User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I believe God is an evil mastermind beyond imagination. Just look at all the suffering in the Universe! What kind of insane fiend would you have to be to create this maniacal madhouse that we are cursed to dwindle within?
    You should read Descartes' Evil Genius skepticism.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I'm a pantheist/polytheist/atheist, and I try to prove that "God" doesn't exist. However God, god, gods, and other such words can have multiple definitions, and some of them can have explanations for existence. That's how theists try to get around it- they redefine "God" to mean something much more general (like Descartes and Berkeley) like Collective Consciousness; but then they wouldn't use that word in everyday speech, because they would really mean something more.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Then why even believe in a creator-god?
    Why not?

I mean, a thing being unpleasant is not a reason to disbelieve it.

I don't believe in the capital G God, and that isn't because I don't like him. Believing that God is the creator and believing that God is a cosmic butthole are two entirely different things.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I'm a pantheist/polytheist/atheist, and I try to prove that "God" doesn't exist. However God, god, gods, and other such words can have multiple definitions, and some of them can have explanations for existence. That's how theists try to get around it- they redefine "God" to mean something much more general (like Descartes and Berkeley) like Collective Consciousness; but then they wouldn't use that word in everyday speech, because they would really mean something more.
    How can you be both a polytheist and an atheist? The pantheism part I understand--it all depends on how you define God. However, polytheism and atheism are mutually exclusive. They contradict each other.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Why not?

I mean, a thing being unpleasant is not a reason to disbelieve it.

I don't believe in the capital G God, and that isn't because I don't like him. Believing that God is the creator and believing that God is a cosmic butthole are two entirely different things.
    Exactly. It's perfectly fine to be an atheist, but if you are one simply because you don't think a god would do horrible things, you're being irrational. I've never understood this line of reasoning, but it is a very common one.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so

ENFP and very much believe in God. I have had many surreal, supernatural experiences. Prayers answered. I have my proof.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    How can you be both a polytheist and an atheist? The pantheism part I understand--it all depends on how you define God. However, polytheism and atheism are mutually exclusive. They contradict each other.
    So it would seem. But it also relies on definition of god/s. I don't believe in god with a capital G; that is, I don't believe that there is one powerful being who controls things, but I do believe that gods "exist" in a manner of speaking. The reasoning is as follows. I believe that matter and energy exist, and that matter is just a dense form of energy. So the physical plane is just dense energy. Thought and emotion are less dense and collect into patterns and forms; these transcend the physical body. Collections of energy can result from human attention, and that's how humans create "gods." So gods exist as collections of energy from human thought activity, and can dissipate and dissolve with lack of attention- but they don't exist independently from us. This is pretty much the Hindu belief; that's why Hinduism is at its core atheistic (as well as polytheistic), and more of a spiritual philosophy.

*So to clarify, gods don't exist as independent, omnipotent, anthropomorphic beings- but they exist as lifelike concepts with which we can interact because we are made of the same material.

Sound plausible? I don't think it's any less reasonable than monotheism.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

And just for the record, why can't God be a She? I invite everyone to try replacing "He" with "She" when you talk about God, and see where things go. It's an interesting experiment. People say there's no reason it's a male gendered being and not a female gendered being, and they say the Ultimate It doesn't have a gender- but those same people refer to It as a He all the time, and saying She might expose some hidden assumptions. Like say She created the earth, She created us, She is all powerful and benevolent, etc. The obvious implication which comes up is that if Goddess is the Creator, She is our mother, and gave birth to us- rather than some impersonal Father creating us like a clay pot. Which makes vaginas holy.

Just try it and see what happens.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    So it would seem. But it also relies on definition of god/s. I don't believe in god with a capital G; that is, I don't believe that there is one powerful being who controls things, but I do believe that gods "exist" in a manner of speaking. The reasoning is as follows. I believe that matter and energy exist, and that matter is just a dense form of energy. So the physical plane is just dense energy. Thought and emotion are less dense and collect into patterns and forms; these transcend the physical body. Collections of energy can result from human attention, and that's how humans create "gods." So gods exist as collections of energy from human thought activity, and can dissipate and dissolve with lack of attention- but they don't exist independently from us. This is pretty much the Hindu belief; that's why Hinduism is at its core atheistic (as well as polytheistic), and more of a spiritual philosophy.

*So to clarify, gods don't exist as independent, omnipotent, anthropomorphic beings- but they exist as lifelike concepts with which we can interact because we are made of the same material.

Sound plausible? I don't think it's any less reasonable than monotheism.
    Interesting perspective. I've never heard this before and I didn't know that this was a Hindu belief. A quick Google search reveals that there is a such think as the coexistance of atheism and Hinduism. I was not aware of anything like this before.

As I don't know much about Hinduism, I can't say I can say much in response to your statement. I will say that semantics are getting in the way a bit, as the definitions of polytheism and atheism themselves are contradictory in nature.

Anyway, thanks for sharing a little bit of your unique and interesting beliefs!

Art and Religion

When we see a movie, we suspend our disbelief as long as the movie lasts. And when the movie is over, we return to our disbelief.

And so when we go to Mass, we suspend our disbelief as long as the Mass lasts. And when the Mass is over, we return to our disbelief.

And we can suspend our disbelief in Allah, or Krishna, or Confucius, or any other deity or guru.

Of course, as we learn in the Bible, "My God is a jealous God", so we find the suspension of disbelief is resisted in almost all religions or beliefs. Although we notice it is not resisted in the movies. And the suspension of disbelief is not resisted in literature and poetry, in art, in ballet, in opera, in music and song. And so we conclude that Art is superior to religion.