User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 25

  1. #11
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Nothing times infinity sounds pretty damn nice at times!

    But in all seriousness, the concept of nothingness after death doesn't scare me.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  2. #12
    Senior Member Munchies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno
    Posts
    474

    Default

    the concept of complete nothingness is incomprehensible. It implies absence of consciousness. Guess what baybay the entire universe is comprised of consciousness... NOT POSSIBLE
    1+1=3 OMFG

  3. #13
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Yeah, the total loss of consciousness and self doesn't bother me. I remember when I was a teen and we learned how to make ourselves faint. That is the darkest form of nonexistance that I've notexperienced (about the same as anesthesia). When you're out, you're not bothered by anything.

  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    the deep sleep thing is only enjoyable after you wake up. while sleeping, you don't enjoy it (or not enjoy it)...it just is.
    at least for me.

  5. #15
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If you're in a permanent state of nothingness without consciousness, why does it matter anymore? Consciousness is necessary to experience pain/discomfort. You also might as well label it non-existence, "you" are not in a permanent state because "you" no longer exists.

    There's not much to say about it, as there are human hopes for reality and then there is reality itself, and we have not been given insight into what actually does happen after the death barrier is crossed. it is all conjecture, and whether it is bliss, non-existence, or pure hell, we don't really get a choice in the matter as every human being dies. The wondering is all purely speculative; all we know is that the body ceases to function and eventually turns to dust.
    You're wrong, because if the universe collapses back onto itself we'll be forced to do it all over again albeit with billions of years in between cycles. Perhaps there is something just in the act of near exact replication of physical processes that imbues "soulfulness."
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  6. #16
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    If one is in a state of nothingness, wouldn't it stand to reason that there must also exist something for nothing to exist in relation to it? Or asked another way, what is nothing without something?
    Yes! Nothingness does not actually exist, it is a mental exercise.

    In short, the universe must exist because there is no alternative.

  7. #17
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    You're wrong, because if the universe collapses back onto itself we'll be forced to do it all over again albeit with billions of years in between cycles. Perhaps there is something just in the act of near exact replication of physical processes that imbues "soulfulness."
    Hmmm... well, we're assuming it would be cyclical, first of all, but at least what you say suggests (marginally) a potential pattern. I mean, consider for an instant quantum physics: As far as we can tell, it only operates on a very very very very tiny scale on microparticles, we don't see it have impact (or have any meaningful impact) on macro-beings.

    So I'm not sure the recycling of the universe matters to the individual person and whether they continue to exist after physical death, especially on a scale of billions and billions of years. Our bodies exist in this macrosystem, under the current rules of time, and the pattern within that size and framework and whatever else only shows us that things die.

    The seasons continue to recycle, but people and specific organisms are not reborn. If someone wants to believe in an afterlife or something similar, then it is a matter of faith, not observable evidence.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #18
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    ... although what I would like to ask is does anyone else think that the "nothing times infinity" would be a terrible fate? I dont believe so, given that any time I have slept that "deep sleep of the dead" its never been a bad experience, sometimes I dont like waking from it, especially if its waking to stress, strain and demands on me.
    We have all experienced an eternity of nothingness already: That is, the billion years of nothingness before we were born. And we will return to that state again after we die.

    The anomaly is the period in between, when our molecules have come together briefly in a form that allows us consciousness. But it's an inherently unstable and short-lived phenomenon, and soon we will all return to our natural state, the same state we were in for billions of years before our birth.

  9. #19
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmmm... well, we're assuming it would be cyclical, first of all, but at least what you say suggests (marginally) a potential pattern. I mean, consider for an instant quantum physics: As far as we can tell, it only operates on a very very very very tiny scale on microparticles, we don't see it have impact (or have any meaningful impact) on macro-beings.

    So I'm not sure the recycling of the universe matters to the individual person and whether they continue to exist after physical death, especially on a scale of billions and billions of years. Our bodies exist in this macrosystem, under the current rules of time, and the pattern within that size and framework and whatever else only shows us that things die.

    The seasons continue to recycle, but people and specific organisms are not reborn. If someone wants to believe in an afterlife or something similar, then it is a matter of faith, not observable evidence.
    I think you are prone to not assuming the positive because it is risky to always do so, however I don't think you take into consideration the full emotional impact of NOT doing so. I think having an existential viewpoint that is tragic impairs function and doesn't allow for the potential to create a reality without our current limitations.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  10. #20
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think you are prone to not assuming the positive because it is risky to always do so, however I don't think you take into consideration the full emotional impact of NOT doing so. I think having an existential viewpoint that is tragic impairs function and doesn't allow for the potential to create a reality without our current limitations.
    Oh, so that's your bias.
    I appreciate you being honest about it, at least.

    However, when you say "I don't think you take into consideration the full emotional impact of NOT doing so," I would simply say that you're not correct. My entire 40+ years of existence have been an unfolding spiritual journey, and I moved from a monotheistic spiritual understanding of the world into this agnostic one, after wrestling for many many years about what the emotional impact would be... and somehow I passed through the eye of paradox and actually came out much happier on the other side, with more passion about life and more investment in my life than I was ever able to have before. It really liberated me to live and engage, whereas before I felt trapped and deadened.

    So either you don't really "get it," or you're just a different type of person and need something else to function positively compared to me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. Nothing, infinity, and everything inbetween
    By Munchies in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
  2. Timing is everything?
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
  3. You're wasting your time - he's nothing like the Nightrider!!
    By 563 740 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
  4. It's about damn time!
    By Rajah in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO