User Tag List

First 404849505152 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

What about things which are true some of the time and not others?

Like, if I was observing the behavior of subatomic particles, and I declared "This electron exists in this location," and then as soon as I said it it changed location. Or in the process of me saying it it changed location. What I said was true at the time that I said it, but if I were to make the statement a few seconds later it would not be true. Of course you could talk about creating equations describing their paths as a function of time, and using them to make predictions. Or what about something entirely subjective like love: Love is both pleasant and unpleasant. Being in love is easy some of the time and hard other times. So are the statements "love is easy" and "love is difficult" contradictory?

I know, I'm not using hard logic here. Just throwing things out. I'm really just asking questions, not pretending I have answers.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    What about things which are true some of the time and not others?

Like, if I was observing the behavior of subatomic particles, and I declared "This electron exists in this location," and then as soon as I said it it changed location. Or in the process of me saying it it changed location. What I said was true at the time that I said it, but if I were to make the statement a few seconds later it would not be true. Of course you could talk about creating equations describing their paths as a function of time, and using them to make predictions. Or what about something entirely subjective like love: Love is both pleasant and unpleasant. Being in love is easy some of the time and hard other times. So are the statements "love is easy" and "love is difficult" contradictory?

I know, I'm not using hard logic here. Just throwing things out. I'm really just asking questions, not pretending I have answers.
    Not only that, but we have the double slit experiment. If you send a laser through a double slit, it acts like a wave that goes through both slits and interferes with itself.

What happens when you do it with one particle? Well, it still acts like a wave and goes through both slits and interferes with itself. Well actually, it goes through the left slit, the right slit, both slits, and no slits.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Cool!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Not only that, but we have the double slit experiment. If you send a laser through a double slit, it acts like a wave that goes through both slits and interferes with itself.

What happens when you do it with one particle? Well, it still acts like a wave and goes through both slits and interferes with itself. Well actually, it goes through the left slit, the right slit, both slits, and no slits.
    Slits? You nasty.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Slits? You nasty.
    LOL I actually thought the same thing after I typed that. Get out of my mind. :P

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    @greenfairy I've enjoyed my own gender androgyny and so have my counterparts. I do "girly" things and the tomboys I've known and loved have appreciated me awakening them in an intangible way. I need structure and they need freedom. Whoever has the expertise in one should offer the other their gifts with love and respect. Whats your relationship role?
    Oh sry, didn't answer this one.

I don't have a particular relationship role. If I am in harmony with someone, we enhance each other's lives with our relationship. We have things we enjoy about each other, we learn from each other, and we heal each other. In each of my relationships with men I've felt protected, and it makes me feel secure. I would protect them as well if I needed to. I find that I am good at making guys feel good about themselves and happier with their lives. They usually feel more inspired when they are with me too. And when a guy pays attention to me physically, that makes me feel happy and secure. When I interact with women we protect and nurture each other. So I think I've experienced and enacted what the proverb is talking about.

And I personally have strong femininity and masculinity.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    That's my take on her WOT. Can you translate her WOT into 'thinking' and logical terms?
    Can you translate anything spiritual into thinking and logical terms? This thread is about philosophy and spirituality. Logic is not the point of the thread. Of course it looks NF. It's a feeling subject.

MBTI
    INFJ

Can you translate anything spiritual into thinking and logical terms? This thread is about philosophy and spirituality. Logic is not the point of the thread. Of course it looks NF. It's a feeling subject.
    I'm betting it's not totally impossible. It's just a tall order. It's like asking someone to tell you how to always win at Go. There might be a way out there somewhere but it isn't something that you or me is going to come up with, especially not on a forum - nobody would read it because it would be the WOT to end all WOTs. It would be the thickest book in the world.

Go is so complex, that compared to Chess, the best Chess computers can actually challenge and some times beat the best humans. The best Go computer can hardly beat a novice. Tic Tac Toe it ain't.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I'm betting it's not totally impossible. It's just a tall order. It's like asking someone to tell you how to always win at Go. There might be a way out there somewhere but it isn't something that you or me is going to come up with, especially not on a forum - nobody would read it because it would be the WOT to end all WOTs. It would be the thickest book in the world.

Go is so complex, that compared to Chess, the best Chess computers can actually challenge and some times beat the best humans. The best Go computer can hardly beat a novice. Tic Tac Toe it ain't.
    I thought I was pretty good at it, but I guess not. I'm only good at applying logic to mystical symbolic terms which people dismiss because they are vague and mystical.

MBTI
    INFJ

I thought I was pretty good at it, but I guess not. I'm only good at applying logic to mystical symbolic terms which people dismiss because they are vague and mystical.
    Yeah you tried. Maybe not speaking their language the way they want it, but I get it.

Stuff like the continuum fallacy and the law of the excluded middle seem to cause some people to flip out at anything that smells like vague.