User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Thread: There is no God

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Gotta love arrogance...

^referring to the OP, not anybody who posted more recently...
    V V V

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    I don't find any significant point in trying to decipher whether it exists or not. You will either believe or won't, but you will never know whether you feel it or not and using this world as evidence will never work because the illogical cannot be supported by the logical. This does not mean that the illogical does not exist, but we don't know the premise upon which it works.
    ^ ^ ^This.

And I'm actually an Agnostic that leans Atheist (despite the OP which seems to indicate I'm vehemently Atheist).

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    God doesn't solve that problem at all. If God created the universe, what created God? Either you answer:
    a) God wasn't created, he always existed. (to which I respond, okay, then if things can always exist, why can't the universe have always existed?)
    b) God was the first thing to exist, he came from nothing. (to which I respond, why couldn't the universe come from nothing?)
    or c) God created time. (to which I respond, why couldn't the big bang have created time?)

The problem is the question itself -- what was before the big bang -- it's set up to be unanswerable or to cause infinite regress.
    That wasn't what I said. You are avoiding the question. What I said is that the atheists, agnostics or whatever you call youself came up with the conclusion that there is no God without even having the most basic answers. This is what I find naive.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    What if God transcends logic?

"All logic depends on axioms (although in practice, they are more often hidden assumptions which have subconsciously accumulated, that are subjective and have been influenced by many experiences and suggestions from elsewhere). This constitutes a body of knowledge which is relative and subjective, and a limited frame of reference, which can conflict with other frames of reference. As the knowledge is subjective (and therefor incomplete) it is currently foundational but transient in nature. We only have limited physical senses, and at any time a partial insight into what reality in essence really is. God is not subject to such constraints, because God is a mystery that lies beneath all the assumptions. He is not in opposition to logic. It's just that logic is only a tool, that kind of depends on where someone is at a given time. "
    This might help you:
    http://www.aquinasonline.com/Topics/nattheol.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kraska View Post
    That wasn't what I said. You are avoiding the question. What I said is that the atheists, agnostics or whatever you call youself came up with the conclusion that there is no God without even having the most basic answers. This is what I find naive.
    What are the basic answers?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Do you agree with the conclusion that there is no luminiferous aether?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    What if God transcends logic?

"All logic depends on axioms (although in practice, they are more often hidden assumptions which have subconsciously accumulated, that are subjective and have been influenced by many experiences and suggestions from elsewhere). This constitutes a body of knowledge which is relative and subjective, and a limited frame of reference, which can conflict with other frames of reference. As the knowledge is subjective (and therefor incomplete) it is currently foundational but transient in nature. We only have limited physical senses, and at any time a partial insight into what reality in essence really is. God is not subject to such constraints, because God is a mystery that lies beneath all the assumptions. He is not in opposition to logic. It's just that logic is only a tool, that kind of depends on where someone is at a given time. "
    Exactly. I always assumed that if somebody was responsible for creating logic and physics that they would be beyond their creation, in a different class of 'existence'. The thing is, it is useless attempting to describing such a thing and even more useless debating it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Do you agree with the conclusion that there is no luminiferous aether?
    What's that? Sorry I'm not very good at chemistry.

What's that? Sorry I'm not very good at chemistry.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    What are the basic answers?
    Well I'm a very organized guy. I like to take things step by step. The basic answers would be to know everything about the starting point.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If the studies proved that the theory is wrong. Then it's wrong.