• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] How can I make my Fe not suck

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My Fe sucks. I'm the worst ISFJ in the history of the planet. How do I stop. I need practical advice for how to start growing my Fe that comes from either personal experience, suggestions, or websites whose first line isn't "ISFJs are the homemakers, carers and facilitators of the world." Thanks in advance.

Diablesse

My Fe sucks. I'm the worst ISFJ in the history of the planet. How do I stop. I need practical advice for how to start growing my Fe that comes from either personal experience, suggestions, or websites whose first line isn't "ISFJs are the homemakers, carers and facilitators of the world." Thanks in advance.

Find a relative with a small child and offer to babysit for a day.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Find a relative with a small child and offer to babysit for a day.

None of my relatives have children. I and my little sister are the only children in my entire family. I have no cousins, either. My family does not have any "family friends" I can ask either. I also have terrible social anxiety that prevents me from feeling comfortable reaching out to a complete stranger to complete this objective. I would probably have to work on the anxiety first, but I don't know how to go about it.

purplesocks

MBTI Type
ExFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION] You don't seem to have bad Fe to me, from what I've seen of your posts. Going along with the person's suggestion before me, might I suggest helping out at a camp for kids?

Diablesse

None of my relatives have children. I and my little sister are the only children in my entire family. I have no cousins, either. My family does not have any "family friends" I can ask either. I also have terrible social anxiety that prevents me from feeling comfortable reaching out to a complete stranger to complete this objective. I would probably have to work on the anxiety first, but I don't know how to go about it.

You could offer to volunteer at a hospital or retirement home any caretaking kind of work would develop Fe.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION] You don't seem to have bad Fe to me, from what I've seen of your posts.

That's because I've done a great job of controlling my whiny pessimistic in-the-grip-Ne outbursts by keeping it off of this forum. Up until I started this thread, anyway. The more a person gets to know me (especially talking in real-time), and the more comfortable I become around them, the more you will realize I am not a well-developed or very healthy person at all.

Going along with the person's suggestion before me, might I suggest helping out at a camp for kids?

You could offer to volunteer at a hospital or retirement home any caretaking kind of work would develop Fe.

I need baby steps. I need to start off with something way smaller and easier. I don't know of any camps around here, plus I'm in the middle of college. I also would rather stick my head in a public toilet for 30 seconds than spend a weekend volunteering for free when I could be at home catching up on sleep or doing nothing for the first time since the previous weekend. This is what I mean by me being a shitty Fe type. While I like keeping myself and my personal environment clean and neat, I have no interest in caretaking or helping strangers if it means going out of my way and sacrificing my personal time. I had to volunteer for 5 hours at a library once back in high school and it was the most boring thing ever. All I did was clean shelves. I hate cleaning places if I don't get to enjoy the cleanliness afterwards (so I only really clean my room and my bathroom).

If I'm ever going to be healthy enough to actually care about people beyond me and my squad, I'm going to need to start off much more small-scale. I'm too lazy and stupid to make such a big leap (or at least it is to me). I don't know what to do. I don't know if I'm ever going to be a "normal" ISFJ. Is there anything I can do to develop Fe that's smaller and less demanding that I can start off with? Little baby steps. Someone once told me to hang out with Fe-doms to develop my Fe, but I don't know any IRL and don't know how to meet people or make friends and haven't made any since high school. I can count the number of friends I have on my finger, and they're all TeFi.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This thread was a bad idea. I'm going to regret everything. I'm going to leave for a while to hang out with a friend and then come back when I'm less angsty.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just go to various groups and get the feel of people.

Then simply be.

I was in the grip of Ti too long, myself. I thought I needed to "think" about things before I did them or said them. But Fe is action oriented and amazing enough, I don't need to think about things to actually use it.

I have if I just start writing or talking, focused on others, I will have the right words to say and just naturally know what to do.

For example, I was just at the store. The woman in front of me was taking some time and trying to get a discount of the product. I just started talking why her and soon was providing her comfort and advice as if we were old friends. We laughed, we commiserated, we just lived. When she was finally done, she thanked me. She had had a long day and was worn out and needed the emotional lift. The woman behind me, seeing I was a friendly person, asked me where I had found my purchase in the store, and we chatted. And the cashier had an easier go because spending longer time with the other customer didn't result in a bunch of angry people afterwards.

