User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Default Compartmentalisation and Integrity

    Our Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse is revealing day by day the horrors visited on children in religious institutions, and yet more and more parents are sending their children to religious schools.

    How can we account for this anomoly?

    The parents themselves have stopped going to church, but send their children to private religious schools for social advantage, even though they read in the newspapers every day the betrayal of children in religious institutions.

    This is an interesting psychological question: how do the parents avoid the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance?

    The parents avoid the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance by the psychological defence of compartmentalisation.

    Compartmentalisation works because it keeps separate in the mind dissonant elements, so they don't come in contact and cause emotional pain.

    And compatmentalisation is the opposite of integrity which integrates different parts of the mind.

  2. #2
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    I just learned about the whole "To Train Up a Child" phenomenon. Child abuse, with several dead, in the name of the Bible. Horrifying.

  3. #3
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Personality and Child Rearing Practices

    Our personalities are determined by our child rearing, that is why our Royal Commission into child abuse is so important.

    How we raise our children determines the personality of our child. However the history of childhood is not taught and is unknown by all. And childrearing has been hidden from view.

    But now it is coming into view in Ireland and Australia.

    Here is an introduction to the Royal Commission in Australia -

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBhbrRySpBQ

  4. #4
    climb on Showbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Our Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse is revealing day by day the horrors visited on children in religious institutions, and yet more and more parents are sending their children to religious schools.

    How can we account for this anomoly?

    The parents themselves have stopped going to church, but send their children to private religious schools for social advantage, even though they read in the newspapers every day the betrayal of children in religious institutions.

    This is an interesting psychological question: how do the parents avoid the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance?

    The parents avoid the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance by the psychological defence of compartmentalisation.

    Compartmentalisation works because it keeps separate in the mind dissonant elements, so they don't come in contact and cause emotional pain.

    And compatmentalisation is the opposite of integrity which integrates different parts of the mind.
    So, correct if I am wrong but your question is: "Since religious education institutions are so harmful, how is it that parents can resolve their cognitive dissonance and stills end their children there?"
    Friends, waffles, work

    "The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

    3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*


  5. #5
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    I think you're overanalyzing but I agree with you, more or less, these parents send their children to religious schools, knowing the dangers out of voluntary "ignorance".

  6. #6
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think you're overanalyzing but I agree with you, more or less, these parents send their children to religious schools, knowing the dangers out of voluntary "ignorance".
    In Australia and Ireland at least there is now now no danger to children in religious schools. It's more that the religion they teach is no longer practised by the parents and is intellectually and morally dubious.

  7. #7
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    In Australia and Ireland at least there is now now no danger to children in religious schools. It's more that the religion they teach is no longer practised by the parents and is intellectually and morally dubious.
    Why is there no danger? You speak as though abusive priests no longer exist.

  8. #8
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    So, correct if I am wrong but your question is: "Since religious education institutions are so harmful, how is it that parents can resolve their cognitive dissonance and stills end their children there?"
    Religious institutions in Australia and Ireland at least are no longer sexually abusing children, however I do think their intellectual and moral claims are dubious.

    It's plain parents send their children to religious schools, not for the religion, but for social advantage.

  9. #9
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Why is there no danger? You speak as though abusive priests no longer exist.
    The difference now is that child sexual abusers are now brought before our criminal courts.

    And the Australian Federal Police (AFP) actively pursue child sexual abusers in Australia and across the world in concert with the Police Forces of other countries.

  10. #10
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The difference now is that child sexual abusers are now brought before our criminal courts.

    And the Australian Federal Police (AFP) actively pursue child sexual abusers in Australia and across the world in concert with the Police Forces of other countries.
    Im pretty sure child abuse still goes on behind the scenes. Most sex offenders are compulsive anyways, they cant resist doing what they do, it just sorta happens I wouls assume. So no, children aerent safer, the offenders are simply more likely to be punsihed, which is different.

    Also what does it matter if parents are sending their children to religious school for prestige and not belief? What does it tell you?

Similar Threads

  1. Sweden and integration
    By SearchingforPeace in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2016, 06:50 AM
  2. Typology and Integral Philosophy
    By Abhaya in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM
  3. [JCF] cognitive functions questions, integration, and infj as NiTi
    By the state i am in in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 03:51 PM
  4. Dissociation and Integrity
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 12:10 AM
  5. Transatlantic Economic Integration Between USA and European Union
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 08:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO