INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    is right
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    is right
    I am not an angel. Don't test me boy.

MBTI
    intp

Assuming is precisely what I am not doing. I am not assuming that anything does or does not exist, whereas you are assuming that the existence of something for which there is no proof should somehow default to existing. I am unsure of what it means to 'take a large degree of assumption at the root of such an idea which simply shouldn't exist in objective empirical reasoning.'

I will go ahead an answer to the general gist of what I believe you're saying in the third paragraph (please correct me if I'm wrong), that being that you believe that everything was created by something, and therefore the universe was created by god. This is what is commonly called 'begging the question,' or circular reasoning. It is illogical because the premise (everything was created by something) presupposes the conclusion (something that created the universe exists).

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    The only way I could overcome that claim would be with personal qualifications, and personal qualifications are highly overrated in the realm of logic (I think many INTPs will agree)
    and the only side of argument that you are presenting is your own viewpoint, which is equally logical... either way, you can't apply logic to religion, and you can't explain religion or lack of religion without looking at personal viewpoints... you've caught yourself in a dangerous spiral here
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

No, what I am saying is that this comfort zone "I am not assuming that anything does or does not exist" itself does not exist, by the very nature of truth. When we observe it can't, then we begin to see the pattern that emerges is one that supposes incorrectly, the same basis behind something like saying whether or not i have murder of one victim or another, murder by default doesn't itself exist.

What I'm saying, basically, is that by remaining in the comforts of the lack of physical evidence as the basis of being real or not, you're taking a large degree of assumption when it comes to the nature of God's existence, God being unseen.

So you say, so what? What's wrong with that? What's wrong with that is that everything else of this nature, that we do not see, we be default assume one way. This is if your faith is based on what you observe. Even science itself would not exist or progress without the notion that something we have not yet observed is in fact true or not. And yet with God, we assume Atheism is the more scientifically likely belief. The whole line of reasoning is full of contradiction.

However, a true measurement with reason will display the opposite, and eradicate the dichotomy altogether if your perception is deep enough.

The bias exists because of sociological observations, nothing scientific. Scientists as by nature cynical, and see faith or perspective on anything of an unseen nature as ignorant of the empirical pattern of thought. This has lead to a proclivity towards Athiesm, and an assumption of Athiesm being the more scientific viewpoint. Then, a certain few more individuals recognize in terms of proof you cannot lean one way or another, but if we had removed this unreasonable proclivity towards Athiesm as being "science"-belief in the first place, the entire dichotomy collapses. Furthermore, if you wanna be ambitious, start to weigh out the matter of belief sociologically rather than evidently, a root of false empirical bias becomes evident.

MBTI
    intp

You do realize that a vast majority of what you're saying makes no sense, right? Even after two or three reads through I can't follow your train of thought. Maybe you should take a step back and clarify what you're saying. Without using analogies (your analogies don't make sense) or dichotomies (the ones you have presented are false, as I mentioned before).
    Last edited by dala; 02-02-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: missing parentheses

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I am not an angel. Don't test me boy.

Hey, it was the only time we've ever ''agreed'' on a religious subject, I had to quote you.
    Anyways, I don't feel like defending atheists anymore...as long as ppl don't make it seem like a sort of satanism, I don't really care.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    You do realize that a vast majority of what you're saying makes no sense, right? Even after two or three reads through I can't follow your train of thought. Maybe you should take a step back and clarify what you're saying. Without using analogies (your analogies don't make sense) or dichotomies (the ones you have presented are false, as I mentioned before).
    Case in point, you assume I'm wrong by default and assume I must prove otherwise, a byproduct of the comfort zone I was explaining in my previous posts.

Edit: my conscience became bothered that I made this thread, since it will probably only lead to strife. Considering that I have to bow out of this topic. I apologize for making it and if this leaves anyone feeling slighted in the least. Delete this if we can, please.

MBTI
    INTP

Belief in god.
    Non-belief in god.

Seems like a dichotomy to me.

Ginkgo

Someone will come in here and wreck this thread's face.