User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 137

  1. #21
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Shakespeare wrote for the masses. That is all.

  2. #22
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't know. I'm not terribly educated. I have a two year degree in general studies from a rural community college. So basically, all high culture means to me is that it's old. But surely not everything that is old is high culture? So that is why I asked. I looked and couldn't find anything specific.
    I think what he means is that he considers anything that's a fad (i.e. Harry Potter, Pokemon, etc.) to be "popular culture," whereas a Broadway show or a Jane Austen novel would be considered "high culture." I think the intention is to distinguish intelligent materials (i.e. books, plays, art, performances, publications, thoughts) from unintelligent but entertaining materials - but of course, it's a rather subjective definition. I'm sure there are some shows on Broadway that have less to contribute to humanity than a series of novels like Harry Potter.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

  3. #23
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I think what he means is that he considers anything that's a fad (i.e. Harry Potter, Pokemon, etc.) to be "popular culture," whereas a Broadway show or a Jane Austen novel would be considered "high culture." I think the intention is to distinguish intelligent materials (i.e. books, plays, art, performances, publications, thoughts) from unintelligent but entertaining materials - but of course, it's a rather subjective definition. I'm sure there are some shows on Broadway that have less to contribute to humanity than a series of novels like Harry Potter.
    Broadway shows are not usually considered high culture.

    Seeing Oedipus Rex, or Shakespeare, or The Ring Cycle, is.

  4. #24
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    If they identify more with Beyonce's music rather than Mozart's, is it fair to judge them?




    It's not fair, but I still do somewhat.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Of course that won't be possible if all you have access to is the abstract.
    Ding ding ding.

    We have a winner.

  5. #25
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Broadway shows are not usually considered high culture.

    Seeing Oedipus Rex, or Shakespeare, or The Ring Cycle, is.
    Ok.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    If people buy better wine then traditional, smaller, historical winemakers earn more money and can keep their business going, which benefits the whole rural area (ftr I'm Italian so in the US it might be different). Plus, better wine is often just much better for your health (no sulfites etc.).
    Yes, but idea was that buying these wines somehow makes someone a letter person.

    I'm arguing that while appreciating complexity may make you appriciate complexity which could leading to other values , like being aware of the importance of local farms or the effects on the body of certain products, it is possible to have this positive qualities with out liking fine wines.

    Sure somebody who like beyonce may not understand music like a beyonce conesuier, @Zarathustra, but I don't think that mean they are in empathetic or neccesarrily lacking other skills. This is why I said high culture is used to degrade people. At least her, in opposition to poster point, appreciation for high culture seems to be making some people here see other individuals as inferior just because they enjoy pop culture. I think there are very good, empathetic intelligent people who aren't, weren't in contact with high culture. And some very cruel people can be associated with high culture (Nero).

  7. #27
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    If people buy better wine then traditional, smaller, historical winemakers earn more money and can keep their business going, which benefits the whole rural area (ftr I'm Italian so in the US it might be different). Plus, better wine is often just much better for your health (no sulfites etc.).
    Yes, but idea was that buying these wines somehow makes someone a letter person.

    I'm arguing that while appreciating complexity may make you appriciate complexity which could leading to other values , like being aware of the importance of local farms or the effects on the body of certain products, it is possible to have this positive qualities with out liking fine wines.

    Sure somebody who like beyonce may not understand music like a beyonce conesuier, @Zarathustra, but I don't think that mean they are in empathetic or neccesarrily lacking other skills. This is why I said high culture is used to degrade people. At least her, in opposition to poster point, appreciation for high culture seems to be making some people here see other individuals as inferior just because they enjoy pop culture. I think there are very good, empathetic intelligent people who aren't, weren't in contact with high culture. And some very cruel people can be associated with high culture (Nero).

  8. #28
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,040

    Default

    Um, Nazis had appreciation for high culture. Did that give them empathy?

    Godwin, I know, but it seemed unavoidable.

    Alex in A Clockwork Orange is a good riff on this bit of fallacious thinking.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  9. #29
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Per usual, @Pseudo, you seem unable to engage with what I'm actually saying, preferring instead to argue with some phantom person of your own creation who has absolutely no connection to what I am saying.

  10. #30
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    High culture borrows from low culture and vice versa. And with time there's less and less of a difference between the two.

Similar Threads

  1. Fe and Popularity
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-10-2017, 07:30 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 06:37 PM
  3. High Culture
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 02:37 AM
  4. High T and emotions of other people.
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 08:12 PM
  5. ExFP with high N and S, possible?
    By Clownmaster in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO