123 Last

Thread: Phi

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Phi

The Divine Proportion. The Golden Ratio.
    Found in mathematics, nature, growth patterns, art and architecture, and the human body.
    How awesome is it??

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

It's my current obsession.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I'm a huge fan of it!!

Honestly, I see it as a miracle -- one of the only miracles I can think of in the world. (Being Episcopalian, I'm not too into miracles, generally.) Pi prompts a particular type of religious feeling in me, that this Einstein quote describes well:

“The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is utterly insignificant reflection."
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm a huge fan of it!!

Honestly, I see it as a miracle -- one of the only miracles I can think of in the world. (Being Episcopalian, I'm not too into miracles, generally.) Pi prompts a particular type of religious feeling in me, that this Einstein quote describes well:

“The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is utterly insignificant reflection."
    Phi and Pi tho are different. Pi would be the length of a rope which was formed into a circle of the diameter 1.

The golden ratio was kinda the first time when mankind tapped into natures collection of constants. Nowadays there are hundreds more constants and they have become big scale fundamental. Like the speed of light c or the Planck and Boltzman constants h and kb.

Somehow tho I cant agree with Einstein here. I like the possible symetrie of a universe as well and what it brings for mathematical equations but its a reflection of the "cold state" the universe is in nowadays. In the beginnings of the universe it was more chaos theory that applied, a mathematical model that predicts uncertain outcomes of a process tho the process is deterministic. An example would be the weather conditions on Earth. The dynamics of a growing storm for example are deterministic or in other words, they are predictable. Yet nobody can surely predict the outcome of the storm and that tho there are no random components. In other words that means it is a deterministic chaos. Of course that is no magic or mystery,the problem on a macroscopic level rather is the finding of the exact initial conditions to a system. But then again things like the uncertainity principle, which proposes that the place and the impulse of certain particles cant be measured simoultaneously, raises the question: is the universe meant to be symetrical ? Or is classical determinism and the symetry it brings with it the "divine beauty" of the universe or is the divine beauty the inmeasureable chaos or even mankind who could be a reflection of that chaos as a player in the big cosmic whole ?

I dunno, its a personal opinion of mine but symetry alone holds no beauty for me. Symetry and Chaos hand in hand I rather find intriguing following the princple of the butterfly effect, as in: "Can the flap of a wing of a butterfly in Europe cause a tornando in the States ?"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ

@entropie

Yeah. Symmetry is quite interesting to wonder about.

What I'm really a fan of in that regard is chirality. I wonder why it is that 90% of all snails have a right handed shell? Why is it that a minority of snail species have a left handed shell? What causes mutations where a rare specimen occurs with the opposite chirality, like a left handed shell in a right handed species? Why is it that apparently left handed snails get eaten less by snakes?

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post

Fascinating!

From what I've read, golden ratio and golden spirals can describe different types of spirals- good to know the details and the fact that some people label things incorrectly.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Phi and Pi tho are different. Pi would be the length of a rope which was formed into a circle of the diameter 1.

The golden ratio was kinda the first time when mankind tapped into natures collection of constants. Nowadays there are hundreds more constants and they have become big scale fundamental. Like the speed of light c or the Planck and Boltzman constants h and kb.

Somehow tho I cant agree with Einstein here. I like the possible symetrie of a universe as well and what it brings for mathematical equations but its a reflection of the "cold state" the universe is in nowadays. In the beginnings of the universe it was more chaos theory that applied, a mathematical model that predicts uncertain outcomes of a process tho the process is deterministic. An example would be the weather conditions on Earth. The dynamics of a growing storm for example are deterministic or in other words, they are predictable. Yet nobody can surely predict the outcome of the storm and that tho there are no random components. In other words that means it is a deterministic chaos. Of course that is no magic or mystery,the problem on a macroscopic level rather is the finding of the exact initial conditions to a system. But then again things like the uncertainity principle, which proposes that the place and the impulse of certain particles cant be measured simoultaneously, raises the question: is the universe meant to be symetrical ? Or is classical determinism and the symetry it brings with it the "divine beauty" of the universe or is the divine beauty the inmeasureable chaos or even mankind who could be a reflection of that chaos as a player in the big cosmic whole ?

I dunno, its a personal opinion of mine but symetry alone holds no beauty for me. Symetry and Chaos hand in hand I rather find intriguing following the princple of the butterfly effect, as in: "Can the flap of a wing of a butterfly in Europe cause a tornando in the States ?"
    Good thoughts.

Symmetry + chaos. Yang + yin respecively. Very beautiful to me.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    @entropie

Yeah. Symmetry is quite interesting to wonder about.

What I'm really a fan of in that regard is chirality. I wonder why it is that 90% of all snails have a right handed shell? Why is it that a minority of snail species have a left handed shell? What causes mutations where a rare specimen occurs with the opposite chirality, like a left handed shell in a right handed species? Why is it that apparently left handed snails get eaten less by snakes?
    How does a shell correspond to a hand?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    How does a shell correspond to a hand?
    The direction it twists is asymmetrical and not mirror superposable - just like hands.

The technical terms are actually sinistral and dextral but I find the casual terms to be more sensible.

On the left of the picture is a sinistral, or left handed shell
    The right one is a dextral, or right handed shell.

See how the spiral is asymmetrical?