User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Phi

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I'm not buying it! Still infp!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Haha. I really do love it though! I ain't frontin'. And I'm trying to incorporate it into a sacred geometry symbol I came up with.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    There was an xNTP named Leonardo da Vinci who was absolutely obsessed with sacred geometry.
    evidence:

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

more evidence:

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

the evidence continues:

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    The direction it twists is asymmetrical and not mirror superposable - just like hands.

The technical terms are actually sinistral and dextral but I find the casual terms to be more sensible.

On the left of the picture is a sinistral, or left handed shell
    The right one is a dextral, or right handed shell.

See how the spiral is asymmetrical?
    Do these have any pattern in location? Because I know that energy and weather patterns spiral in opposite ways in the hemispheres.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Haha. I really do love it though! I ain't frontin'. And I'm trying to incorporate it into a sacred geometry symbol I came up with.
    Found it. The smaller circles correspond to the larger circles as they correspond to the largest ones, and it's all in a yin yang.

@RaptorWizard: That's pretty cool. I love mandalas. And if you notice, at 1:36-8 in the second one, it looks like the Phi symbol!

I have a book which I'm reading called Divine Proportion Phi in Art, Nature, and Science (by Priya Hemenway) which I'm sure mentions Da Vinci. (I haven't gotten that far yet.) I was so excited when I got the book, I was inspired to create this thread. You all should check it out! I got it at a rare book store, but you might be able to find it.

Here's a quotation I love from page 12:
    "As a language, mathematics lies somewhere between the worlds that can be translated to language and those that are described by art-a mysterious, harmonious, almost magical modality in which abstractions become realities and unknowns appear as solutions to practical puzzles."

Another, and one which expresses the philosophical meaning of the symbol:
    "The most essential and universally fascinating attraction of the Divine Proportion comes from the ratio's subliminal reference to ourselves, for its most profound aspect is explicitly evoked when we put the human being into the equation and perceive the proportion as a relationship that includes ourselves. Contemplating our place in the equation, we will variously find that we are the whole, we are the larger, and we are the smaller of the parts- always in some perfectly balanced ratio of whole to larger and larger to smaller.
    As a relationship of macrocosm and microcosm, the Divine Proportion describes the larger and the smaller in their most intimate relationship: They are not separate; they are related. The proportion links them in such a way that there is a mirroring effect that makes it possible to see the large in the small and the small in the large."

Like this!
    yinYang.gif

And in my symbol, which is a map of the chakra system. We are a microcosm of the Earth and all the patterns in it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Symmetry + chaos. Yang + yin respecively. Very beautiful to me.
    Beautiful Chaos...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ

Do these have any pattern in location? Because I know that energy and weather patterns spiral in opposite ways in the hemispheres.
    Not really, since the vast majority of gastropods are dextral regardless of location. It's more similar to some people being left handed, or dextrocardia (people with heart on the right side instead of left)

It's a genetic thing that happens just because it happened to work out that way.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The direction it twists is asymmetrical and not mirror superposable - just like hands.

The technical terms are actually sinistral and dextral but I find the casual terms to be more sensible.

On the left of the picture is a sinistral, or left handed shell
    The right one is a dextral, or right handed shell.

See how the spiral is asymmetrical?
    Am I wrong in thinking that those shells are orgasmic in a sense?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Beautiful Chaos...

Omg. What a trip! Universes in universes. Totally brain bending. I'm going to have to watch all of these. I think I'm going to have to incorporate fractals into my study of philosophy and illustrations of reality.

But fractals aren't chaos; they are composed of patterns and mathematical equations. Or maybe chaos is too, and we just don't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that those shells are orgasmic in a sense?
    That's a weird and interesting idea. Quite possibly!

Not really, since the vast majority of gastropods are dextral regardless of location. It's more similar to some people being left handed, or dextrocardia (people with heart on the right side instead of left)

It's a genetic thing that happens just because it happened to work out that way.
    Cool. They're the yin in the yang, or the other way around. Maybe.