy of needs.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

Stated another way:

Yes, I believe most reasonably introspective humans are at an intermediate state of consciousness. Those who aren't very self-aware or perhaps are markedly low in intelligence are less likely to experience existential crises. As they say, ignorance is bliss. Then there is the vast majority of us which fall into the intermediate category you speak of, but I think existential crisis is more a symptom of depression, or pessimism to say the least. Then, at the tippy-top of the spectrum are those who have attained (or for the sake of argument are consistently working toward attaining) enlightenment. I suppose you could include the very optimistic as well, but they're more permeable than say a seasoned buddhist monk. This top group is less likely to suffer from an existential breakdown (mindfulness and non-attachment and all). I think more primitive species of humans were more in line with the "ignorance is bliss" group, and it's impossible to know for certain what will become of mankind that far into the future (personally, I'm sure we'll kill each other and our planet well before that point). As long as we're still around and maintaining or improving upon our current levels of intelligence and awareness, I think there will always be those 3-subgroups of humans; ignorant, intermediate, and advanced/enlightened. That's mostly because civilization has voided survival of the fittest, so there will always be less capable/healthy humans (unless we revert to hunter/gatherer status). Therefore, I don't foresee a species of human that is exempt from existential crises realistically, and in fact I think it could potentially get worse as time goes on.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Its a problem at a higher consciousness for me for sure. That's the only time I think about it. It will always be subjective at a certain level anyway though, no matter how conscious we become.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Existential crisis is necessary in order to reach a higher level of consciousness. It's not a higher level of consciousness in and of itself though.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps it is hopeful that those humans who devote their lives to meditation do manage to find a sense of peace and meaning in their existence. I think there are Buddhist monks who have achieved higher levels of consciousness than I have, and they express a sense of inner peace. It is also at those times in which I feel most intensely aware of the deepest parts of reality, that I also feel most at peace. When I sit alone in nature and meditate for extended periods of time, there is a way that I melt into everything that surrounds me and in doing that, there is a sense of hope.

I think humans have developed oddly - much like a teenager whose legs have grown really long, but the rest hasn't caught up with them. Humans as a species appear to be in a state of extreme imbalance. We do not seem like the creatures that nature would produce. I think this is expressed in the nature of our societies and the inconsistencies in our morality which spans a more extreme gamut than other creatures. This also produces a lot of hopelessness, much like the frustration of an intelligent person like Helen Keller trapped in a state of blindness and deafness, but having something much deeper inside. That is the state of us all and why we feel so much existential crisis. Part of that state is the limits and imbalances of our biology, but it is exacerbated by the requirements of society. We all need more time for quiet and to think instead of rushing around to make money to surround ourselves with stupid objects and to work for social power that is nothing but an illusion.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Existential crisis is necessary in order to reach a higher level of consciousness. It's not a higher level of consciousness in and of itself though.

This

It is like a snake shedding its skin

It may not be an enjoyable process, but it is a requirement for growth

One must first recognize the potential inherent groundlessness of existence

Then one must abandon all that one once held to be sacred and beautiful and true

And only then can one's life be rebuilt on a foundation of one's own choosing

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Yes I think so.

MGMT - Siberian Breaks said:
Silver jet plane making a turn
Exciting the brain that expects it to crash and then burn
It's not the life lesson I'd've guessed
If you're conscious you must be depressed
Or at least cynical

Will this search for meaning/purpose still bother people in 3.7 billion years ? : How should I know ? I ask myself the same questions very often.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually I think it's a product/'luxury' of those who have too much time on their hands, too many choices, and have moved 'beyond' survival concerns.

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wonder...can an existential crisis really be considered a problem in the first place? There's nothing bad about questioning one's foundations - indeed, if they're unstable or rotten, then they really ought to be replaced or stabilized.