User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default What do you think of the wall of text tl:dr development?

I didnt know that it meant too long : didnt read until lately and the wall of text thing, what do you think of them?

I can understand someone wanting broken up text or forum ettiquette to a certain extent but does it really mean that people dont pay attention anymore or wont concentrate? If its difficult or demanding are people in the west just inclined to give up and avoid it? Is slacking a cultural norm?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Well, wouldn't it depend on what it is? I mean, saying that if it's difficult or demanding we're inclined to give up... That can't really cover everything can it? It really has to do with how your level of interest compares to the difficulty of what needs to be done... Meaning, a wall of text won't deter me if I'm truly interested in what's being discussed, and likewise, I won't bother reading a wall of text if I'm only moderately interested in what's being discussed.

Oftentimes, I think TL;DR is just used to mess with people, not always of course. Also, I don't think it's contained to the West, by the way.

Sorry, I'm honestly not sure what you're wanting here, and my thoughts are a bit chaotic right now. I hope my response was at least close to being on topic.

I think it comes down to this: If the author of the information takes little care in presenting it in its best light, I don't see why I should have to make the extra effort to do the work they neglected to do. They're trying to convince me, not the other way around.

If you're writing something and want people to read it, best to make it comprehensible. That means paragraphs and a little bit of self-editing. It's similar to running a store. If you want to sell your stock, put it on a shelf neatly and display it properly instead of just throwing all your wares in a big bin and letting the customer sort them out for himself.

It's curious to me that you lay the label of slacker on the reader in cases like these.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

What did you think it meant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Cost/benefit. One may well regret spending the time to read a long, convoluted post, so many simply don't read it, and hope that the replies will fill in the gaps in meaning. As a strategy it's only partially successful at best...

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've noticed that length of post and degree of introversion can be generally related - with longer posts being associated with introversion. I personally appreciate people taking the time to develop ideas rather than tossing about soundbites. That is apparently what Facebook is for after all. Although, in the end I don't see the point in people trying to control the way other people communicate. If some want to use soundbites, concise statements, well developed and detailed posts, or run-on ideas, it has never been too difficult to just scroll past if it doesn't appeal personally.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I didnt know that it meant too long : didnt read until lately and the wall of text thing, what do you think of them?

I can understand someone wanting broken up text or forum ettiquette to a certain extent but does it really mean that people dont pay attention anymore or wont concentrate? If its difficult or demanding are people in the west just inclined to give up and avoid it? Is slacking a cultural norm?
    lol, "anymore"? That phrase is about as old as the internet.

It's not "slacking" to avoid pleasure reading that isn't pleasurable to read for any reason - including being a wall of text. Browsing a website for fun doesn't obligate you to read every post on it.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    ..longer posts being associated with introversion.
    Source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    lol, "anymore"? That phrase is about as old as the internet.

It's not "slacking" to avoid pleasure reading that isn't pleasurable to read for any reason - including being a wall of text. Browsing a website for fun doesn't obligate you to read every post on it.
    Its not as old as the internet since I used the internet from its earliest days and was familiar with the most ancient and arcane bulletin boards and never heard it.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    What did you think it meant?
    I thought it was some bullshit and ignored it. When people do that I know they arent worried whether they're understood or not. Abbreviations and assumptions like that are a pet peeve of mine, I hate people doing it at work too.