User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    I pray every morning.

Makes me feel good and prepared. I do this every morning. Not every alternative day or when I just feel like it.
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of praying? Like do you repeat the same prayer every day? Or is it more like focusing your energies? Just honestly curious...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    The thoughtful are the ones driving their own prayers
    Praying to yourself? Sounds like idolatry to me... and hubris.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well in a way I could see prayer as a way of getting in touch with the higher/more noble/loving parts of ourselves... I don't think that's so whacky...

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Well in a way I could see prayer as a way of getting in touch with the higher/more noble/loving parts of ourselves... I don't think that's so whacky...
    Not wacky if that's what it is... but in that case I would call it meditiation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    He is more like a slot machine. You stick in your prayer, pull the handle and hope for the best. You stand there, "triple sevens, triple sevens" do your special machine rub, and end up with 3 cherries Rinse and repeat. Then walk off someone else puts a prayer in, pulls the handle, etc. and gets their prayer. So you go back, try copying thier methods (maybe they knocked on the machine instead of rubbing it). Eventually you start praying for 3 cherries...
    Most people give up on that after they fail to win the jackpot enough times.

At that stage, they either find a better way to deal with and/or attitude towards prayer or they quit altogether.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

How would you distinguish between the two, Oberon?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Prayer ~= The Secret ~= Wiccan 'Magick' ~= Satanic/Nordic/whatever Rituals ~= Chaos Magic's glyphs+gnosis ~= Buddhist mantras

Ritual is a useful tool for focusing the subconscious. Ascribing it powers that go beyond psychologically feasible is unscientific, but may help to make choices which will increase the likelihood of success.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    How would you distinguish between the two, Oberon?
    Meditation is an inward focusing of the mind, and can be done for any of a number of reasons. Prayer is a focusing of the mind for the purpose of communicating or communing with a higher power, i.e. deity. That's how I see it, at least.

Buddhist prayer is a matter of some debate, though it's arguable that the unconscious larger universe could take the place of deity for the purpose of the definition. Absent a sentient deity, I would personally consider it meditation.

MBTI
    STP

Its an inner pride or self-confidence. Its believing in yourself.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    STP

Meditation is an inward focusing of the mind, and can be done for any of a number of reasons. Prayer is a focusing of the mind for the purpose of communicating or communing with a higher power, i.e. deity. That's how I see it, at least.

Buddhist prayer is a matter of some debate, though it's arguable that the unconscious larger universe could take the place of deity for the purpose of the definition. Absent a sentient deity, I would personally consider it meditation.
    I agree with your vision. When someone believes in prayer very strongly it has the affect of meditating for strength, meditating to let things go. The biggest benefit of prayer is to give you something to believe in, something to have faith in. Prayer is done for a number of reasons as well and line up pretty good with meditation the difference is one is focused inward while another is focused outward. One thing that can change with prayer is if you hold god inside of you or if god is seperated from you as that can change the focus from inward to outward. The mind is an extremely complicated thing in regard to perception and how we internally see things and the effect it has.
    Im out, its been fun