Fe is in our actions, our words, our attitude. Now, I didn't one actually think about a single thing I said before I said it, where I used to think I had process every word before it left my mouth. But what I realized was that when I am at my best, I am never thinking about what is flowing out.....I am just doing.

Now, ISFJs are different, since you lead with Si. You reference past experiences first. But what ïf you don't usage past experiences, or not many? Well, go get some. Get more data for your Si to process, get more experiences for your Fe is to use for understanding.

I have a friend with a ISFJ wife. She is pretty quiet, thoughtful, gets worn out in large groups, etc. She, like me, can sense the changes in a group (her children predominantly, for her), feeling exactly when things go from fun to problems, even when she isn't in the room with them.

purplesocks

MBTI Type
ExFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This thread was a bad idea. I'm going to regret everything. I'm going to leave for a while to hang out with a friend and then come back when I'm less angsty.
No. no. I think it's a good question. I only have a very small group of real friends, too. I also get overwhelming anxiety about things that include prolonged interaction with people I don't know or hardly know. I constantly doubt my abilities, but when I lighten up things tend to go great. I'm not exactly the most stable person all the time, either. Honestly, just be yourself. Not all Fe users need to be "caretakers." Just the same, I knew an Fi user that very much took a caretaker like role with me. I'm a college student too, by the way. Maybe you could get one of your friends to go to a club meeting on campus with you? I'm not sure how great my feeling function is to offer much help, but I do hope my advice is beneficial in some way.

elcie

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have similar issues. I actually became a care worker just for the purpose of developing my Fe. It has helped a bit, but I still don't feel "balanced out", and I don't think tbh that ISFJ is necessarily suited to the work I do all that well. (Although I guess that's kind of the point). At this point I think what would help me out a lot would be to find a mentor or role model, to show me "how to do it", maybe a better-developed ISFJ or an ESFJ or ENFJ. That hasn't materialised yet though...

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why? What do you like about them? Why do you hang out with them?

Why what? Why do I not have a lot of friends?? I don't know, I'm just not good at connecting with people. The only reason I have the friends I have now is because they pestered me long enough that I finally began to warm up to them. During the transition from high school to college, I lost contact with a lot of people. I deleted everyone on facebook except a few people that I like and family members, so I'm down to ~30 friends, and I only even regularly talk to 3. I only consider ~4 people to actually be my friends. I'm shy, don't want to do what you "have" to do to befriend people (ex. approach them, get contact info, converse and/or hang out in person regularly), and honestly I get annoyed when I'm in public somewhere (like at school) and someone just randomly starts talking to me. I'd rather them just leave me alone to whatever I was thinking about.

I love the friends that I do have. Family? Don't really care about that. I've never been very attached to any of my family members. My friends are what come first in my life. Well... second. I am first. I am easy to get along with, but hard to get to know. It's not like I'm completely awkward in conversation and don't know how to talk to people. It's that I hate it. I had to have a one-on-one meeting with a professor just this past week (she wanted to meet with everyone one on one and "get to know" them) and she praised me for being the most relaxed, easygoing student she had talked to so far. But I get drained by social interaction really fast. I don't know why I hang out with my friends. We have common interests, but they're uncommon to the general population. We've known each other for years and years. I can't consider someone a friend if I haven't known them for a very long time.

Just go to various groups and get the feel of people.

Then simply be.

I was in the grip of Ti too long, myself. I thought I needed to "think" about things before I did them or said them. But Fe is action oriented and amazing enough, I don't need to think about things to actually use it.

I have if I just start writing or talking, focused on others, I will have the right words to say and just naturally know what to do.

For example, I was just at the store. The woman in front of me was taking some time and trying to get a discount of the product. I just started talking why her and soon was providing her comfort and advice as if we were old friends. We laughed, we commiserated, we just lived. When she was finally done, she thanked me. She had had a long day and was worn out and needed the emotional lift. The woman behind me, seeing I was a friendly person, asked me where I had found my purchase in the store, and we chatted. And the cashier had an easier go because spending longer time with the other customer didn't result in a bunch of angry people afterwards.

