User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who was Jesus?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Son of God (in the traditionally understood evangelical sense)

43 37.72%
  • A very good and wise man.

22 19.30%
  • Definitely more than human... but nothing else can be said with clarity.

7 6.14%
  • A man tapped into the "ineffable Greatness" of the cosmos/universe.

3 2.63%
  • A idiosyncratic nut.

9 7.89%
  • It is unclear whether Jesus actually lived.

21 18.42%
  • Jesus existed, but it's unsure whether he was human or "more than human"/godly.

9 7.89%
12311 Last

Thread: Who Was Jesus?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Note from Jennifer: Moving threads here from elsewhere, since the discussion might develop over time. Also, if you believe a pertinent poll option is missing, please post it here and I will add it for you, so that you can register your vote accordingly.
    Ivy, do you believe that Christ existed and was indeed the son of God (or God) come to earth?
    Last edited by Bellflower; 09-14-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added note
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Mycroft: I do think Jesus was a real person. As for being the son of God- I don't even know if there is a God. But I hope there is, and I feel there is, and in that way I believe Christ is fully man and fully God.

I like the way the Christian Agnostic puts it:

Someone once asked Bertrand Russell two questions: "Do you understand Einstein? Do you agree with him?"

"My answer is no to the first and yes to the second.", replied the philosopher.

I feel a bit like that when asked about Jesus. No, I don’t understand everything about him but yes, I most certainly do believe in him. I believe, for instance, that Jesus was more than just a good man but I don’t know if I can precisely put my finger on just what that means. I believe, too, that Jesus stands in a unique relationship with God, that he was different from any other man or woman and yet no other human could be more closely identified with you or me than he. Truly God and truly man is what we say and although for some such a description is terribly confusing, I think I understand why it is the best description we can ever have.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I feel a bit like that when asked about Jesus. No, I don't understand everything about him but yes, I most certainly do believe in him. I believe, for instance, that Jesus was more than just a good man but I don't know if I can precisely put my finger on just what that means. I believe, too, that Jesus stands in a unique relationship with God, that he was different from any other man or woman and yet no other human could be more closely identified with you or me than he. Truly God and truly man is what we say and although for some such a description is terribly confusing, I think I understand why it is the best description we can ever have.
    That is very much like what I have been feeling for quite awhile now.

Sigh. Does this mean I've finally become a Lutheran???
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Ivy, that being the case, I would classify you as a humanist with spiritual leanings who thinks that Christ most likely existed and, if common account of him is at all to be trusted, was a pretty okay person.

If that's what's involved in being a Christian, then I am one, too, despite not believing in God.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Ivy, that being the case, I would classify you as a humanist with spiritual leanings who thinks that Christ most likely existed and, if common account of him is at all to be trusted, was a pretty okay person.

If that's what's involved in being a Christian, then I am one, too, despite not believing in God.
    I think is quite essencial for a Christian to believe Christ was the son of God.
    I believe too that Christ did exist and was something more than a pretty okay person.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    I believe too that Christ did exist and was something more than a pretty okay person.
    I did think it implicit in Ivy's offered quote that Christ was more than a person (which does then clash with Mycroft's summary of her beliefs), but that trying to specify exactly what he was, in a relevant way, is the difficulty.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I did think it implicit in Ivy's offered quote that Christ was more than a person (which does then clash with Mycroft's summary of her beliefs), but that trying to specify exactly what he was, in a relevant way, is the difficulty.
    Son of God?

Which one of them?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Son of God?

Which one of them?
    The originally Jewish one. You know, Jehovah/Yahweh?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

"Humanist with spiritual leanings" I would not argue with, but I did say that I believe Christ was more than just a good dude. Exactly what that is, I don't know. I don't think it is necessary for me to fully understand (in fact, I think it is impossible). This is also why I don't believe that only people who know about and acknowledge Christ are God's homies. Jesus said that whoever does the will of God is his brother and sister and mother. To me, that means that the trappings of religion and even professed belief are simply window dressing.

What's involved in being a Christian is not my decision to make. I only know what is involved in me being a Christian. And, in my worldview, you very well may be one.

*steels self for burning at stake*
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

My option (???) wasn't up there, as I don't have enough information to say anything about the existence of Jesus, or what I would think if the existence were real.