User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 32

  1. #11
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    is right
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  2. #12
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    is right
    I am not an angel. Don't test me boy.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Assuming is precisely what I am not doing. I am not assuming that anything does or does not exist, whereas you are assuming that the existence of something for which there is no proof should somehow default to existing. I am unsure of what it means to 'take a large degree of assumption at the root of such an idea which simply shouldn't exist in objective empirical reasoning.'

    I will go ahead an answer to the general gist of what I believe you're saying in the third paragraph (please correct me if I'm wrong), that being that you believe that everything was created by something, and therefore the universe was created by god. This is what is commonly called 'begging the question,' or circular reasoning. It is illogical because the premise (everything was created by something) presupposes the conclusion (something that created the universe exists).

  4. #14
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    The only way I could overcome that claim would be with personal qualifications, and personal qualifications are highly overrated in the realm of logic (I think many INTPs will agree)
    and the only side of argument that you are presenting is your own viewpoint, which is equally logical... either way, you can't apply logic to religion, and you can't explain religion or lack of religion without looking at personal viewpoints... you've caught yourself in a dangerous spiral here
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #15
    Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    131

    Default

    No, what I am saying is that this comfort zone "I am not assuming that anything does or does not exist" itself does not exist, by the very nature of truth. When we observe it can't, then we begin to see the pattern that emerges is one that supposes incorrectly, the same basis behind something like saying whether or not i have murder of one victim or another, murder by default doesn't itself exist.

    What I'm saying, basically, is that by remaining in the comforts of the lack of physical evidence as the basis of being real or not, you're taking a large degree of assumption when it comes to the nature of God's existence, God being unseen.

    So you say, so what? What's wrong with that? What's wrong with that is that everything else of this nature, that we do not see, we be default assume one way. This is if your faith is based on what you observe. Even science itself would not exist or progress without the notion that something we have not yet observed is in fact true or not. And yet with God, we assume Atheism is the more scientifically likely belief. The whole line of reasoning is full of contradiction.

    However, a true measurement with reason will display the opposite, and eradicate the dichotomy altogether if your perception is deep enough.

    The bias exists because of sociological observations, nothing scientific. Scientists as by nature cynical, and see faith or perspective on anything of an unseen nature as ignorant of the empirical pattern of thought. This has lead to a proclivity towards Athiesm, and an assumption of Athiesm being the more scientific viewpoint. Then, a certain few more individuals recognize in terms of proof you cannot lean one way or another, but if we had removed this unreasonable proclivity towards Athiesm as being "science"-belief in the first place, the entire dichotomy collapses. Furthermore, if you wanna be ambitious, start to weigh out the matter of belief sociologically rather than evidently, a root of false empirical bias becomes evident.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    214

    Default

    You do realize that a vast majority of what you're saying makes no sense, right? Even after two or three reads through I can't follow your train of thought. Maybe you should take a step back and clarify what you're saying. Without using analogies (your analogies don't make sense) or dichotomies (the ones you have presented are false, as I mentioned before).
    Last edited by dala; 02-02-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: missing parentheses

  7. #17
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I am not an angel. Don't test me boy.


    Hey, it was the only time we've ever ''agreed'' on a religious subject, I had to quote you.
    Anyways, I don't feel like defending atheists anymore...as long as ppl don't make it seem like a sort of satanism, I don't really care.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  8. #18
    Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    You do realize that a vast majority of what you're saying makes no sense, right? Even after two or three reads through I can't follow your train of thought. Maybe you should take a step back and clarify what you're saying. Without using analogies (your analogies don't make sense) or dichotomies (the ones you have presented are false, as I mentioned before).
    Case in point, you assume I'm wrong by default and assume I must prove otherwise, a byproduct of the comfort zone I was explaining in my previous posts.


    Edit: my conscience became bothered that I made this thread, since it will probably only lead to strife. Considering that I have to bow out of this topic. I apologize for making it and if this leaves anyone feeling slighted in the least. Delete this if we can, please.

  9. #19
    Senior Member giegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Belief in god.
    Non-belief in god.

    Seems like a dichotomy to me.

  10. #20
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Someone will come in here and wreck this thread's face.

Similar Threads

  1. "Debunking the MBTI Debunkers" Article
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM
  2. [SJ] SJs and the "Interesting"/"Boring" dichotomy
    By EJCC in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 02:25 PM
  3. What the J/P dichotomy is and isn't
    By entpersonal in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM
  4. Symbolic learning: Part of the J/P dichotomy?
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO