User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Think of it more like this as explained before, everything as you know it has a science behind it, even if it isn't perfect logic it's still logical. This is in the sense that everything has a theory behind it not yet completed because we don't know enough yet to complete this theory. That as I believe it applies to everything in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Incidentally, I believe that I am a dominant Ti user, and I often have trouble explaining things that I understand well. It's a matter of organizing the presentation of material. I can have it perfectly organized in my head all at once, but structuring the sequential delivery of material so that others understand is a different matter entirely, and requires a different skill set that I am apparently lacking.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    Ok so the label is just semantics. That's fine.

If you are using science to address physical truths, how can you expect it to address the metaphysical?
    The supposed metaphysical is a manifestation of psychological patterns that came about as an evolutionary byproduct of other cognitive developments, and have no actual correspondence with things as they exist?

It's very difficult to learn about anything from a metaphysical perspective, since solipsism is the natural logical progression of those perspectives. Solipsism is completely useless as a way of understanding things.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    The supposed metaphysical is a manifestation of psychological patterns that came about as an evolutionary byproduct of other cognitive developments, and have no actual correspondence with things as they exist?
    Are you asking me or telling me? It sounds like you have reached a conclusion on this already and are just telling me what you feel. But I'd just like to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's very difficult to learn about anything from a metaphysical perspective, since solipsism is the natural logical progression of those perspectives. Solipsism is completely useless as a way of understanding things.
    I do not agree with this, at all. I think solipsism to be a useless crock of shit (and it seems like you do too?).

I'm not sure what you are saying or asking me here.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    Are you asking me or telling me? It sounds like you have reached a conclusion on this already and are just telling me what you feel. But I'd just like to make sure.
    That would be a scientific explanation for the metaphysical, if true.

I do not agree with this, at all. I think solipsism to be a useless crock of shit (and it seems like you do too?).

I'm not sure what you are saying or asking me here.
    There are few metaphysical concepts that wouldn't be better explained by solipsism, which we agree, is useless.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Everything is quantifiable would be better than saying everything is science.

Science relates to knowledge we have obtained. Not all knowledge in the universe.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    I suppose one could put this forward as "Science is belief in understanding".

It does not need to conflict with spiritual values... though it will conflict if those spiritual values are not open to change. This is the common point of contention, as it is commonly perceived that to adjust ones values is to admit to being wrong. Or perhaps to question one's values might be seen as a lack of dedication. I find this a curious stance as opposed to one where one seeks to continually improve oneself. A keystone of Science is the ability to doubt, question, revisit old theories, examine new evidence. It invites a humble aspect.
    Ironically humility is a fundamental teaching of a lot of religions. Perhaps the problem lies not in the teachings of the religions but how they are practiced.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Everything is quantifiable would be better than saying everything is science.
    The problem with this is that it is clearly a false statement. For example when you classify an organism by kingdom, phylum, class, etc... you are making a qualitative judgement rather than a quantitative one. Quantitative judgements are more important in Physics and Chemistry than they are in the other sciences.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

if by everything you mean inference, then yes, everything is science.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Actually, Everything isn't Science. Science is a method. A method for gathering information about that natural world. We use this information to make theories about how the natural world works. Sometimes this leads to some crazy-ass ideas, but its an ongoing process.