Fe is in our actions, our words, our attitude. Now, I didn't one actually think about a single thing I said before I said it, where I used to think I had process every word before it left my mouth. But what I realized was that when I am at my best, I am never thinking about what is flowing out.....I am just doing.

Now, ISFJs are different, since you lead with Si. You reference past experiences first. But what ïf you don't usage past experiences, or not many? Well, go get some. Get more data for your Si to process, get more experiences for your Fe is to use for understanding.

I have a friend with a ISFJ wife. She is pretty quiet, thoughtful, gets worn out in large groups, etc. She, like me, can sense the changes in a group (her children predominantly, for her), feeling exactly when things go from fun to problems, even when she isn't in the room with them.

I am uncomfortable with simply "joining" groups. I'd be able to survive, and people would find me likable--I am very much a jokester and an entertainer around others. I can make people laugh and I can brighten the atmosphere, when I feel comfortable. But I don't like doing so. I've made small talk with people in lines before, and it's been pleasant, but I rarely leave my house and don't really have many opportunities to do so--nor do I particularly find reason to.

I don't relate to descriptions of Fe at all, but I've been agonizing over my type for years now. I don't think there's any way that I'm not an ISFJ, but I'm a fucked up, broken ISFJ. I can survive in social interactions and look good while doing it. I hate presenting for school, but I am really charismatic when doing it. Anyone I've ever had to give a presentation in front of refuses to believe I am an introvert, but there is no way I am extroverted. Especially with Fe as messed up as mine.

No. no. I think it's a good question. I only have a very small group of real friends, too. I also get overwhelming anxiety about things that include prolonged interaction with people I don't know or hardly know. I constantly doubt my abilities, but when I lighten up things tend to go great. I'm not exactly the most stable person all the time, either. Honestly, just be yourself. Not all Fe users need to be "caretakers." Just the same, I knew an Fi user that very much took a caretaker like role with me. I'm a college student too, by the way. Maybe you could get one of your friends to go to a club meeting on campus with you? I'm not sure how great my feeling function is to offer much help, but I do hope my advice is beneficial in some way.

It's the whole "caretaker" nature of Fe that I can't relate to, but that's all the descriptions are. "ISFJs are caretakers, homemakers, nurturers," blah blah blah. I don't relate to that at all. I don't live to serve others. I'd rather not have to deal with other people at all. I just want to be left alone and in turn leave other people alone. I don't "blind accept the norms of society" and all this other objective value stuff Fe is about or whatever.

The reason I'm whining and crying for attention over Fe is because I'm not happy. No one in my family is happy. Maybe if I just develop my Fe I'll learn to be happy. Maybe I should just find some rich old person and become their live-in free-labor slave and nurse them until they die. Chew and regurgitate their food for them, clean their marble floor with a toothbrush on my hands and knees. Obviously this is an angsty exaggeration, and I'm never going to do anything like this, nor do I think any Fe user wants this. But I just hate it.

I've never been the type to participate in school clubs. There is nothing I'm passionate about, and I only have one friend who even lives in the same city as me, and his classes are all morning, mine are all afternoon and evening for the most part. He's taking 20 credit hours and working 40+ hours a week, and honestly, I'd rather sit in my room and cry than go to a club meeting and have to force small talk and meet a bunch of new people whose names and faces I'll forget within 5 minutes.

I have similar issues. I actually became a care worker just for the purpose of developing my Fe. It has helped a bit, but I still don't feel "balanced out", and I don't think tbh that ISFJ is necessarily suited to the work I do all that well. (Although I guess that's kind of the point). At this point I think what would help me out a lot would be to find a mentor or role model, to show me "how to do it", maybe a better-developed ISFJ or an ESFJ or ENFJ. That hasn't materialised yet though...

All the advice in the world I've been able to find is about learning to serve others and put their needs before your own and volunteer and all this stuff I'd rather not do because it's not something I would like to do or even want to do. Finding a healthy Fe-user would be great if I wasn't a pos who refuses to go out and meet people.

Don't grow the Fe. Please don't grow the Fe.

If I don't, I will continue to be a broken type.

