User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Socionics

MBTI
    INTJ

I looked around at wikisocion for awhile and found it a bit confusing.

I think if I had not studyed MBTI at all I probably could have understood it. It was the whole similiar but different thing that did it. They use most of the same words, but they seem to mean a little bit different over there. The process types explainations were a bit different, like Si is calm and seeks harmony and Se is more energetic and excited. And it is confusing how j and p are reversed so you are a different type.

It is like they are almost compatible, but not quite.

After looking for it awhile I felt it was better for me to concentrate on either the MBTI or socionics because it was two confusing for me to do both. I think it would get mixed up in my mind which parts were from which.

It is not that I can't deal with two different theories. I just read a book on the Enneagram and don't find it confusing. I think that is because it uses completely different terms and personality types.

Ilah

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    I think if I had not studyed MBTI at all I probably could have understood it. It was the whole similiar but different thing that did it. They use most of the same words, but they seem to mean a little bit different over there. The process types explainations were a bit different, like Si is calm and seeks harmony and Se is more energetic and excited. And it is confusing how j and p are reversed so you are a different type.
    That's basically how Jung viewed Si and Se.

With Si harmony, it's not really the same as an Fi harmony, it's more about keeping peace and maintaining balance and harmony (AKA stability) of the physical world rather than adapting to what comes up, as it is with Se, or being driven by human values, as it is with Fi.

Likewise, Jung viewed Ne as the expression of a vision and noted how Ne types do not necessarily bring the visions to life by themselves, but rather inspire others with the expression of their vision. Jung also viewed Ne as challenging of the status quo and instigating change through example rather than necessarily following through -- inspiring others with their own inspirations. By contrast, the Ni type will muse upon internal mental wanderings.

Both Se and Si are S types, so they are driven by sensations, but where Se will be curious about new sensations and experiences, Si savors their sensations.

Likewise, as both Ne and Ni are both N types, they are driven by inspiration. Just as Se will seek new experiences, Ne seeks new inspirations. And just as Si savors sense impressions, Ni savors their inspirations.

I feel that socionics does a better job of describing the cognitive processes, because they are more faithful to Jung's ideas, unlike modern MBTI theory. What makes socionics different from Jung is the functional order of each type, which implements more Freudian ideas.

EDIT: As far as j and p in socionics, as opposed to J and P in MBTI, it's more based on what kind function dominates rather than which function is extroverted. Ixxp means the person's dominant function is both an introverted and perceiving function in socionics. Ixxj means the person's dominant function is introverted and judging. In MBTI, IxxP means the person extroverts his/her perceiving function, IxxJ means the person extroverts his/her judgment function.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post

With Si harmony, it's not really the same as an Fi harmony, it's more about keeping peace and maintaining balance and harmony (AKA stability) of the physical world rather than adapting to what comes up, as it is with Se, or being driven by human values, as it is with Fi.

Likewise, Jung viewed Ne as the expression of a vision and noted how Ne types do not necessarily bring the visions to life by themselves, but rather inspire others with the expression of their vision. Jung also viewed Ne as challenging of the status quo and instigating change through example rather than necessarily following through -- inspiring others with their own inspirations. By contrast, the Ni type will muse upon internal mental wanderings.

Both Se and Si are S types, so they are driven by sensations, but where Se will be curious about new sensations and experiences, Si savors their sensations.

Likewise, as both Ne and Ni are both N types, they are driven by inspiration. Just as Se will seek new experiences, Ne seeks new inspirations. And just as Si savors sense impressions, Ni savors their inspirations.

I feel that socionics does a better job of describing the cognitive processes, because they are more faithful to Jung's ideas, unlike modern MBTI theory. What makes socionics different from Jung is the functional order of each type, which implements more Freudian ideas.

EDIT: As far as j and p in socionics, as opposed to J and P in MBTI, it's more based on which function dominates rather than which function is extroverted. Ixxp means the person is an introverted perceiver in socionics. In MBTI, IxxP means the person extroverts his/her perceiving function.
    Now I am really tempted to rethink my earlier decision.

I am not sure what to make out of all the different definitions and explanations of the functions. I am not refering just to MBTI v. socionics either.

I will read several descriptions of a trait and decide whether my ability with that trait is good, medium or poor. Then I read another description and it can change that drastically.

Se/Si is a good cases in point. I took the test at congativeprocesses.com earlier today and it scored me good in Si and unused in Se, which is the opposite of what I thought it would be. I noticed that it too, had different definitions of Si and Se.

Based on the soicionics definition I would be more Si than Se. It is very important to me to have nice decoration in my office and home, which I thought of as very Se. However, most of my decorations are designed to give the place a feeling of harmony. My art room at home is an extreme example - the primary decorations in the room are mandalas.

I have some more thoughts and questions along this line, but I think I will post a new thread about them under the "MBTI, Enneagram, and other personality matrices" section since it is not just about socionics.

Ilah

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post

EDIT: As far as j and p in socionics, as opposed to J and P in MBTI, it's more based on what kind function dominates rather than which function is extroverted. Ixxp means the person's dominant function is both an introverted and perceiving function in socionics. Ixxj means the person's dominant function is introverted and judging. In MBTI, IxxP means the person extroverts his/her perceiving function, IxxJ means the person extroverts his/her judgment function.
    That's just crazy accurate (sorry, I've been hearing too much Olympics commentary)
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    Based on the soicionics definition I would be more Si than Se. It is very important to me to have nice decoration in my office and home, which I thought of as very Se. However, most of my decorations are designed to give the place a feeling of harmony. My art room at home is an extreme example - the primary decorations in the room are mandalas. Ilah
    that's a behavior that many Fi's find they have in common. Fe's want to create spaces in which people can be harmonious when they gather there...
    edcoaching