I'm sorry, everyone, I know I'm being impossible. I'm whining for attention, complaining, asking for help, and then shooting down every idea that comes me way. I'm aware of this. This is why I said this thread was a bad idea and I regret it. For so long now I've been able to keep my episodes off the forum and keep them contained but it's spilled over a bit. But I just don't know what to do. Okay, let me rephrase that. I know what to do, and I'm unwilling to do it. I want the easy solution. I want the effortless answer. But everything I can think of equates to me as submitting myself to being an unhappy, selfless slave who has no sense of self and only lives to serve others and that sounds fucking awful to me. Maybe if I was able to have normal Fe like a normal ISFJ I wouldn't be so screwed up and unhappy and so tightly wound all the time. There is no purpose to this thread other than me kicking and screaming until someone gives me attention and then making them regret that they ever did.

Diablesse

That's because I've done a great job of controlling my whiny pessimistic in-the-grip-Ne outbursts by keeping it off of this forum. Up until I started this thread, anyway. The more a person gets to know me (especially talking in real-time), and the more comfortable I become around them, the more you will realize I am not a well-developed or very healthy person at all.

I need baby steps. I need to start off with something way smaller and easier. I don't know of any camps around here, plus I'm in the middle of college. I also would rather stick my head in a public toilet for 30 seconds than spend a weekend volunteering for free when I could be at home catching up on sleep or doing nothing for the first time since the previous weekend. This is what I mean by me being a shitty Fe type. While I like keeping myself and my personal environment clean and neat, I have no interest in caretaking or helping strangers if it means going out of my way and sacrificing my personal time. I had to volunteer for 5 hours at a library once back in high school and it was the most boring thing ever. All I did was clean shelves. I hate cleaning places if I don't get to enjoy the cleanliness afterwards (so I only really clean my room and my bathroom).

If I'm ever going to be healthy enough to actually care about people beyond me and my squad, I'm going to need to start off much more small-scale. I'm too lazy and stupid to make such a big leap (or at least it is to me). I don't know what to do. I don't know if I'm ever going to be a "normal" ISFJ. Is there anything I can do to develop Fe that's smaller and less demanding that I can start off with? Little baby steps. Someone once told me to hang out with Fe-doms to develop my Fe, but I don't know any IRL and don't know how to meet people or make friends and haven't made any since high school. I can count the number of friends I have on my finger, and they're all TeFi.

Well, you could try a houseplant? lol.

I don't know what to say except maybe you should have titled this thread, how do I develop "self acceptance".

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...200809/the-path-unconditional-self-acceptance

My primary feeling function is Fi, but since I am also an enneagram type 2, I have a good dose of Fe.

"Extraverted Feeling deals with understanding others emotions and feelings in the present moment. Extraverted Feeling is very attentive to others and can just sense what others are currently feeling. It is able to quickly assess the mood of the environment. It is also very skilled at changing the mood, whether they want to make it more upbeat or sadder."

I suggested babysitting a small child for a day because I had just spent the day with my 2 1/2 year old grandson and for personal reasons and observations of his behavior and environment decided to lavish love and attention on him (he just soaked it up like a little sponge). When I picked him up from his fathers house he was in the most miserable mood I have ever seen him in, so its been my project this weekend to try and make his life as pleasant as I possibly could. I felt like Helen Keller's teacher. He went from crying for everything he needed and wanted to realizing an attentive person was present and trusting he could attempt to verbalize/communicate his wants and needs, from throwing things to actually handing them to me, from frusteration and temper tantrums to a pleasant happy little child who has been a pleasure to be with and around. So you could say I spoiled him in a good way, but thats what Mom-moms are for :bye:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Try to get married have a kids, that's when your Fe perform at it's best[emoji12] or try watching more romantic comedy movies [emoji851]
don't worry about it you're still young, these functions change and grow over years..
Now keep quite and give me a hug, this shall works too [emoji39]

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION]

It sounds like you are unhappy but also unwilling to take chances to change that.

There's nothing wrong with being introverted (which it sounds like you are very introverted). I don't think forcing yourself into stressful situations is going to develop anything but stress.

Maybe go for quality of interaction rather than quantity? And why do you need to care for others? This is your life. MBTI isn't a handbook of what you should be or do. It's just how you process information. I don't understand how you're a bad ISFJ. Because you're not in a care field? So what. Lots of ISFJ's aren't.

If you can't find joy in anything then maybe you are depressed? It is a good question to ask yourself.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@21lux it seems to me that it isn't Fe exactly is your problem. It's just simply extroverting. As cold, cut, and dry as this seems, you just need to make more friends. It's a jump because it's outside of your comfort zone, many types get into so called "loops" because they don't want to get out of it.

It's difficult but you just got to remember it will get easier over time.

Progression doesnt happen over night. It is what you say, "baby steps."

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder if part of the inner conflict is that you are truly an introvert and this idea of developing Fe is synonymous with feeling pressure to become an extrovert?

I don't think you have to start taking care of everyone in the world. Fe-aux in its healthy state is not the same as it is for a Fe-dom. For Si-Fe it is also going to be defined by your unique personal experience as a Si-dom. If most of your relationships are Fi-Te, then that will shape your Fe in a way that is natural for your experience.

Perhaps think about the feeling and experience you are searching for yourself, and start giving that to others, even if it is just one or two people in your innermost social group. While I'm not 100% certain I'm a Fe-aux, I'll still speak from experience with the assumption I am. When I felt badly about myself I started by complimenting others. When I helped others feel good about their own self, then it helped me to feel good about myself as someone bringing positivity into the world. What do you wish to feel inside yourself? Offer words and actions to give that to someone else. You don't have to practice Fe or save the world, but just give to others what you need and then it may come back to you.

You can relax and trust the process of natural growth, and instead of trying to become some external idea of "Fe", you can allow your own unique version of it to grow in yourself and into the world.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, you could try a houseplant? lol.

I don't know what to say except maybe you should have titled this thread, how do I develop "self acceptance".

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...200809/the-path-unconditional-self-acceptance

My primary feeling function is Fi, but since I am also an enneagram type 2, I have a good dose of Fe.

"Extraverted Feeling deals with understanding others emotions and feelings in the present moment. Extraverted Feeling is very attentive to others and can just sense what others are currently feeling. It is able to quickly assess the mood of the environment. It is also very skilled at changing the mood, whether they want to make it more upbeat or sadder."

I suggested babysitting a small child for a day because I had just spent the day with my 2 1/2 year old grandson and for personal reasons and observations of his behavior and environment decided to lavish love and attention on him (he just soaked it up like a little sponge). When I picked him up from his fathers house he was in the most miserable mood I have ever seen him in, so its been my project this weekend to try and make his life as pleasant as I possibly could. I felt like Helen Keller's teacher. He went from crying for everything he needed and wanted to realizing an attentive person was present and trusting he could attempt to verbalize/communicate his wants and needs, from throwing things to actually handing them to me, from frusteration and temper tantrums to a pleasant happy little child who has been a pleasure to be with and around. So you could say I spoiled him in a good way, but thats what Mom-moms are for :bye:

Lol @ houseplant because that was literally my last thought before falling asleep! That or a pet. Although I already have plenty of pets. Except they're all dying. My hamster is gonna die of old age soon and same with my fish, he's slowly dying right now and it kills me to watch him. I'm not going to get another fish after him because he's my third one and watching them die never gets easier. I'll probably get another hamster in the future though.

I can relate to the beginning of that description--feeling in the present moment. I guess my problem is that I tend to not really outwardly express it. I'm uncomfortable showing my "true" emotions around other people (how are you? oh I'm fine. Not gonna say that I'm not fine, that's just awkward, you know?) and get really uncomfortable when people get emotional around me as well. I'm super bad at comforting people when they're upset. When people start ugly crying near me it makes me start tearing up even if I don't really care what they're crying about.

I would probably be an okay babysitter. I'm very responsible and for some reason little kids like me, probably because I'm just a Big Kid who's never grown up (instead I'm just allowed to use a car and curse words now). Lol once when I worked in customer service I sang the krusty krab pizza song with this kid who was there with his dad while I helped them with whatever it was. I'd probably be able to put up with something like that for a day every once in a while, but would die if it was an everyday thing. Luckily it's not. Maybe if anyone I know ever has kids I can do that.

Try to get married have a kids, that's when your Fe perform at it's best[emoji12] or try watching more romantic comedy movies [emoji851]
don't worry about it you're still young, these functions change and grow over years..
Now keep quite and give me a hug, this shall works too [emoji39]

Thank you for your suggestion, though I have no desire to get married or have kids. :p

It sounds like you are unhappy but also unwilling to take chances to change that.

There's nothing wrong with being introverted (which it sounds like you are very introverted). I don't think forcing yourself into stressful situations is going to develop anything but stress.

Maybe go for quality of interaction rather than quantity? And why do you need to care for others? This is your life. MBTI isn't a handbook of what you should be or do. It's just how you process information. I don't understand how you're a bad ISFJ. Because you're not in a care field? So what. Lots of ISFJ's aren't.

If you can't find joy in anything then maybe you are depressed? It is a good question to ask yourself.

Yup, that's exactly my problem, and even I know it. I know I'm stuck in an unhealthy loop and yet making even minor lifestyle changes makes me go into shutdown mode pretty quickly and I hate it. Quality > quantity is definitely a good idea. The reason I think I'm a "bad ISFJ" is because every ISFJ description (even though I know pretty much all descriptions are shit) are all about how kind and sweet ISFJs are and how they're all caretakers and nurturers and I look at it and I'm just like :| cuz I don't relate to it at all. Everyone in my family, on both sides, has depression. I can't get medication though because I'm completely dependent on my dad right now since I'm going to school full time and can't afford it, and my dad also can't afford it and also doesn't want to because he says I won't be able to afford it when I move out and that it's better that I don't become dependent on it or something. Even though my little sister who lives int he same house as me gets medication. I can find joy in things, just not anything that's really worth anything. I like video games and hanging out with my friends but that doesn't happen much during the school year because all but one of my friends live out of city/state and go to different schools than me, and the one who does live here works 40 hour workweeks on top of taking 20+ credit hours (he's killing himself, he doesn't even need to work he's living at home for free no rent). I got to see him last night though and it helped me calm down a little. I think it's getting worse in anticipation for the end of next semester. I'm a year behind all of my friends (same class in high school but I took 3 years at a community college before transferring to a university for the last two so now I'm a year behind) and next semester is their last semester. During the junior high to high school and high school to college transitions, I lost a lot of people due to lack of regular contact and whatnot and I guess I'm subconsciously bracing myself to lose the few people I have left.

Obviously, this is way more than anyone asked for and the people on this forum are not therapists or any sort of professional help. I'm just explaining a little due to the whole depression question.

@21lux it seems to me that it isn't Fe exactly is your problem. It's just simply extroverting. As cold, cut, and dry as this seems, you just need to make more friends. It's a jump because it's outside of your comfort zone, many types get into so called "loops" because they don't want to get out of it.

It's difficult but you just got to remember it will get easier over time.

Progression doesnt happen over night. It is what you say, "baby steps."

I think that would actually run me into the ground lol. I can't just walk up to some random person and say hi without trembling and worrying about if the're confused why some random nerd is saying hi to them out of nowhere and over-analyzing everything. I'm honestly surprised I've even been able to be this open on the forum. Probably because I can dip out at any time with no repercussions. If I become overwhelmed with how much I've embarrassed myself and become too uncomfortable, I can just log out and never log in again and nothing bad will ever happen to me because unless I make it happen I won't have to see anyone here ever again. But I don't do that because I don't mind. It just takes me a really long time to get comfortable. Three weeks left of the semester, and I'm able to make small talk with the people sitting next to me in classes. I don't know how to get past the small talk stage though. I don't know how to ask for someone's number/facebook and ask to hang out or what you do when you hang out or even necessarily want to do any of them. I came close once a few years ago--girl I was friendly with when I ran help sessions as a supplemental instructor for logic at my old community college added me on facebook and we texted a bit, but I was always super awkward, can't keep up a conversation, and am always too paranoid to talk to people. We never talk anymore but I still had her contact info and we're still facebook friends. What do people do when they meet new people anyway? It's just so unbearable to me. Like I just can't wait for them to go away and it all to be over. And when anyone who's not already my friend wants to hang out (so obviously no one anytime in the past few years lol) wants to hang out with me my immediate reaction is no, go run and hide somewhere. Because I'd much rather be at home doing nothing. So just meeting new people would be baby steps in terms of how long the progress takes to get to the end goal but still one giant step in the very beginning, if that makes sense.

I wonder if part of the inner conflict is that you are truly an introvert and this idea of developing Fe is synonymous with feeling pressure to become an extrovert?

I don't think you have to start taking care of everyone in the world. Fe-aux in its healthy state is not the same as it is for a Fe-dom. For Si-Fe it is also going to be defined by your unique personal experience as a Si-dom. If most of your relationships are Fi-Te, then that will shape your Fe in a way that is natural for your experience.

Perhaps think about the feeling and experience you are searching for yourself, and start giving that to others, even if it is just one or two people in your innermost social group. While I'm not 100% certain I'm a Fe-aux, I'll still speak from experience with the assumption I am. When I felt badly about myself I started by complimenting others. When I helped others feel good about their own self, then it helped me to feel good about myself as someone bringing positivity into the world. What do you wish to feel inside yourself? Offer words and actions to give that to someone else. You don't have to practice Fe or save the world, but just give to others what you need and then it may come back to you.

You can relax and trust the process of natural growth, and instead of trying to become some external idea of "Fe", you can allow your own unique version of it to grow in yourself and into the world.

My obsession with developing Fe comes from my dumb fit of angst that happens when I suddenly get thrown into Ne-overdrive. I relate so much more to Fi than Fe but I'm just not an Fi type. Which makes me stressed and upset because there's this way that I'm "supposed" to be but I'm not that way, and I want a label but my label doesn't fit me right. I think the reason I can relate so much to Fi and Te is because all my friends are ISTJs and so I've picked up a lot of their mannerisms. I know Fe-aux isn't anything like Fe-dom, because I'm Si-dom (and in that regard a relate a LOT to my ISTJs), but when I read about how I'm supposed to be a caretaker and nice and how everyone loves their local ISFJ because they're so sweet and remember everyone's names and faces and are smiling all the time and do random acts of kindness and buy everyone flowers on their birthday and compare it to me, the loner with a resting bitchface they can't control who can barely express warmth to others without wanting to die of awkwardness and can't even recognize people I apparently have more than one class with when they walk up to me with an enthusiastic "Hey Riley! what did we do in class last week?" and ignore other people and never do anything for them unless I'm pressured into it, it just makes me feel like I'm broken. That I'm not right and I have to be fixed. That I'm a Bad ISFJ because I'm supposed to fit the stereotype but I don't.

Honestly, just letting whatever is going to happen, happen, is most likely going to be what I end up doing. I'm going to keep on doing the exact same stuff I always do, and most days it won't be that bad and I won't even think about it, honestly. But then whenever I am gripped by inferior Ne I'm going to get sent right back into panic mode. If not about Fe, then about something else. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong area entirely. Maybe to hell with my Fe, how do I make my Ne not suck?

Starry

I don't relate to descriptions of Fe at all, but I've been agonizing over my type for years now. I don't think there's any way that I'm not an ISFJ, but I'm a fucked up, broken ISFJ. I can survive in social interactions and look good while doing it. I hate presenting for school, but I am really charismatic when doing it. Anyone I've ever had to give a presentation in front of refuses to believe I am an introvert, but there is no way I am extroverted. Especially with Fe as messed up as mine.

It's the whole "caretaker" nature of Fe that I can't relate to, but that's all the descriptions are. "ISFJs are caretakers, homemakers, nurturers," blah blah blah. I don't relate to that at all. I don't live to serve others. I'd rather not have to deal with other people at all. I just want to be left alone and in turn leave other people alone. I don't "blind accept the norms of society" and all this other objective value stuff Fe is about or whatever.

I'm not entirely sure how you imagine Fe to be... but I primarily find the SFJ descriptions to be an insult to the SFJ... which in turn causes confusion for these individuals and produces a disproportionately high number of mistypes. You only *seem like* one of the few ISFJs on this site. But I assure you - you are not alone and your Fe in no way sucks.

Do "caretaker" SFJs exist? Sure. But most SFJs that I've encountered here are dynamic intellectuals that do not live to serve others.